OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:40:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Versus Populum Syrian Tradition  (Read 978 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« on: September 16, 2003, 06:40:40 PM »

Lately, I have been hearing allegations that the Qud'das celebrated facing the people is the authentic Syrian-Edessan tradition, and that Orthodox and Catholics who follow the various Syrian Rites practice such.

Mor, could you shed some light please?

In IC XC
Samer
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 07:12:36 PM »

Dear Samer,

I don't know, I've never heard this before.  Where are you hearing this?  

In any event, I know of no Orthodox Churches using the Syriac tradition which celebrate the Divine Liturgy facing the people.  I do know for a fact that such is sometimes done in Catholic Churches of the Syriac tradition; I've seen this once in person.

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 11:25:08 PM »

I know the Maronites have started implementing the practice, and in my last visit to Syria, I witnessed the same in a Syrian Catholic church.  I thought and still think this to be nothing more than an imitation of Western currents.  

However, I've read from message boards (and I believe from a Maronite poster at one time) claims to the effect of what I had said.  Some claimed to have read this, though I didn't inquire where they learned of this information.  The Maronite in question alleged that ad orientam was a latinisation.  No sale.  But claims that the practice exists in Orthodox Churches of Syriac tradition had me scratching my head.  Someone mentioned he hasn't in his experience seen one Oriental Orthodox or Catholic parish of Syrian tradition that did not adopt the orientation facing the people.

I know that there is now a serious disputes in the Malabar (Catholic) Church over the correct posture.

In IC XC
Samer
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 11:47:26 PM »

Someone mentioned he hasn't in his experience seen one Oriental Orthodox or Catholic parish of Syrian tradition that did not adopt the orientation facing the people.

Wow.  He should get out more.  Or maybe I should.  Tongue  

I've never seen an Oriental Orthodox Church of Syrian tradition celebrate the Liturgy facing the people.  I've never even heard of it.  I'd love to know where this is going on currently in the Orthodox world.  

As for the Malabar Catholics, they are a different discussion altogether.  Interesting, but different.

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Tags: Syriac Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: