OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 05:32:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Believers  (Read 1469 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: September 16, 2003, 01:14:22 AM »

Hello all...

Lately for some odd reason or another the topic of the Russian Old Believers has interested me.  Are there any good links to a history of them, especially the priestly groups....I found an interesting ariticle from the Catholic Encyclopedia http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12648b.htm...I know they sometimes off rather off the mark when it comes to things Eastern, but otherwise really like the Catholic Encyclopedia.

Many thanks,

Nektarios
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 02:39:06 PM »

Christ is in our midst!  He is and will be!

The National Film Board of Canada has produced a video on Old Believers in Canada.  It is apropriately called "The Old Believers."  You can find a link to the NFB at http://cmm.onf.ca/E/titleinfo/index.epl?id=18032&expr=${old}+AND+${believers}&sid=890b5db7513b731ce132f3226aca786d&coll=onf&type=tout
Not too sure where you would have acces to this in the States.  Try a local public library?

As well, if you read Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, you will gain some insight (I believe) to the Old Believers.  Raskolnikov (the protagonist) gets his name from "Raskolnik," which is a Russian term for "schismatic."  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck on your quest for knowledge!

David Smiley
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 10:01:42 AM »

If you want information about the Old Believers, I would suggest that you visit the website of the Old Rite Russian Orthodox Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA.  Their website is www.churchofthenativity.net. It is an excellent website.  This parish was a former Old Believer group that joined the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad and now has priests and is allowed to serve the Liturgy according to Old Believer usage.  Several families in my OCA parish were raised in this parish in Erie, and they are a wealth of information on the Old Believers.  In fact, the parents of these people live in Erie and are members of the Church of the Nativity and they regularly visit their children in my OCA parish (wearing their traditional Old Believer clothing) and are always warmly received.  I've learned so much from them, as they are always eager to tell people about the history and customs of the Old Believers.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 10:30:58 AM »

What's interesting is if you look at the pictures of the 'old church' before they came under ROCOR and reistated their priesthoob, you will see that the Icnostasis including the 'Royal Doors' is right up against the wall!  There is no Sancturary!

I haven't read the history as of yet but I understand that a Sanctuary with Altar was installed after the union with ROCOR.  Beautiful church!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Tags: Old Believers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: