Author Topic: Attempts by Turkish Authorities to Confiscate 1600 year old St.Gabriel Monastery  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Leb Aryo

• Bar Ebroyo
I wanted to bring to the attention of fellow Orthodox Christians here to the dire situation of St. Gabriel Monastery in South East Turkey.  Please refer to: http://www.aina.org/releases/20080916151651.htm

This post has already been submitted in the Oriental Orthodox Forum but in order to get the word out I've reposted it here.  The original is http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,18801.0.html

(Paragraph edited out to prevent double posting, as per forum rules.

Salpy)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:52:08 AM by Salpy »

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
So does this monastery belong to the Assyrian Church of the East, to the Oriental Orthodox, or to the Eastern Orthodox?  The article did not clarify that point.

Offline Leb Aryo

• Bar Ebroyo
This particular monastery belongs to the Syriac Orthodox Church which is an Oriental Orthodox church akin to the Coptic, Armenian and Ethiopian Orthodox Churches. 

The Assyrian Church of the East and Chaldean Catholic Churches are fellow Syriac church to the Syriac Orthodox Church and use the same language (Syriac Aramaic) in its liturgy as the Syriac Orthodox Church.

"Mor Gabriel" monastery was established in 397 before the surrounding villages even existed which are now using dubious legal measures and threats of violence to try to take over the monastery.  Their intentions are made plain though in one of the points of their suit: The church is a historic museum and should be not misused for praying!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:06:32 AM by Leb Aryo »

Online Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
I'm moving this topic from the Orthodox-Other Christian Discussion Forum to the News forum, which is the more appropriate place for it.

Salpy

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
The Court case has been scheduled for Christmas Eve. Seems a bit disrespectful of the Turkish authorities.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Leb Aryo

• Bar Ebroyo
It's not odd, it was done on purpose.  After protests from the Syriac diaspora in Europe, the court changed the date.  The second court case was also set for Dec 31.

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
The Court case has been scheduled for Christmas Eve. Seems a bit disrespectful of the Turkish authorities.

The Turks disrespecting Orthodoxy? Oh, what is the world coming to? ;)
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline Eugenio

• Elder
Yes, it seems disrespectful that they've scheduled it around Dec. 24, but do the Syriac Orthodox observe Christmas on the "Old Calendar"?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:24:53 PM by Eugenio »

Offline Leb Aryo

• Bar Ebroyo
Yes, it seems disrespectful that they've scheduled it around Dec. 24, but do the Syriac Orthodox observe Christmas on the "Old Calendar"?

It was changed approximately 50years ago from the Orthodox date in Jan to the Dec 25th date.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Online Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
The above post was originally posted as a seperate topic, but was merged with this already existing thread on the same subject.

Salpy