OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 01:21:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Liturgy  (Read 2205 times) Average Rating: 0
filipinopilgrim

« on: December 19, 2008, 02:08:01 AM »

Hi, all

What is the average length of the Sunday Divine Liturgy in your parish, with or without Proskimedia, Hours, Orthros, etc?

For those who have "All Night Vigils" what is the typical length of these in your parishes?
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:45:36 AM »

Hi, all

What is the average length of the Sunday Divine Liturgy in your parish, with or without Proskimedia, Hours, Orthros, etc?

For those who have "All Night Vigils" what is the typical length of these in your parishes?

Do I get a gift for filling out your survey? Smiley

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:48:06 AM »

At the monasteries, services are performed 24 x 7 with breaks for sleeping, eating and working.   Grin
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 04:20:15 AM »

Hi, all

In my parish (in Finland) the Liturgy lasts just under two hours.
The saturday vigils typically lasts a bit over two hours.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:48:32 AM »

Hi, all

DL:just under 2 hours, about 1:45. Now that I think of it, I don't know how we do it.  We don't drop things, we have the litany of the catechumens because we always have catechumens (who come up at that time for a blessing), odd for an Antiochean parish.  We don't rush through things.  Many of the "silent" prayers we say outloud, including the Canon. Everyone one comes up to the chalice, those not communing getting a blessing.  Fr. Pat always has at least a three point sermon, and says a whole slew of prayers during the Great Procession.  Hm.

Vespers is usually about an hour, a little more, including sermon and personal petitions.  Matins (which unfortunately, I rarely make) is an hour.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:08:46 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

Saturday night Vespers are about an hour. Matins on Sunday morning (without the appointed kathismata, and with only three of the nine odes sung, etc.) lasts for about an hour and a half. The Divine Liturgy lasts for about two hours (longer if there are many people communing).
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:11:46 AM »

Saturday night Vespers are about an hour. Matins on Sunday morning (without the appointed kathismata, and with only three of the nine odes sung, etc.) lasts for about an hour and a half. The Divine Liturgy lasts for about two hours (longer if there are many people communing).

This is about what I've experienced, except... when I was at school (Holy Cross).  Sunday Vespers (Saturday evening) would take about an hour and a half; Sunday Orthros between an hour and a half and two hours; liturgy about two hours.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »

For us Matins lasts about an hour and fifteen minutes, and Divine Liturgy can be anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours, depending on what's going on for that particular day.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »

average Divine Liturgy: 1h 40 minutes (includin 15-20 minutes long sermon)

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »

Vespers: 45 minutes
Liturgy: 1 hour 30 minutes (2 if you count the Hours)

Of course, these are averages and the times depend on what's going on that day.
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »

At our parish (Annunciation Cathedral in Atlanta), Orthros is about an hour and a half, and Divine Liturgy is also about an hour and a half.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

Somewhere between 1hr 10min and an hour and a half.  It often depends on how many people are there, whether or not the weather has made the priest really late (he has a long way to go) and he skips the sermon, etc.  We have a small parish and even fewer people actually show up most weeks, so it doesn't take long at all to get through communion.

We have no Vespers, Vigils or Matins except on special occasions.  I do hope that one day we can afford a full-time priest and have all the services.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:04:03 PM by OrthodoxFairyQueen » Logged

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 11:56:26 PM »

The Sunday Liturgy (Sept.-May), with the choir, organ; many in the congregation receiving Holy Communion; two priests serving Communion; and a Memorial Service at the end, is typically taking more than one hour and 45 minutes.  Our new presiding priest is also adding the 40 Day Churching of infants, if there is one, before distributing antithoron.

When I chant the responses and hymns (no choir or organ) on week days, with one priest and low attendance, the Liturgy takes one hour and 10 minutes; w/a short sermon; nothing being skipped, except there typically isn't a Memorial Service.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 02:50:19 AM »

organ
"Ptoo ptoo! Exo ap' edo!"

(For those unfamiliar with Greek, this translates literally as:
"Spit, spit! Out of here!" Which is a folk way of rebuking the devil if someone mentions him.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
filipinopilgrim

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »

The Sunday Liturgy (Sept.-May), with the choir, organ; many in the congregation receiving Holy Communion; two priests serving Communion; and a Memorial Service at the end, is typically taking more than one hour and 45 minutes.  Our new presiding priest is also adding the 40 Day Churching of infants, if there is one, before distributing antithoron.

When I chant the responses and hymns (no choir or organ) on week days, with one priest and low attendance, the Liturgy takes one hour and 10 minutes; w/a short sermon; nothing being skipped, except there typically isn't a Memorial Service.

You have regular weekday Divine Liturgies, or just on feasts? Just asking. My impression is that Greek parishes and cathedrals in the diaspora normally have DL only on Sundays and major feasts.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »

You have regular weekday Divine Liturgies, or just on feasts? Just asking. My impression is that Greek parishes and cathedrals in the diaspora normally have DL only on Sundays and major feasts.

It depends on your definition of "feasts," and "normally."  Some of the larger churches will average 2 Liturgies per week (1 Sunday, 1 non-Sunday), not including Lenten services.

The list of "feasts" includes many non-Lord/Theotokos feasts, too - Sts. Barbara, Spyridon, Nicholas, and Stephen in Dec; John, Anthony, Athanasios and Cyril, Gregory alone, and together with the 3 Hierarchs in Jan.  That's just two months - we haven't even mentioned Saint-laden October, November, April, July, and August.  Depending on the local priest, others may be added too (my dad includes St. Seraphim of Sarov, as one of our parishioners has a relic of his).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »

Reply to Reply #14

Cleveland's response is essentially the same information I would have provided regarding of my parish.  We do not conduct weekday services, routinely.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »

Liturgy at my parish is maybe an hour and a half or more on a regular old Sunday I would say, but I don't keep track of time at all.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:43:13 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: