OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 12:54:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Moses disobey God on this?  (Read 1294 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: December 18, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »

In the Beginning, God intended marriage to last forever, except in the case of unfaithfulness. Moses, however, lessened the requirements for divorce, only as a concession, because "Israel’s hearts were hard." Did Moses disobey God in allowing this for the People of Israel?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:04:37 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »

In the Beginning, God intended marriage to last forever, except in the case of unfaithfulness. Moses, however, lessened the requirements for divorce, only as a concession, because "Israel’s hearts were hard." Did Moses disobey God in allowing this for the People of Israel?

Maybe. Just like the Roman Catholic Church of present times allows easy to get marriage annulments, and I understand that the E. Orthodox Church allows up to two divorces?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 07:59:47 PM »

The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry. But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given. For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it. - Matt. 19:3-12

I wouldn't use the word "disobey," it just wasn't the best case scenario. I don't think that Jesus condemns what Moses did, or that God would. Whether the words "All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given" is applicable to divorce in general (include the Mosaic economia), or just the justifiable reasons Jesus gave for getting a divorce, I don't know. As for my own personal interpretation, I sort of think it applies to both, and Jesus was partly approving the economia applied by Moses.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

Actually, in the Beginning, God intended marriage to last forever, period.  Unfaithfulness wasn't in the plan, like the rest of sin.

No, Moses didn't disobey God in this, anymore than his establishment of the ritual sacrifices that do not do away with sin.  The law was an expedient to a greater, future good that would fulfill it.  Remember, Moses was dealing with a society of templre prostitutes and other abominations.  The idea of marriage had to be established first, before its permanence could come with Christ.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: marriage divorce 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: