OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:21:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Grandpa: "Reposed" or "Passed away"  (Read 2100 times) Average Rating: 0
new illumined

Faith: Seeking Orthodoxy (Former Jehovah's Witness)
Jurisdiction: United States

« on: December 17, 2008, 11:44:27 PM »

I noticed that it is very popular or common where I live in the US that people often refer to the death of someone as in, "passed away" or, "she has passed" or "he passed away". Yet the Orthodox I have heard speaking use the term "Repose".

I began picking up this term and using it. Recently my Grandfather died in the hospital on 11 Dec 2008 (last week). I was with him when he took his last breath. And I was there to pray for him before and after he died. As soon as he took his last breath I put my head on his chest and heard the last heartbeat.
I then said, to the others in the room, "He has reposed". They looked at me and said' "what do you mean"? I said, "he's dead".

Because my Grandfather was a Jehovah's Witness and the other 3 family members who were with me were as well, they did not pray after he died. I called my brother in law, that is Catholic and asked if he would pray for my Grandfather. He said he would pray and light a candle for him. I then went to the chapel at the hospital alone to pray there because the others would not, since he had allready died. Among the many prayers, I asked the Holy Theotokos through her intercessory prayers to help his soul. Lord may his soul rest in peace.

I have wondered about a few things here. Did I do the right thing to pray after death and to call on others that I knew would pray after his death? I was told that this helps the soul in a prejudgement? He was by all standards one who was a part of a modern day heretical group that by most standards are not Christian. However he was a decent and good person. In other words, if he was a Muslim or Buddist, would it be the same. Also why do Orthodox use the term Reposed? Where did the terms, Passed away come from?. And what is the meaning of lighting of candles? Do Orthodox light candles?

My first orthodox visit to a church is coming up this weekend and so until now this forum is the only Orthodox people contact I have. From there I will begin to seek a spiritual father to guide me but for now maybe someone can give me their viewpoints.

God bless

NI

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:30:02 AM »

May his memory be eternal!  I am only a catechumen myself, so I don't really fully understand about life after death in the Orthodox view.

What I can tell you with confidence is that prayers are never in vain.

Lord, have mercy on his grandfather!
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »

I noticed that it is very popular or common where I live in the US that people often refer to the death of someone as in, "passed away" or, "she has passed" or "he passed away". Yet the Orthodox I have heard speaking use the term "Repose".

Repose means "to lie at rest."  Of course, I also use "passed away" colloquially.   Wink

I began picking up this term and using it. Recently my Grandfather died in the hospital on 11 Dec 2008 (last week).

My sincere condolences; May He Rest in Peace.

I was with him when he took his last breath. And I was there to pray for him before and after he died. As soon as he took his last breath I put my head on his chest and heard the last heartbeat.
I then said, to the others in the room, "He has reposed". They looked at me and said' "what do you mean"? I said, "he's dead".

Because my Grandfather was a Jehovah's Witness and the other 3 family members who were with me were as well, they did not pray after he died.

Sorry for going off topic, do JW's have funeral services?

I called my brother in law, that is Catholic and asked if he would pray for my Grandfather. He said he would pray and light a candle for him. I then went to the chapel at the hospital alone to pray there because the others would not, since he had allready died. Among the many prayers, I asked the Holy Theotokos through her intercessory prayers to help his soul. Lord may his soul rest in peace.

Amen!

I have wondered about a few things here. Did I do the right thing to pray after death and to call on others that I knew would pray after his death? I was told that this helps the soul in a prejudgement? He was by all standards....

You absolutely did the right thing.   Smiley

Also why do Orthodox use the term Reposed? Where did the terms, Passed away come from?. And what is the meaning of lighting of candles? Do Orthodox light candles?

Christ called Himself the Light of the World.  Orthodox light candles to symbolize the eternal presence of that Uncreated Light of the World.  In Orthodoxy, Death signifies that the body is in rest awaiting the Final Judgment.  "Passed away" is simply a colloquialism which has nothing to do with Orthodoxy and sounds better than saying "so and so died" or "so and so is deceased."

My first orthodox visit to a church is coming up this weekend and so until now this forum is the only Orthodox people contact I have. From there I will begin to seek a spiritual father to guide me but for now maybe someone can give me their viewpoints.

Since I was never a convert, all I can suggest is observe the Divine Liturgy and make mental notes for the Priest, other parishioners or anyone else.  Please forgive me for suggesting that you travel to SLC in a past thread.   angel

If you search for my posts, I mention a disfellowshipped JW who's friends with my estranged wife.  I have zero tolerance for the preachings of JW's and I must endure this gentleman like Paul endured the thorn in his flesh.  Ironically, my wife can't stand the teachings of JW's although she believes in Christ and does not have any denominational affiliation.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:52:58 AM »

BLESSED REST AND MAY HIS MEMORY BE ETERNAL AMEN AMEN.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »

May the Lord have mercy on him.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:52 AM »

Lord, have mercy. May your grandpa's memory be eternal.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
new illumined

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:41:19 AM »

God bless you for all your wonderful comments.
Thank you. It is very touching.

Posted by SolEx01

Yes, but they call this a Memorial Service. JW's believe that when one dies there is nothing left. They believe in annihilation. Similar to when a plant or animal or organism dies. No soul or nothing. This is why they do not pray after one dies. At the funeral, (memorial service), they remember the person only and never pray for them. They quote scriptures about the Resurrection and try to make the person look good like they served the Organization well, blah, blah. I am not going to that. I think I paid my respects to him the night he died. I tried to tell them that you can't have a resurrection without a soul, you can only have a re-creation and the Bible does not teach a re-creation.

After the funeral everyone leaves and goes over to a house and eats a large meal.

I sure feel at home here.
Thanks everyone

NI
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »

Posted by SolEx01

Yes, but they call this a Memorial Service. JW's believe that when one dies there is nothing left. They believe in annihilation. Similar to when a plant or animal or organism dies. No soul or nothing. This is why they do not pray after one dies. At the funeral, (memorial service), they remember the person only and never pray for them. They quote scriptures about the Resurrection and try to make the person look good like they served the Organization well, blah, blah....

After the funeral everyone leaves and goes over to a house and eats a large meal.

Do JW's cremate their dead since they believe in annihilation?
new illumined

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »

Do JW's cremate their dead since they believe in annihilation?

Yes. It is a personal choice on this matter but almost always there is a cremation. 
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:55:35 PM »

Lord have mercy. Memory eternal.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:34:41 PM »

Memory Eternal.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »

Yes, but they call this a Memorial Service. JW's believe that when one dies there is nothing left. They believe in annihilation. Similar to when a plant or animal or organism dies. No soul or nothing. This is why they do not pray after one dies. At the funeral, (memorial service), they remember the person only and never pray for them. They quote scriptures about the Resurrection and try to make the person look good like they served the Organization well, blah, blah. I am not going to that.

This makes me sad.  Cry

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
new illumined

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 02:28:28 AM »

That is only the tip of the iceberg. Now you know why I want to stay away from them. Everything about them is sad.

But the good news is this Sunday I am going to an Orthodox church for the first time. I am excited. Grin
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »

But the good news is this Sunday I am going to an Orthodox church for the first time. I am excited. Grin

That IS good news!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 07:09:08 AM »

Memory Eternal.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 07:23:28 PM »

I have wondered about a few things here. Did I do the right thing to pray after death and to call on others that I knew would pray after his death? I was told that this helps the soul in a prejudgement? He was by all standards one who was a part of a modern day heretical group that by most standards are not Christian. However he was a decent and good person. In other words, if he was a Muslim or Buddist, would it be the same. Also why do Orthodox use the term Reposed? Where did the terms, Passed away come from?. And what is the meaning of lighting of candles? Do Orthodox light candles?
May your grandfather's memory be eternal!

You will find that many Orthodox churches still follow the traditional precept that liturgical prayers (the prayers of the worshiping community) can only be offered for the Orthodox communicants and catechumens who have died, but that doesn't apply to your situation.  The Church encourages us faithful to offer private prayers for ALL of our relatives and friends who have died, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:23:59 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: