Author Topic: Idioms in literature  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Idioms in literature
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »
Sometimes when I read literature, there are idioms which I do not understand, or references, etc.  I figured we could start a thread where we could discuss such confusing passages and offer each other help understanding them.

My first question is, what does it mean to say that someone has sparrow hands? Does that mean their hands are claw-like? If so, why sparrow and not say crow?
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re: Idioms in literature
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:29:48 AM »
Small and dainty or delicate, I would imagine. Crows feet don't work in that sense.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 12:10:13 AM »
Very useful thread. As a resident English teacher, I offer my services.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:32:54 AM »
Small and dainty or delicate, I would imagine. Crows feet don't work in that sense.
Have a look at a sparrow's claws- they're far from dainty or delicate!
It seems to resemble clubbing of the fingers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:33:55 AM by ozgeorge »
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:30:28 AM »
Have a look at a sparrow's claws- they're far from dainty or delicate!
It seems to resemble clubbing of the fingers.

Must be a Aussie type...certainly looks nothing like what I'm seeing out my windows right now. But apparently you have no idea either about the answer to Fr. Anastasios' question.

However, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn certainly used it. You decide for yourself his intent:
http://www.sad34.net/~globalclassroom/Library/Russiathreeprosepoems
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:38:50 AM by Αριστοκλής »
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
Sometimes when I read literature, there are idioms which I do not understand, or references, etc.  I figured we could start a thread where we could discuss such confusing passages and offer each other help understanding them.

My first question is, what does it mean to say that someone has sparrow hands? Does that mean their hands are claw-like? If so, why sparrow and not say crow?

Do you happen to have a passage containing the phrase?  I'm wondering what the context is.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »

Do you happen to have a passage containing the phrase?  I'm wondering what the context is.

In the link above is "The Duckling" in which A. Solzhenitsyn writes,
"What keeps it alive? It weighs nothing; its little black eyes are like beads, its feet are like sparrows' feet, the slightest squeeze and it would be no more. Yet it is warm with life. Its little beak is pale pink and slightly splayed, like a manicured fingernail.  Its feet are already webbed, there is yellow among its feathers, and its downy wings are starting to protrude. Its personality already sets it apart from its foster brothers."

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
Oh, ok, sorry.  I'm on a work computer and it doesn't open the link.  I'll try it at home, but thanks for the excerpt.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams