OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:04:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding Greek and Latin  (Read 1189 times) Average Rating: 0
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« on: December 13, 2008, 05:50:11 PM »

I have often heard it claimed from many Orthodox that such and such Western Father and/or theologian misrepresented such and such Eastern Father and/or theologian because said Western Father and/or theologian didn't understand Greek.

Do you think that all (or many or most) Western Fathers and theologians didn't/don't understand Greek or that in order to properly understand Orthodox theology one must be fluent in Greek?

If so, would you likewise think that all (or many or most) Eastern Fathers and theologians didn't/don't understand Latin or that in order to properly understand Catholic theology one must be fluent in Latin?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 09:29:15 PM »

I have often heard it claimed from many Orthodox that such and such Western Father and/or theologian misrepresented such and such Eastern Father and/or theologian because said Western Father and/or theologian didn't understand Greek.

I recall Augustine stating explicitly that he didn't understand Greek well, if at all.  Quite a problem, when at the time most of Patristics were in Greek (or Syriac, which Augustinte didn't know either).

Do you think that all (or many or most) Western Fathers and theologians didn't/don't understand Greek or that in order to properly understand Orthodox theology one must be fluent in Greek?

Some demonstrate a knowledge of Greek.  But many were dependent on Latin translation.  As having to know Greek, St. Anthony knew Orthodoxy well enough, and he didn't know a word of Greek. Ditto I believe St. Ephraim.

If so, would you likewise think that all (or many or most) Eastern Fathers and theologians didn't/don't understand Latin or that in order to properly understand Catholic theology one must be fluent in Latin?

On another forum  police Roll Eyes police we had a discussion on a silly article on the canon regarding jurisdiction at Nicea I. It revolved around the Greek, the ultramontanist critiquing the ancient Latin translation. So no, you don't need to know Latin.

Latin Romanian does quite well for Orthodox theology, e.g. distinguishing it from the filioque quite well.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:45:40 AM »

I don't think it's necessary to understand Greek to understand Orthodox theology, though I'm sure it helps to some extent. To what extext I don't know, since I don't know Greek Wink

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:51:55 AM »

I think we should be careful that we don't think that real theology is a scholastic activity. This tends to lead to pridefulness in worldly knowledge doesn't it?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »

I don't think it's necessary to understand Greek to understand Orthodox theology, though I'm sure it helps to some extent. To what extext I don't know, since I don't know Greek Wink

Maybe not today, but during the early years of the Church, it was essential.  Though there were I'm sure some doctrinal issues that would have arisen despite the use of a common and understood tongue, many of the differences that arose were caused by the lack of knowledge of Greek.

However, I am not excusing later heresies that arose not from misinterpretation or misunderstanding of Greek, but from the will of the Pope or other individual bishops.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »

Maybe not today, but during the early years of the Church, it was essential.  Though there were I'm sure some doctrinal issues that would have arisen despite the use of a common and understood tongue, many of the differences that arose were caused by the lack of knowledge of Greek.

But, was it because those non-Greek speaking members misunderstood what the Greek was saying -- or because the Greek speaking members didn't recognize the new languages and nuances within them?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »

What I've been told is that the key is understanding "Greek thought" and not just understanding the linguistics of the language. Since I don't understand either really, I'm not sure what that means...LOL!

But it kind of makes sense when/if you've ever been around 2 people who both know the grammer, and yet the one who actually grasps "greek thought" seems to have a more Orthodox understanding of a particular text, while the one who merely comprehends the grammer might have an Orthodox interpretation, or a Catholic one, or even a Jesus Seminar interpretation of a text.

Don't know if that makes sense, but that's what I've been told, and have observed in the past.

And certainly you don't have to know Greek, hence maybe there is something to the idea of "Greek Patristic thought" which over the centuries became "Orthodox thought".
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »

But it kind of makes sense when/if you've ever been around 2 people who both know the grammer, and yet the one who actually grasps "greek thought" seems to have a more Orthodox understanding of a particular text, while the one who merely comprehends the grammer might have an Orthodox interpretation, or a Catholic one, or even a Jesus Seminar interpretation of a text.

That seems to stink of an almost British imperialist attitude ("I thought British policy was to make the world England"). Christ commanded to preach the Gospel to all nations, but I don't get the sense that He meant -- make the world Greeks.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »

That seems to stink of an almost British imperialist attitude ("I thought British policy was to make the world England"). Christ commanded to preach the Gospel to all nations, but I don't get the sense that He meant -- make the world Greeks.

...or Latins.

The Fathers explicitly saw something in providence in the development and spread of Hellnistic (not Greek, btw, which is a different matter) culture: the spread of Koine, the translation of the LXX, the spread of the polis model within a pagan Roman empire already hellenized, etc.  Christianity could have been developed and spread in Latin.  It wasn't.  It could have been spread by Aramaic, and in part it was, but via Greek (the Peshitta is a translation of the LXX and the Greek NT).  It many ways, Hellenistic (again, not Greek) culture as become as much a part of the Church as the Hebrew culture.

Christianity remains an Eastern religion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: