OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 12:59:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldest Spider Web Found!  (Read 2442 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:04 AM »

Oxford University paleobiologist Martin Brasier said the 140-million-year-old webbing provides evidence that arachnids had been ensnaring their prey in silky nets since the dinosaur age. He also said the strands were linked to each other in the roughly circular pattern familiar to gardeners the world over.
"You can match the details of the spider's web with the spider's web in my garden," Brasier said.

http://news.aol.com/article/oldest-spider-web-found-scientist-says/278074

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

I don't know why, exactly, but I find this interesting  Smiley
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »

^I don't know why, but I do too. Pretty cool.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »

^I don't know why, but I do too. Pretty cool.

Agreed - very cool stuff.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »

I saw this article yesterday as well... interesting but it creeps me out, too.  *Shiver*

It's really strange, too, how amber can preserve something so delicate as a spider web.  I would have thought that flowing tree sap would obliterate the threads.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »

No, no, E...that shouldn't creep you out.....THIS should creep you out!!! laugh Have a nice day! angel

The giant spider webs of Texas:

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »

Ugh... actually, those might be worms.  My parents' farm suffers from the occasional outbreak of worms spinning webs in their orchard.  What fruit was on the trees is usually too infested to eat and the leaves oftentimes don't survive being wrapped in webs and eaten.  And it's horrible when you walk into the webs when you're not watching where you're going.  Yick.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:06:08 AM »

The giant spider webs of Texas:

Yeow. I thought that was bird netting ....  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:06:23 AM by LBK » Logged
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 01:06:28 AM »

It's really strange, too, how amber can preserve something so delicate as a spider web.  I would have thought that flowing tree sap would obliterate the threads.

It's pretty viscous stuff, and quite slow moving. It creeps up on its prey and takes insects and even spiderwebs unaware. Wink

By the way, don't try to climb a pine tree unless you want to spend an hour scrubbing off sap off your hands with turpentine. Tongue

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »

And it's horrible when you walk into the webs when you're not watching where you're going.  Yick.

Especially....WHEN IT'S ALL AROUND YOU! BWAHAHAHAHA! Cheesy

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »

If I had mad Photoshop skills, I'd strategically place Shelob right behind those two dudes.   Wink

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:13:23 PM »

That would be awesome. Cheesy

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 07:43:58 PM »

By the way, don't try to climb a pine tree unless you want to spend an hour scrubbing off sap off your hands with turpentine. Tongue
You get that just by loading pine wood into a storage space for later use as firewood. Tongue  Of course, I know the sap as pitch.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:44:16 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: