OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 10:04:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Isabel  (Read 3087 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« on: September 16, 2003, 12:16:18 AM »

Like a lot of people, I imagine, I am trying to keep updated on the progress of Hurricane Isabel.  The most recent update I've seen has the projected path of the hurricane missing much of New York, but going through North Carolina, Virginia, and other such places.  So let's pray for the course of the hurricane and for all those who will be directly affected by it, including several dear members of this forum and their families, that God will preserve and protect them all during this storm through the intercessions of the Mother of God and all the saints.

Power from on high overshadows those who run for refuge with faith and reverence to Thy precious protection: for to Thee alone, O all holy and all pure only Mother of God, is it given that every petition of Thine be fulfilled. Therefore the faithful of all ages glorify Thee and Thy Son, crying: Alleluia.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 12:23:21 AM »

PLEASE PRAY!!!

Eye of the storm is headed right for Raleigh. If it is anything like Fran that hit a few years ago, a lot of people are going to be homeless and there's going to be a LOT of damage.

I might be traveling elsewhere.

Bobby
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 10:45:24 AM »

Bobby,

If you don't have anywhere else to go, feel free to come visit me in Greenville for a few days.   The offer's open to anyone on OC.net who doesn't have anywhere to go.  All I have is a fold out couch to offer but all are welcome to it. Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 11:13:33 AM »

I keep telling Bobby "LEAVE!"  He wont listen...

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 12:05:09 PM »

The calm before the storm on the DelMarVa penninsula.

http://www.mcmahonfin.com/big.htm

Bethany Beach, Delaware

Actually according to the new projected path -- it looks like it may go further west of DC than earlier predicted.

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/hur_dir/hur_pos_nt3.html

Also, poor David Blaine! Yankee Go Home!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97439,00.html

« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 12:08:34 PM by TomS » Logged
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 09:25:06 PM »

Hey. No nead to fear now --

"Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson prayed on his Christian Broadcasting Network, based in Virginia Beach, that Isabel would turn from the coast. He asked God to put a "wall of protection" around Virginia Beach and the East Coast.

"In the name of Jesus, we reach out our hand in faith and we command that storm to cease its forward motion to the north and to turn and to go out into the sea," Robertson prayed on "The 700 Club."

---

« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 09:25:35 PM by TomS » Logged
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 10:29:59 PM »

Nah, I think I'll set this one out.

I'm not that close to the shore, where it will hit hard no doubt. I think Jim Beam will be my friend come Wednesday night and into the weekend.

Bobby
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 10:18:50 AM »

Went to the grocery store yesterday, all bottled water & almost all bread already sold out.  Crazy.  Maybe will try Whole Foods or Trader Joe's today, but will have no luck most likely.  Time to start filtering & bottling water.  Sad   On a good note, have pleanty of cereal & soy milk, so shouldn't run out of food, (also have plenty of medori & sour mix, that should fill the hours of no electricy quite nicely).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 10:21:29 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 10:17:50 PM »

Hurricane is coming....noon tomorrow.

Will go outside with my digital camera and take some pics. So far my classes were canceled, I think work will be too.

Will keep you posted, I should become a meterologist.

Bobby
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 09:51:34 AM »

Wish us luck:).  D.C. Metro is closing in an hour @ 11am, boss still made me come to work, imagine!  Will be cutting out soon though to catch the last bus, hopefully the storm won't be too bad.  Good luck to everyone else who's gotta sit this thing out.  Everyone please pray.
Ania
P.S.
Bobby, was in the same state of mind, bought myself a couple of disposable camaras last night.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 11:27:59 AM »

Everyone be safe, and be it known that you are remembered in our prayers.  I hope there is very little damage done.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 11:46:15 AM »

Well the wind is starting to kick in.  There are some gusts, still fairly quiet and no rain that I can see yet.  The children are all home safe. They closed the schools.  The 2 older ones are a bit nervous.  

We have stocks of fresh water (bathtub, jugs etc.) Thanks for posting the water purifying instructions, David.

The radio has batteries and a fresh set in a bag tied to the handle.
We have stocks of meds and non-perishable food.  The fridge is turned up to Very Cold.  My wisdom tooth that lost a filling on Monday was taken out yesterday.  I'm sore but better that then having it start screaming tonight in the thick of the storm.
I guess we're as set as we can make it for now.  We going laundry while we have power so there'll be lots of clean dry clothes and towels.

There were still people saying yesterday "Maybe it'll miss us" and "It's getting weaker."  phoo..  It's still a hurricane and it's still going to head this way.  

The weather radar map is interesting.  You can see swirls in the clouds it shows.  

The storm may track to the west of DC which (according to the weather service) means that we'll get the worst winds (NE side. ) I hope that Linus will be OK as it was heading more that way.

Thank you for all the prayers and advice.  The worst should be tonight and into tomorrow with clearing later on Friday.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2003, 01:19:23 PM »

Knowing Bobby, he'll probably go out and take photos from within the eye.  Tongue  

Still praying...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2003, 01:32:21 PM »

WOOOO

I'm watching trees fall down!!

My tire went flat driving home from work at 12pm. In the 45 mph winds and the pouring rain I managed to put a donut on and get home.

This is the stuff dreams are made of.

Bobby
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2003, 01:56:17 PM »

Also, keep in mind that the fuller your freezer is, the more efficient it is.  This works for normal day to day use in addition to when the power is out.  Put some water containers(2 liter soda bottles work well, but ziplock bags are fine) in the freezer so you fill up the space.  Also, if the power goes out and they melt eventually you will have cold water to drink when you've spent all day drinking lukewarm water.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2003, 07:52:30 PM »

I'm watching trees fall down!!

C'mon Bobby we want pictures!  Tongue

...I'll conitue to pray, unworthy though my prayers are...
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2003, 03:54:03 PM »

MD/DC/VA Update --

Lot's of power out  -- over 5 million in the DC Area.

Niki and I lost power yesterday at 4:00 PM. Hopefully it will be back on in a day or so. But they say that it may take a WEEK!

So, last post until I get power back cause I have to conserve my laptop battery
power as much as possible.

See Ya!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 09:46:00 PM by TomS » Logged
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2003, 06:43:36 PM »

I pray that everyone that was in the path of Hurricane Isabel made it through okay.  I lived through Hurricane Hugo so I can sympathize (I was living outside Charleston, South Carolina at the time).  I don't care to ever live through another one.  It is a terrifying experience.  One of my co-workers drove home to Alabama since her husband was in the Navy and had been sent out with his ship to ride out the storm at sea.  They lived one one of the islands and the house that they rented was destroyed by the wind and they lost everything.  When she was driving back into town, she got into an accident and their car was totalled.  

I pray everyone stocked up on batteries and coleman lamps.  With Hurricane Hugo, many people were without electricity for 2 weeks.  I was lucky.  My apartment in Goose Creek was on the same street as the police station, so I had power about 3 or 4 days after the hurricane.  My dad came to stay with me.  

I hope we hear from Bobby, Ania, and others soon.  They are in my prayers.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2003, 07:27:21 PM »

We have power, finally, as of about 5:30 PM EDT. We lost power at 4 Thursday. Damage in our immediate vicinity is surprisingly light. More later.

Has anyone heard from Linus?
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2003, 09:37:09 PM »

Thank God you and your family are safe Keble!  I have not seen Linus online lately, we should remember him and his family in our prayers while we await contact.  Well, actually we should always remember them in our prayers.  If for nothing else these natural disasters can lead us into deeper piety when prayer, fasting, study fall by the wayside in our busy everyday lives.  I am glad you are well.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2003, 10:20:45 PM »

Our lights went out at 4 PM Thursday before things got really bad.  Thank Heaven we prepared as best we could.  We had lots of dry clothes, flashlights and stocks of food and water so it was just staying calm. having some dinner and reassuring the children to get them to bed.  

We  became very concerned about Linus then when we were listening to the (battery) radio as the wind starting to shriek around 10.  The weather service announced that the center of the storm was bearing more to the west and that the eye was heading for Woodstock Virginia, which if I remember aright is where Linus lives.  All I know is his first name, I don't know how to find out if he's OK.

This could have been much worse; we're impressing on the children that we were very fortunate and to remember others who aren't. Those in Virginia (Ania and others) have to boil water before drinking since the Fairfax Co. water treatment plant lost power for a while, and with so many without electricity I don't know how they can do that.  We had plenty of water (took Davids advice) and we could cook on the grill outside; once the storm passed; we had lots of windfall wood for fuel.  There are trees or parts of trees down all over the area. we've seen a house a short way from here with the middle of the roof gone, and pictures in the paper of trees on cars or across roads.  The power came back after only 2 days, but there are still 100's of thousands in the dark.  Thank goodness that it's neither freezing nor 90 degrees.  

I've just talked to TomS on the phone.  He and his wife are fine.  They don't have power yet, but are whole and well.  

There's some cleaning up over the next week or so, but Thank Heaven it's over.

Many Thanks for all your prayers.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2003, 10:49:07 PM »

Glad you're OK, Ebor. TomS and others, too. I realize how blessed I am that I got through it unscathed. (Never lost electricity.) Just seemed like a shower with some noisy wind.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2003, 12:17:44 AM »

Indeed...I hope Linus and Ania check in soon!

-Yazid Ibrahim
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2003, 10:31:01 AM »

Hi All!  Thanks for your concern!  
We lost power a little before 4pm Thursday.  Soon after met up with some friends & ended up spending much of Thursday night & Friday morning in their apartment on the 10th floor of my building (mine's on the 3rd) where the view of the storm was better.  Our building's emergency generator kept dying, so we had no lights in the hallways or stairwells for most of Thursday night.  The roof over the main stairwell started to leak, & quite a few people took spills while trying to navigate the stairs in the dark, (I smell lawsuits) including several of my friends & my former roommate.  I pretty much ran out of candles & such, as my friends on the 10th floor (you remember my Buddhist friend, don't worry, nothing's happening on that front) didn't have any (they'd never gone through a hurricane before) and as there was only me in my apartment, & 5 people in theirs, i gave them all my good candles.  To entertain ourselves after many hours in the semi-darkness, (after we got sick of playing cards & the laptop's battery died so we couldn't listen to music anymore) we drove our neighbors nuts by taking several trips downstairs (10 stories down dark hallways & even darker staircases) to check on how the generator was coming along, as well as to get a closer look at the storm, and played hide-and-seek in the hallways, stairwells, & downstairs lobby & gym by flashlight & candle-light..  
On Friday we still had no power & no water, & building management informed us 2-7 days.  We started going a little stur-crazy, as our phones were running out of battery charge, & we didn't know what was going on the DC area, much less the world.
TG the power was restored to our neighborhood Saturday morning.  
Saturday night we sang vigil by candle-light at St. John's, and on Sunday morning liturgy was by candle-light as well.  Good thing the church luncheon had been a planned bbq & we got some good chebachichis (Serbian kabbobs).  
Anyway, to make a long meandering story quite a bit shorter than it could be, (trust me, I can go on & on about this past weekend), 100s of thousands still remain without electricy, but TG we are some of the lucky ones that got it back on quickly.  Also, it's amazing how many neighbors you meet & how much you find out about friends you thought you knew everything about when the tv, stereo, & cell phone is out of commision.  Even more amazing is how much people are willing to help you out, people who you never even would have thought to ask.  
Thanks for your prayers, etc.   Kiss
Ania
On a side note, I've been out of Medori, Peach Shnapps, Sour Mix & Vodka since early Friday morning.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 22, 2003, 11:22:30 AM by ania » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: