OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking and Drinking?  (Read 14863 times) Average Rating: 0
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 10:06:31 AM »

Just my humble opinion, so please don't take it too seriously...

I personally would say that smoking is a sin.  The reason is this:  no matter how much one smokes, it is harmful to the body.  Even one cigarette is harmful.  The purpose of smoking is only for pleasure.  Doing something ONLY for pleasure that HARMS the temple of the Holy Spirit would, in my opinion, be a sin.  Now, I saw an episode of House (love that show!) where he prescribed one cigarette a day to a man for some ailment (I forget what).  If it were true that cigarettes actually help (as in the case of marijuana for cancer and glaucoma), then I would say that for that purpose, it is okay out of economia.  Kind of like birth control-- it's okay when it is for the purposes of medical treatment of an ailment or hormonal imbalance. 

As far as drinking alcohol, many people enjoy it for the taste, as a beverage.  In moderation and for this purpose, I would say that alcohol is perfectly fine.  But overindulging and abuse is, of course, a sin.

Both of these are addictive.  In the case of addiction, I would say that it is definitely a sin, as we should never be addicted to something.  It is an abuse of the body, and it makes an idol out of that substance, as we are constantly seeking it, rather than God.

This is just my opinion, though, and I am certainly not a priest.  I would echo the sentiments of HandmaidenofGod and say that, as always, a spiritual father should be consulted in these matters.

Christ is Born!  Glorify Him!
Presbytera Mari

Dear Presbytera Mari,

Last night I spoke with my spiritual father and confessor about this issue, and he said practically the exact same thing you have said here. You are very wise!  Smiley

Mickey
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

I personally would say that smoking is a sin.  The reason is this:  no matter how much one smokes, it is harmful to the body.  Even one cigarette is harmful.  The purpose of smoking is only for pleasure.  Doing something ONLY for pleasure that HARMS the temple of the Holy Spirit would, in my opinion, be a sin.  Now, I saw an episode of House (love that show!) where he prescribed one cigarette a day to a man for some ailment (I forget what).  If it were true that cigarettes actually help (as in the case of marijuana for cancer and glaucoma), then I would say that for that purpose, it is okay out of economia.  Kind of like birth control-- it's okay when it is for the purposes of medical treatment of an ailment or hormonal imbalance. 

As far as drinking alcohol, many people enjoy it for the taste, as a beverage.  In moderation and for this purpose, I would say that alcohol is perfectly fine.  But overindulging and abuse is, of course, a sin.

Both of these are addictive.  In the case of addiction, I would say that it is definitely a sin, as we should never be addicted to something.  It is an abuse of the body, and it makes an idol out of that substance, as we are constantly seeking it, rather than God.

This is just my opinion, though, and I am certainly not a priest.  I would echo the sentiments of HandmaidenofGod and say that, as always, a spiritual father should be consulted in these matters.

Presbytera Mari

Dear Presbytera Mari,

Last night I spoke with my spiritual father and confessor about this issue, and he said practically the exact same thing you have said here. You are very wise!  Smiley

Mickey

Amen to you both! Very good summary. Glorify Him!

Love never fails.
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »

Presbytera Mari

Dear Presbytera Mari,

Mickey

I appreciate your kind words.  Please pray for me, as I am anything but wise. 

Presbytera Mari

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »

This topic, "Smoking and Drinking" has been moved to Other Boards Topics from the Convert Issues Board as it has ceased to be a convert issue discussion on what the Orthodox believe but rather a debate on smoking and other drugs.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 05:24:59 AM »

Honestly, I think it depends on the person.

If you thinks it's a sin, then refrain from it.  But don't condemn others that do.  Nothing more annoying or even encouraging than eating a Chicago Style pizza (ham, mushroom, bacon, pepperoni, Italian sausage, meatball, and seasoned beef), and having a nutjob break in that just by eating a slice I will find myself in the bowles of hell, after suffering a horrific heart attack that causes my internal organs to explode.  Honestly, it makes me want to eat more deliberately, letting the cheese stretch with every forkfull, and show a little "see food" to him gross him out enough to leave me alone (I never said I was a saint.  Trying to get there, but SLOWLY!  Grin)

Same goes with smoking and drinking.  I was raised in a home that taught me "Drink is urine for the last leper in hell!"  I don't drink to excess by any means, but I do enjoy the occasional Heffeweiser or tipple of Port now and again.

Now there is going overboard.  If you get drunk every few nights and have a blood achohol level of kerosine, or smoke enough cigs to make Oppenheimer wretch and you receive frequent visits from the fire department on long weekends just from what you call the norm, or even eat enough pizza in a week to make Friday night delivery routes avoid your house for fear of running out of food,  then you sir have a problem and need to seek counseling.  That is abuse, and needs to be dealt with. 

God's grace be upon everyone with a problem and may He help them to stop before it ruins them.

And keep away from my pie!  Friggin grass eaters!

Peace!   

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Jonny

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Presently in the Roman Catholic Communion

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »

Smoking cigarettes is pretty unhealthy. They add all sorts of things to those little cancer sticks. Tobacco (as in the pure stuff without all the additives) smoked in moderation is not unhealthy. And not suprisingly straight tobacco is not particularly addictive Wink Wonder why that add all that junk to it in cigs?

I am a smoker (please no abuse, I get enough off random people in the street these days, everyone hates a smoker).

Anyway, thats not the point. THe point is its absolutely true what you say about cigarettes being more addictive than tabacco. I've just moved on to roll your own stuff that doesn't have all the chemicals in it and I get unbelievable cravings for a pre-made cigarette no-matter how much I smoke! The tabacco companies really try and get you hooked on their brand and whatever they say they must put something in their cigarettes because on normal tabacco I feel as if I'm not getting my fix at all!
Tags: sin 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: