OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:17:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Sin is the Fear of the Other  (Read 1031 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: December 16, 2008, 06:19:02 AM »

“The great sin is fear of the other. In a state of fear, everyone seems to be a threat. There are many symptoms of fear among Christians. The real meaning of the English word ‘gospel’ is good news, but one can find those who are more attracted to the Bad News Gospel. You can find religious circles more interested in the anti-Christ than in Christ, more interested in the number 666 than the Holy Trinity. This is a fear-driven, bad news orientation. Where such a mentality thrives, the Christian contribution to society is meager. Where faith, hope and love flourish, transformation occurs. Faith changes life. If life doesn’t change, clearly there is no faith. St. John Chrysostom, preaching to perhaps 400 people in Antioch, told them, ‘If all of you were Christians, there would be no more pagans in the world.’ If you want to understand how Christianity spread so rapidly in the early centuries, it was because Christians were Christian.

“Sadly, in our time, we have lost the idea of the holy. Pagans at least understood the holy. They had a sense of the sacred. We have lost this capacity. This is our tragedy because more than ever the world needs the light of Christ, the genuine light.”

http://incommunion.org/?p=177

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »

^ Three words not mentioned directly in the article you quoted....

God is Love.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »

Wow. Pretty powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »

It's interesting that you bring this up; I was just recently thinking about the theory our OT professor brought up in class once, postulating that fear was the underlying motivator behind Eve's disobedience - God had planted a seed of uncertainty in her mind when He asked them to guard the garden, and the serpent played on that by offering them omniscience and omnipotence through the Apple.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »

Very interesting article, Myrrh23, thanks! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »

You're all welcome! Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »

It's interesting that you bring this up; I was just recently thinking about the theory our OT professor brought up in class once, postulating that fear was the underlying motivator behind Eve's disobedience - God had planted a seed of uncertainty in her mind when He asked them to guard the garden, and the serpent played on that by offering them omniscience and omnipotence through the Apple.

it's a little more detailed than that...i'll PM you about it. 

The fear was only part of it.  Another part was insecurity, not understanding, pride, greed (wanting more), etc. Pride was a considerable factor that perhaps came OUT OF the fear, even though fear may have been a primary instigator in the theory you are talking about.   Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »

Thank you, I really enjoyed this article.  I particularly liked this quote:

A problem we face is the cult of individualism. The Church doesn’t exist to make individuals but persons. An individual is someone in a state of separation, someone out of communion. A person is unique but at the same time exists in relationship with others. You cannot divide him from the whole. A person is a being who can never be repeated yet whose being includes others – without the other, the person does not exist. Without communion there is no being.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

The fear was only part of it.  Another part was insecurity, not understanding, pride, greed (wanting more), etc. Pride was a considerable factor that perhaps came OUT OF the fear, even though fear may have been a primary instigator in the theory you are talking about.   Wink Grin

I didn't want to bore people with the details.  Needless to say, it's a theory of Pentiuc's that isn't supported by much Patristic consensus, but is plausible on it's face.  In our class in particular, he was focusing more on Fear > Insecurity > Desire to minimize the unknown > Knowledge minimizes the unknown > Desire for God's knowledge, so there is no unknown.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »

The fear was only part of it.  Another part was insecurity, not understanding, pride, greed (wanting more), etc. Pride was a considerable factor that perhaps came OUT OF the fear, even though fear may have been a primary instigator in the theory you are talking about.   Wink Grin

I didn't want to bore people with the details.  Needless to say, it's a theory of Pentiuc's that isn't supported by much Patristic consensus, but is plausible on it's face.  In our class in particular, he was focusing more on Fear > Insecurity > Desire to minimize the unknown > Knowledge minimizes the unknown > Desire for God's knowledge, so there is no unknown.

Sounds about right.  It's gona take me a while to get back to this, cuz I gota pull from different sources, but i'll try to come up with a synthesis for you...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: fear love 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: