Author Topic: Eucharistic Practice  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
Eucharistic Practice
« on: December 21, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
I just visited the Greek Orthodox Church they have here in Springfield, IL for the first time for Sunday Mass! ;D
I enjoyed it, except I was the only one with covered hair (I can live with that).
But there was an unnerving thing that happened. During the Eucharist, the parishioners were taking pieces of bread from a silver tray and eating it on the way back to their seats. Some placed a hand underneath the bread to catch the crumbs, but many ate it...like a cookie, almost. Are they suppose to take Eucharist like this, or does it just depend on the Church?
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
Re: Eucharistic Practice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
It was "blessed bread", and it is common to just see people eating it as they normally would eat bread, or many will also bring pieces home.  Sometimes a drink will be provided as well.  There is a similiar tradition in the Roman Catholic Church with blessed bread, being presented to the Priest during the Offertory and later distributed, but in many places, especially in North American (though you can see it in Quebec a lot still), it is no longer performed.  So, you didn't witness anything out of the ordinary.   :)
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
It was "blessed bread", and it is common to just see people eating it as they normally would eat bread, or many will also bring pieces home.  Sometimes a drink will be provided as well.  There is a similiar tradition in the Roman Catholic Church with blessed bread, being presented to the Priest during the Offertory and later distributed, but in many places, especially in North American (though you can see it in Quebec a lot still), it is no longer performed.  So, you didn't witness anything out of the ordinary.   :)

Btw, the blessed bread comes from the Bread left over after the priest cuts out the bread that will be used for consecration into the Eucharist.  It's called "antidoron" "Instead of the Gift (i.e. the Eucharist)" in Greek, and "qurban" "sacrifice" (the Corban of Scripture) in Arabic.

I just passed on to a soon to be single father something I learned with my own experience of switching weekends with the kids: I save them some qurban, so they don't feel so much like they missed out of DL (mom doesn't go anymore).  They would ask, first thing when I saw the Monday, "did you bring the bread," and younger one said a few years back how that is the "bestest" bread, "except for the bread the amen [priest] gives, because God puts a little piece of Jesus in that.  And it really happens."

Btw, the practice comes out of the tradition of taking communion to the sick and daily communion at home during the persecusions.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »
"except for the bread the amen [priest] gives, because God puts a little piece of Jesus in that. And it really happens."
Thank you so much for posting this. Entire volumes of discourses have been written over the centuries on how the bread and wine become the body and blood; yet this description says it all. What great wisdom from a little child whose faith is pure! Simply gorgeous! Out of the mouths of babes, indeed.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 05:01:16 PM »
"except for the bread the amen [priest] gives, because God puts a little piece of Jesus in that. And it really happens."
Thank you so much for posting this. Entire volumes of discourses have been written over the centuries on how the bread and wine become the body and blood; yet this description says it all. What great wisdom from a little child whose faith is pure! Simply gorgeous! Out of the mouths of babes, indeed.

Actually what that describes is the Lutheran & Anglican teaching known as the "Consubstantiation" or the "Impanation".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharistic_theologies_contrasted
Proverbs 22:7