OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC - American becomes unlikely new star on Arabs Got Talent  (Read 283 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« on: December 07, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »

When singing songs by Umm Kalthoum, the legendary Egyptian diva, Jennifer Grout can easily deceive even the best-trained ears.

She's an American with no Arab roots, who speaks only a few words of Arabic, and yet her singing barely betrays her identity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25263304

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

She's pretty awesome, as both a singer and an oud player

Youtube

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »

very good!
next time she needs to shake the shoulders a bit; she's got the voice.
i applaud her for going cross cultural - quite a leap!
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »

It's misleading to say that she has no roots/background at all:

""I speak a little bit of Moroccan dialect because I lived in Morocco for about a year, but I still cannot communicate with people in Arabic in Lebanon. Eventually I'd like to work on that," she says."

^From the same article. While I understand Moroccan Arabic is very different, it's not like she's a beginner that's had no Arabic exposure at all.

And a lot of comments I saw on it were pretty unhappy about her, along the lines of "it's Arabs Got Talent - she shouldn't win/be there/etc."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:50:13 PM by Nephi » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »

And a lot of comments I saw on it were pretty unhappy about her, along the lines of "it's Arabs Got Talent - she shouldn't win/be there/etc."

Notably, however, she is the sole competitor performing classical Arabic music. All the Arab singers are performing Western music/songs.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »

Notably, however, she is the sole competitor performing classical Arabic music. All the Arab singers are performing Western music/songs.

Come on, Neil, be serious.  The show is called "Arabs Got Talent", not "Arabs Got Arab Talent". 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »

Come on, Neil, be serious.  The show is called "Arabs Got Talent", not "Arabs Got Arab Talent". 

[don't we have a slaps head icon anywhere around here?] Of course, you're right! Whatever was I thinking??  Embarrassed

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:16:22 AM »

In my opinion, if you sing Oum Kalthoum, and you sing it well, you're a winner, hands down.

Do you want to get an Egyptian to freeze whatever he's doing? Play an Oum Kalthoum song. Nuff said!

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: