OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My husband's back  (Read 2219 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: December 13, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »

My husband is in training currently for his deployment to Afghanistan late next month. They have been practicing reflexive firing techniques in full battle rattle. (There is 40lbs of body armor plus whatever other stuff he has to carry like ammo ect.). The technique is done in a sort of a hunched over stance. This time last year he was just starting to recover from a herniated lumbar disc. (He was injured 10-07) After a couple days of riding in cattle cars over pot hole filled gravel roads and firing hunched over in the cold he started having some back/leg pain Thursday morning. Then Thursday night he couldn't sleep because he was in so much pain. He went to sick call Friday and was sent to the Army hospital at Madigan for tests. They have done the x-rays and next week he has an MRI on Wed, then the "diagnosis" on Friday. He is in a great deal of pain and really upset/depressed. They have him on "profile" but it isn't good enough in my estimation. He still has to bend over and scrub toilets and clean the barracks. And being the hard worker his is, my husband is doing what they tell him to do. The last time he herniated his disc he rehabbed himself pretty quickly, but it was really painful.(he was back to army standards and passing his PT tests within 5 months) He hasn't even been recovered from his disc injury for 10 months yet! And this time we don't know if this was just muscle strain, re-herniation of the disc or the effects of the nerve damage from the last herniation. He is on a pretty high dosage of painkillers that are just taking the edge off at the moment. If he is re-injured they will have to rehab him again. Then there is a good possibility that he will be in the rear detachment and commute from home to work. It would be wonderful to have him home, but I don't want him in pain either. My husband is concerned about being able to provide for us financially if he has to go on disability. And I can't go back into the workforce until November of next year because of the pregnancy. (We are due in July, and I need a couple months to establish feeding routines).

The army is not always known for making the proper diagnosis. They often send sick people off as "well people." I would appreciate it if you could pray that the doctors will make the proper diagnosis. This is a lose/lose and win/win situation. If is he OK he will be deployed as scheduled, good-he is OK, bad-we will miss him. If he is re-injured he will have to go thru months of rehab at home, good-we see him, bad-he is in a great deal of pain. I don't even know what to think of all this.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:15:16 PM by Quinault » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »

I have a bad back myself, so I can definitely sympathise! He's been added to our list for prayers...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »

Lord have mercy on Your servant.

(Initially, I thought you meant "my husband is back"! I pray that comes to pass soon as well!)

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:30:26 PM »

Lord have mercy on Quinault's Husband and heal your servant of his unrelenting back pain.  May the Holy Spirit guide the doctors responsible for his medical care and upkeep.

Amen!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »

My husband is in training currently for his deployment to Afghanistan late next month. They have been practicing reflexive firing techniques in full battle rattle. (There is 40lbs of body armor plus whatever other stuff he has to carry like ammo ect.). The technique is done in a sort of a hunched over stance. This time last year he was just starting to recover from a herniated lumbar disc. (He was injured 10-07) After a couple days of riding in cattle cars over pot hole filled gravel roads and firing hunched over in the cold he started having some back/leg pain Thursday morning. Then Thursday night he couldn't sleep because he was in so much pain. He went to sick call Friday and was sent to the Army hospital at Madigan for tests. They have done the x-rays and next week he has an MRI on Wed, then the "diagnosis" on Friday. He is in a great deal of pain and really upset/depressed. They have him on "profile" but it isn't good enough in my estimation. He still has to bend over and scrub toilets and clean the barracks. And being the hard worker his is, my husband is doing what they tell him to do. The last time he herniated his disc he rehabbed himself pretty quickly, but it was really painful.(he was back to army standards and passing his PT tests within 5 months) He hasn't even been recovered from his disc injury for 10 months yet! And this time we don't know if this was just muscle strain, re-herniation of the disc or the effects of the nerve damage from the last herniation. He is on a pretty high dosage of painkillers that are just taking the edge off at the moment. If he is re-injured they will have to rehab him again. Then there is a good possibility that he will be in the rear detachment and commute from home to work. It would be wonderful to have him home, but I don't want him in pain either. My husband is concerned about being able to provide for us financially if he has to go on disability. And I can't go back into the workforce until November of next year because of the pregnancy. (We are due in July, and I need a couple months to establish feeding routines).

The army is not always known for making the proper diagnosis. They often send sick people off as "well people." I would appreciate it if you could pray that the doctors will make the proper diagnosis. This is a lose/lose and win/win situation. If is he OK he will be deployed as scheduled, good-he is OK, bad-we will miss him. If he is re-injured he will have to go thru months of rehab at home, good-we see him, bad-he is in a great deal of pain. I don't even know what to think of all this.

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:54:54 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 12:20:12 AM »

Lord, have mercy on Quinault's husband and on all who serve in the armed forces!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 02:21:08 AM »

Lord have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 03:08:58 AM »

Lord have mercy!

sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 04:56:19 AM »

Ginoo Malu-oy ka!

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »

Lord have mercy on Your servants Quinault and her husband, and all their family.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »

Quinault, I was just thinking of you and your family quite a bit lately and wondering how everyone is doing! I want you to know you all are in my thoughts and prayers!!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

Lord have mercy on our Quinault/Nez Perce brother and sister and their family!

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 12:46:27 AM »

O Christ, Who alone art our Defender: Visit and heal Thy suffering servant, delivering him from sickness and grievous pains. Raise him up that he may sing to Thee and praise Thee without ceasing, through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Thou Who alone lovest mankind.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »

He arrived for his diagnosis today only to find that the offices were closed for the day. I pick him up Monday and then will have to take him back down next Tuesday for the new appointment.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 08:15:07 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 02:42:51 AM »

The results are in and the x-rays and MRI are "clean." But he is still having sciatic pain. He was born with something similar to club feet (but not club foot) and had to wear orthodic shoes as a baby/toddler. Now we are wondering if he has piriformis from the foot condition as a baby, or even from the car accident last year. Piriformis is quite treatable, so there is no way he will be left in the rear detachment to stay home for the deployment. He is still in a great deal of pain, but he has hope that will subside.

Honestly, I am taking this VERY badly. To have the hope that my husband will be home for a year, and then have it taken away is pretty shattering for me. (And I am sure the raging pregnancy hormones aren't helping). I am glad that he should be OK, but I am absolutely crushed that he has to leave tomorrow for a year.

Thank you for the prayers for his leg/back problems.

If you could pray that I can keep it together for everyone until tomorrow night when I have the kids asleep after he is gone that would be nice. Then I can fall to pieces quietly without freaking out my kids.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:45:23 AM by Quinault » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 03:00:18 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 03:03:55 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »

Lots of love and support to you and your children, Quin! Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Andrea

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 01:01:18 PM »

You and your husband and family will be in my prayers.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »

The case manager wouldn't get back to him after repeated attempts over the course of a week and they leave the country in less than 2 weeks so he went on sick call again. Turns out he has two herniated lumbar discs. The MRI person didn't have him in the right position during the MRI to see the damage.  The herniation isn't enough to warrant surgery so he has to go with everyone else. He is going to a base which has neurologists, orthopedists and physical therapy available for him so he will receive treatment in about a month or so. Until then he just has to deal with it. Last year he only had one disc herniation, two cheers for the army making the number even Roll Eyes  Angry One would think doubling the number of herniated discs in about a year would be cause for concern, apparently it isn't. I am really wondering what the long plane rides will do to him. Sitting is nearly the worst thing you can do with this type of herniation.

He has put in a request to go to our first ultrasound on the 15th which we are sure they will deny. But it would be wonderful if they would let him have the day off (He is living on base, so they would have to release him for the day trusting he will come back).

Since it is an MI unit there is no departure ceremony. They don't release when these units go anywhere. So unless I can sneak down for a quick visit I wont see him until his scheduled leave  in late July around our due date.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:22:32 PM by Quinault » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:32 PM »

Lord have mercy!

I wish I could just give you a big hug and a shoulder to cry on, as you sound like you really need it right now.

I will pray for you and your family.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: