OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:11:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Orthodox Bookstores  (Read 5173 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: September 18, 2003, 03:19:18 AM »

What are your favorite Orthodox bookstores.  I like:

Eighth Day Books
www.eighthdaybooks.com
From the site:
We're "eclectic but orthodox"
Eighth Day Books is not a super chain, pitching any books that might sell.

Instead, we're selective, offering an eccentric community of books based on this organizing principle: if a book - be it literary, scientific, historical, or theological - sheds light on ultimate questions in an excellent way, then it's a worthy candidate for inclusion in our catalog.

Reality doesn't divide itself into "religious" and "literary" and "secular" spheres, so we don't either. We're convinced that all truths are related and every truth, if we pay attention rightly, directs our gaze toward God. One of our customers found us "eclectic but orthodox." We like that.

We also resonate with St. Justin Martyr in his Second Apology (paraphrased a bit): that which is true, is ours.

They have a great catalog, call and get a free copy.  1-800-841-2541.  Run by a friendly Antiochian family in Kansas.

The Unexpected Joy Orthodox Christian Book Shop
(803) 779-4512
942 Harden St,
Columbia, SC 29205

Run by Rdr. Quartus(ROCOR) this is a very interesting shop, almost a countercultural experience.  Quartus keeps the largest selection of incense in the SE USA and has lots of icons and Orthodox texts from all publishers.

I also shop Amazon.com from time to time.  Grin

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 07:36:49 AM »

I agree about Eighth Day Books.  I highly recommend it.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 11:06:58 AM »

I love Icon and Book Service in Washington DC.  But they returned to the Ukrainian Catholic Church so some might not want to support that.  If you aren't too worried about that, they carry about everything.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 07:47:51 PM »

www.stanthonysmonastery.org is my favorite, but I also really like most of the stuff published by Saint Herman's press www.sainthermanpress.com.  Hopefully I'll get a job soon again so I start buying books again!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 09:31:29 PM »

I like Light and Life Publishing.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from them and have always been pleased with the quality and the speed of delivery.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 01:18:10 PM »

Cool, 8th day has a book on Saint Photius that I've been trying to find for a couple years now (which I thought was out of print and I'd be paying much money for) Smiley

I must admit that I've always been underwhelmed by light and life. Some of their books seem to have a ton of filler space in them just so they can charge more. Maybe they need to do this and jack up the price to make it worth their while to print the books to begin with (certainly they can't plan on making their money through a large quantity being sold). Still, I've been dissappointed more than once when I got a book of theirs that claimed to be something like 90 pages, but where the information could have easily fit on 50 to 60 pages.

Right now I'd say that my favorite two book sellers would be Center For Traditionalist Orthodox Studies (who have some great patristic translations otherwise unavailable in English, including a couple by Saint Ambrose Smiley ), and Saint John of Kronstadt Press.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 07:51:50 PM »

RE: Light and Life: Agreed, and they need to get a better editor.  BTW, I love how they print "Now in 9th Printing!" or what not on the cover, but they fail to mention they basically print like 300 copies per time! HA!

RE: CTOS:  I like their stuff and in fact I was just putting together an order.  Of course I don't always agree with the sentiments expressed but I like their scholarly style and superb editing. In fact, I almost like to buy their books just because I know there won't be any typos! ;-)

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2003, 08:52:47 PM »

Well, I like Light and Life and have had good service from them.

I have noticed one thing about several of the various Orthodox publishers, however: they sure could use some new proofreaders! There are some pretty glaring typos, grammatical gaffs, and spelling bloopers in many Orthodox books and not all from one publisher. It's embarrassing.

Another thing I have found in many Orthodox books is the lack of an index. Ooh! I hate that!  Angry

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 09:20:39 PM »

LINUS7!!!

Finally, someone who has seen the glaring typos with me! The worst book I have read thus far was "The Orthodox Church" by John Meyendorff. You know the green one about the history? It had so many spelling and grammatical errors that some sections I had to skip over.

As you said, it woul dbe ice if they actually editted these books!

Bobby
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 11:14:40 AM »

For gifts, cookbooks and assorted other knicknacks I like light and life.   Regarding books, one does need to be careful what they are buying from them. I have also spotted bunches of grammar errors, bad translations and red letter typos. If I'm going to buy a book about spirtuality, church history, prayer. I tend to use the reccomendations of others.

Here are my favorites

Narrow Path in Lansing Illinois - Very Serbcentric but good selection of Ikons and childrens books http://www.narrowpathbookstore.com/
You can buy items online.

Joy of All of Sorrow- Indianapolis Indiana.  Nice over all selection of books. Good selection of Ikons, cadillos, insense, assorted gifts.

There is a new little bookstore and mission in Nashville Indiana called St. John the Barefoot. It's tiny with a good selection of ikons.

Tags: bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: