OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 03:22:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arabic "if God allows" question  (Read 5369 times) Average Rating: 0
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« on: December 22, 2008, 05:03:15 AM »

I know Arabs say "Inshalla" (sp?) to express "if God allows", with the meaning "let us hope for it".

My question is whether that expression is used by Arab Christians (so I can use it), or is accompanied by some Islamic meaning, so if I say "Inshalla" I somehow betray Orthodoxy?

Proper spelling of the word would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:27:38 AM »

It's written "insha'Allah" according to poster SamB on this thread. (reply #4)
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »

If I recall correctly, our very own sister Tamara recently mentioned that her grandmother used to say it, so it must be OK for an Orthodox. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:03:05 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11:26 AM »

Copts say it all the time.  God willing means yes, If God wills means no Smiley
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »

Copts say it all the time.  God willing means yes, If God wills means no Smiley

Do Copts say "insha'Allah" in Arabic, or use some other expression in Coptic?

I asked the question initially because someone close to me use it in Arabic, since he likes the term and sound. I wanted to know if it is safe to use or not. The answer from the link above (thanks Robert and Sam) is undobutedly yes, it's safe for Orthodox to say it.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »

If I recall correctly, our very own sister Tamara recently mentioned that her grandmother used to say it, so it must be OK for an Orthodox. Smiley

Grin Grin Grin

You use quite an Orthodox argument to reason it.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »

I know Arabs say "Inshalla" (sp?) to express "if God allows", with the meaning "let us hope for it".

My question is whether that expression is used by Arab Christians (so I can use it), or is accompanied by some Islamic meaning, so if I say "Inshalla" I somehow betray Orthodoxy?

Proper spelling of the word would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

No, "in shaa'a Allaah" is constantly used by Arab Christians of all persuasions.  Myself, I say 'in shaa'a al-Rabb, "If the Lord wills," on good authority (James 4:15).

Btw, the Arabic In shaa'a Allaah becomes ojala in Spanish, oxala in Portuguese, with the same meaning.

Usage of Insha'Allah derives from Islamic scripture, Surat Al Kahf (18):24: "And never say of anything, 'I shall do such and such thing tomorrow. Except (with the saying): 'If God wills!' And remember your lord when you forget...'"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insha%27Allah

Hmm. I've heard something similar:

13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” 14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.” 16 But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil. 17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

seems Allah sounds a lot like the Brother of God.

Of course the Crusaders stood it on its head with "Deo lo vult" but that's another matter...

Oh, proper spelling:
ان شاء الله

Grin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:55:26 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:09:34 PM »

Oh, proper spelling:
ان شاء الله

Grin

Grin Grin Grin

Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »

mashaa'Allah  Wink

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »

mashaa'Allah  Wink

laa, Allaahu a'lam (God knows).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »

mashaa'Allah  Wink

Huh?

It's "pure" Serbian - in widespread use in colloquial Serbian in some areas to refer something done very good, as kudos, respect and good wishes to someone. After all, we used to live within the same empire with Arabs a couple of centuries.

Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 07:12:29 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the questions.

Yes, as an Arab-Christian, in our family we always say "Inshallah" which means "God's Will."

God in Arabic is "Allah" and the word "Allah" has been used by Arab Christians for Centuries before Islam. So yes, both, Christian and Muslim Arabs use "Inshallah" and others words and or phrases....

By the way, my best-friend who is non-Arab (A Roman Catholic) always in writing and speaking says to me "Insh-Allah," because she understands the meaning and importance of it since she too believes in "God's Will...."

In Christ,
Hadel
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:16:23 AM by Hadel » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 08:32:04 AM »

mashaa'Allah  Wink

Huh?

It's "pure" Serbian - in widespread use in colloquial Serbian in some areas to refer something done very good, as kudos, respect and good wishes to someone. After all, we used to live within the same empire with Arabs a couple of centuries.

Oh.  In Arabic it means "What God has willed."  Used much the same (saying good right out would attract the evil eye).

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 08:33:59 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the questions.

Yes, as an Arab-Christian, in our family we always say "Inshallah" which means "God's Will."

God in Arabic is "Allah" and the word "Allah" has been used by Arab Christians for Centuries before Islam. So yes, both, Christian and Muslim Arabs use "Inshallah" and others words and or phrases....

By the way, my best-friend who is non-Arab (A Roman Catholic) always in writing and speaking says to me "Insh-Allah," because she understands the meaning and importance of it since she too believes in "God's Will...."

In Christ,
Hadel

Yes, even my Arab hating ex-wife picked it up (though she thinks whatever she wants is God's will, and ended up at a Mega-Church where that thinking prevails).

Tags: arab arabic Inshalla insha'Allah 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: