OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:09:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Blood of Jesus  (Read 1248 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: December 22, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »

What is the place (and emphasis) of the "blood of Jesus" in Orthodox theology? There seem to be a lot of Scriptural passages which mention it, but Orthodoxy seems to shy away from such language unless it is in the eucharistic context. Here are a few examples from the Scriptures of what I'm talking about:

"How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" - Heb. 9:14

"Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him." - Rom. 5:9

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." - 1 Jn. 1:7

"Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot" - 1 Pet. 1:18-19

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »

What is the place (and emphasis) of the "blood of Jesus" in Orthodox theology? There seem to be a lot of Scriptural passages which mention it, but Orthodoxy seems to shy away from such language unless it is in the eucharistic context.

What other context is needed?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »

I'm going to agree with ialmisry on this one for the Blood of Christ is seen as a metaphor for Baptism.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:43:46 PM »

As an atonement for sin, "justified by his blood," etc.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:47:23 PM »

I'm going to agree with ialmisry on this one for the Blood of Christ is seen as a metaphor for Baptism.

What??? Please tell me you meant to say "Communion" and not "Baptism."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »

Doesn't a Holy Tradition say that the skull of Adam (which was on the site of Golgotha) was Baptized by the blood and water which gushed from the side of Christ after being stabbed post-mortem?
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »

It's not a "metaphor" for anything.  It is what it says it is: the blood that was shed on the Cross from the flesh of the God-Man.

Baptism effects the work of the Blood, yes, but we wouldn't say it's a "symbol" of the Blood.

I think the difference you're referring to stems from the misuse by some western Christians of these verses.  The blood of Jesus is seen exclusively as a divine and infinitely worthy forensic and legal transaction paid by the Son to the Father in order to "square our bill" with the Father, thus "justifying" and "cleansing" us from our sin, which is ultimately a legal debt in the mind of the Father that needs to be cleared.

We definitely use the blood of Jesus, but our use of it tends to be much more ontological and based on our obedience, which I would say is the use we see in those passages you cited.  Mankind, as St. Athanasius pointed out, owed a debt, but it was not a debt of offense or transgression of law to the Father, but rather a natural consequence of mortality that was the direct result of our separating ourselves from the Source of our life.  We are brought from the body of death we're in and placed in a place where we can potentially "serve the living God."  We, then, "if we walk in the light, as he is in the light," make use of the Life that is in the Blood which then counteracts the death in our members.

See HERE and HERE for a more lengthy reflection of mine.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »

I recall a number of Traditions linking Baptism and Eucharist with the water and blood out of the Lord's side. Besides that, and the Blood on Adam's skull, and the baptism of blood of martyrs, I don't know of any other link between blood explicitly linked to the waters of baptism, though we are baptized into Christ's death.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 12:36:29 AM »

DavidBryan,

Along with the articles you linked to, thank you also for your posts, both here and also on the thread Why Orthodox do not believe in the penal satifaction theory....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:38:00 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 02:59:56 AM »

You're welcome.  Thank God they've helped.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags: blood communion Eucharist 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: