OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:19:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing (or being assigned?) a father confessor.  (Read 1183 times) Average Rating: 0
nicholas1870

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Thyateira and Great Britain

« on: December 21, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »

Today, after the Liturgy, I spoke to one of the priests about being received into the Orthodox Church. He suggested continuing to come to the Liturgy and other services that I can attend, daily prayer and selecting one of the clergy with whom to seek guidance and presumably to hear my first confession (and subsequent ones, I fear! Wink ).

The thing is, I'm not sure if there's a certain etiquette for choosing a priest. I guess in that silly British polite way, I don't want to offend one of the senior priests if I choose one of the priests who I seem to get on well with. I have a lot of admiration for the senior priest there (and he has an incredible knowledge and wisdom and is a wonderful person), but I find it difficult to talk to him, even in general conversation. It's not a ethnic/language barrier, he's British like me, it's just a problem with basic conversing. One of the younger priests is Greek, but I feel as though I am more conversant with him, despite an occasional language difficulty.

I guess the issue is to pray about it? I wondered if anyone had any advice on what is quite an important decision.

Sorry, OT - I was baptised in the Anglican church and my parents confirmed that I was baptised in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. However, I am the only one of my brothers who does not have a certificate of baptism. Is it likely that I would be baptised again?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:14:03 PM by nicholas1870 » Logged
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:19:52 PM »

In general, you should choose one with whom you have some kind of rapport, someone you feel comfortable with.  It sounds like you have that with the younger Greek priest you mentioned.

For the record, priests shouldn't be offended if you choose someone else to be your father confessor - he should just be satisfied that you are seeking spiritual guidance from the Church and let that be that.  If a priest does get offended that you picked someone else, though, I think it's safe to bet that he shouldn't have been your father confessor anyway!   Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:20:56 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

Today, after the Liturgy, I spoke to one of the priests about being received into the Orthodox Church. He suggested continuing to come to the Liturgy and other services that I can attend, daily prayer and selecting one of the clergy with whom to seek guidance and presumably to hear my first confession (and subsequent ones, I fear! Wink ).

The thing is, I'm not sure if there's a certain etiquette for choosing a priest. I guess in that silly British polite way, I don't want to offend one of the senior priests if I choose one of the priests who I seem to get on well with. I have a lot of admiration for the senior priest there (and he has an incredible knowledge and wisdom and is a wonderful person), but I find it difficult to talk to him, even in general conversation. It's not a ethnic/language barrier, he's British like me, it's just a problem with basic conversing. One of the younger priests is Greek, but I feel as though I am more conversant with him, despite an occasional language difficulty.

I guess the issue is to pray about it? I wondered if anyone had any advice on what is quite an important decision.

Sorry, OT - I was baptised in the Anglican church and my parents confirmed that I was baptised in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. However, I am the only one of my brothers who does not have a certificate of baptism. Is it likely that I would be baptised again?

The priest shouldn't be offended if you go to the younger priest.  Do find out if he hears confessions: in Greek usage not every priest does.

As to the baptism, the canon specifies that at least one must have documentation or witnesses.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »

You should be able to contact the parish you were baptised in and request a baptismal certificate.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »

nicholas1870

Thanks for posting on the Convert Issues Forum!  I hope that you are getting answers that you can work from. Thanks to everyone who has rsponded with good answers.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
nicholas1870

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Thyateira and Great Britain

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 06:05:46 PM »

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in replying but away from home/work at the moment. (and this PC I'm using looks like it runs on steam power... amazed it's online!)

Orual: Thanks for your comments! There's also a hieromonk there who I hadn't spoken to before and after speaking with him recently I feel quite conversant with him too. I should be thankful that there are several options!

ialmisry: That's a good point, I haven't checked whether they all hear confession. I'll approach the priest I spoke to before.

Nebelpfade: Thanks, I've been given details of the original parish. I'll see if it's possible to confirm their records and obtain a certificate.

Thomas: Thank you, it's great to have a forum resource like this. I've spent quite some time going through the archives recently.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: