OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When does it feel "normal" to do Orthodox things?  (Read 1903 times) Average Rating: 0
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« on: December 12, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »

I've pretty much got the Orthodox way of making the sign of the cross right.  I do sometimes forget which I am suppose to be doing - but it's mostly there. Cheesy

But other small things like venerating icons, kissing the hands of the priest, saying "Father Bless" and other small things all feel very odd.

Do you ever get to a point where it feels less like you're being a big ol' fake and more like you're just doing what you do?

Carole
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »

I've pretty much got the Orthodox way of making the sign of the cross right.  I do sometimes forget which I am suppose to be doing - but it's mostly there. Cheesy

But other small things like venerating icons, kissing the hands of the priest, saying "Father Bless" and other small things all feel very odd.

Do you ever get to a point where it feels less like you're being a big ol' fake and more like you're just doing what you do?

Yes.  Sort of like driving stops feeling fake.  I do know, that seeing how natural it seems to my sons helped speed the process: they can't imagine life otherwise.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »

I'm not sure at what point it happens, it just does. One Sunday I was driving hoke from church and I realized I hadn't needed to remind myself to not to eat that morning. the rest kinda gradually seeped in the same way.

Proverbs 22:7
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »

A big ol' fake? Don't feel that way! Smiley Nothing wrong with being in-process. You'll feel 'doxed eventually, if you're regularly doing the stuff.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:35:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 02:05:01 PM »

If all Orthodox-since-being-born were at least as half as sedulous as You are... When I compare Your attitude to religion to those of mine I start to think about improving myself. Thanks for that Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 02:05:18 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »

I used to feel this way too after I converted and it does get much easier.  It helped me to realize that no one is really paying attention to how I'm crossing myself or if I bowed low enough or if I kissed the icon or only nodded toward it (my preferred method of veneration with a squirmy one year old in my arms).  After some time one begins to fall into the patterns of prayer and action.  I still have to remind myself not to eat on Sunday mornings but crossing myself has become nearly automatic. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »

Dear Carole,

When things begin to feel normal, some of the meaning departs, if we're not careful.  I remember when I first heard the Creed sung in a church I visited. It was a defining moment in my life and tears came to my eyes.  I found an mp3 of it on the Internet and played it over and over.  When I began praying my prayer rule, I carefully read the words of the Creed.  I thought it was much to long to ever commit to memory. After a few years, I discovered that I had, in fact, memorized the Creed.  Now I can rattle it off like a nursery rhyme and if I'm not careful, it has just as much meaning to me as a nursery rhyme.  So while I have gained normalcy, I have lost something, too.

In other words, cherish these days when it all still seems a little strange.

Love,
Xenia
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

I've heard some people make he argument, that since the OC should be "incarnational" we should amalgamate what are "normal" "orthodox" practices, to the normal way americans relate to one another.  For example, instead of kissing the priest's hand, just shake it, as an american would "normally" do, since that would be incarnational. 

Any thought?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »

I've heard some people make he argument, that since the OC should be "incarnational" we should amalgamate what are "normal" "orthodox" practices, to the normal way americans relate to one another.  For example, instead of kissing the priest's hand, just shake it, as an american would "normally" do, since that would be incarnational. 

Any thought?

American alleged anti-hierarchism has to be put in its proper place.

The hand is kissed because it touches the eucharist.  THAT's incarnational.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »

Dear Carole,

When things begin to feel normal, some of the meaning departs, if we're not careful. 

Love,
Xenia

By "normal" I mean ... "Not so unusual and uncomfortable as to make one reconsider doing it all together." 

Carole
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 10:16:20 PM »

The greatest amount of learning that a person does of the Orthodox Church is not when they are a catechumen but rather once they are enlightened, a new creation in Christ, a member of the Orthodox Church.  There is our real journey of learning.  We learn of the small traditions and customs that are often  local and cultural and the greater Traditions that encompass the entire church.  Some of these may be foreign to us as converts but as the years go by they become  so common in our lives that our children and grandchildren don't have to think to do them, they are part of their religious life and expression of faith.  Your comfort will come with time and practice.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »

The point at which this is reached is referred to in educational circles as automaticity. For simple tasks, 3 to 9 repetitions are required to reach automaticity. For more complicated tasks, it may take up to 30 repetitions, and if there is interference from previously learned skills (such as crossing left to right when you're trying to learn crossing from right to left), it may take up to four times as long as if there is no prior skill at all. Interestingly enough, you actually use less brain power the more you perform the task, so that you use hardly any one you reach automaticity.

So it's not that you're being fake right now, but that you have to force yourself to do things it's not used to doing, until such time as it adjusts.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »

Yeah you get used to it. Like on Wednesdays and Fridays we just don't eat any meat. As for rubrics you just get the hang of it. The hardest part is dealing with all your friends and family because you've changed and they stayed the same, and all of a sudden you're the "weird one"  even though you're the one doing the things Christians were always supposed to do but because of protestantism and Vatican 2 they don't know these things...or don't care. We converts do all the things we're supposed to do because the priests taught catechisms and they told us to do them. One habit to break is not asking the abbot for a blessing when the bishop is there, because only the bishop gives them when he's present. By that mean bowing and saying "Bless master" or whatnot. We have a constant flow of converts (Praise be to God!) and they always remind the "natives" what they're supposed to be doing.

Then visit your old sect and you see it much much differently.

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:29:34 AM »

So it's not that you're being fake right now, but that you have to force yourself to do things it's not used to doing, until such time as it adjusts.

I concur. A few short years ago I never greeted anyone but immediate family members with a kiss. . . and now it seems like the most natural thing to kiss the cheeks of female friends when I greet them. . . most especially when we are at church. Some things just become an ingrained response. . . and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

When I was a new inquirer to Orthodoxy I read that making the sign of the cross is related to the Jesus prayer (I read that certain words relate to the pattern of where your fingers are tracing the cross). Once I learned that, I realized that making the sign of the cross is then equated with praying that prayer. Rather than becoming meaningless (since it is easily possible to make the sign of the cross dozens of times during a service) I find that making the sign of the cross reinforces the prayer.

Hope that made some sense to you. Smiley

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: