OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:17:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attempts by Turkish Authorities to Confiscate 1600 year old St.Gabriel Monastery  (Read 1779 times) Average Rating: 0
Leb Aryo

Faith: Syriac Orthodox

Bar Ebroyo

« on: December 17, 2008, 12:56:03 AM »

I wanted to bring to the attention of fellow Orthodox Christians here to the dire situation of St. Gabriel Monastery in South East Turkey.  Please refer to: http://www.aina.org/releases/20080916151651.htm

This post has already been submitted in the Oriental Orthodox Forum but in order to get the word out I've reposted it here.  The original is http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,18801.0.html

(Paragraph edited out to prevent double posting, as per forum rules.

Salpy)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:52:08 AM by Salpy » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:08:35 AM »

So does this monastery belong to the Assyrian Church of the East, to the Oriental Orthodox, or to the Eastern Orthodox?  The article did not clarify that point.
Leb Aryo

Bar Ebroyo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:44:50 AM »

This particular monastery belongs to the Syriac Orthodox Church which is an Oriental Orthodox church akin to the Coptic, Armenian and Ethiopian Orthodox Churches. 

The Assyrian Church of the East and Chaldean Catholic Churches are fellow Syriac church to the Syriac Orthodox Church and use the same language (Syriac Aramaic) in its liturgy as the Syriac Orthodox Church.

"Mor Gabriel" monastery was established in 397 before the surrounding villages even existed which are now using dubious legal measures and threats of violence to try to take over the monastery.  Their intentions are made plain though in one of the points of their suit: The church is a historic museum and should be not misused for praying!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:06:32 AM by Leb Aryo » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:48:23 AM »

I'm moving this topic from the Orthodox-Other Christian Discussion Forum to the News forum, which is the more appropriate place for it.

Salpy

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:32:25 AM »

The Court case has been scheduled for Christmas Eve. Seems a bit disrespectful of the Turkish authorities.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Leb Aryo

Bar Ebroyo

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:47:49 AM »

It's not odd, it was done on purpose.  After protests from the Syriac diaspora in Europe, the court changed the date.  The second court case was also set for Dec 31.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »

The Court case has been scheduled for Christmas Eve. Seems a bit disrespectful of the Turkish authorities.

The Turks disrespecting Orthodoxy? Oh, what is the world coming to? Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:24:31 PM »

Yes, it seems disrespectful that they've scheduled it around Dec. 24, but do the Syriac Orthodox observe Christmas on the "Old Calendar"?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:24:53 PM by Eugenio » Logged
Leb Aryo

Bar Ebroyo

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »

Yes, it seems disrespectful that they've scheduled it around Dec. 24, but do the Syriac Orthodox observe Christmas on the "Old Calendar"?

It was changed approximately 50years ago from the Orthodox date in Jan to the Dec 25th date.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

Muslims threaten legal action against 1600 year old monastery

http://compassdirect.org/en/display.php?page=breaking&lang=en&length=long&idelement=5774

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »

The above post was originally posted as a seperate topic, but was merged with this already existing thread on the same subject.

Salpy

Tags: Syriac Orthodox Monastery persecution Turkish Republic Turabdin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: