OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington Capital Features Festivus Pole  (Read 1314 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: December 10, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »

Some clever person has booked a day at the capital building in Olympia, Wash., to put up a Festivus display.  Any takers on the airing of grievances?   Grin

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »

Festivus Poles

I wonder if the woman comes with it?  Tongue

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:22:53 AM »

From the OP's link:

State officials, besieged by requests for more seasonal displays at the state Capitol, have approved several more - including a "Festivus" display honoring a faux holiday popularized by TV comedian Jerry Seinfeld.

There is at least one precedent for the concocting of a fake holiday at the end of the year: the observation of Kwanzaa, an artificial attempt to create an alternative holiday festival to Christmas designed to appeal to African Americans, supposedly based on the notion that Christianity is a "white man's" religion. How patronising, and how ahistoric, given the existence of Christianity in Africa since ancient times. I'm sure our Ethiopian and North African brethren (EO and OO alike) would be quite insulted by this.

Most people now celebrate the holiday on Dec. 23, as depicted on the December 18, 1997, Seinfeld episode "The Strike."

The holiday includes novel practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they have disappointed him or her over the past year.

Interesting mentality. And most un-Orthodox. Compare this "airing of grievances" with what the Orthodox do on Forgiveness Sunday, before the beginning of Great Lent. A world of difference.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:27:26 AM by LBK » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:24:23 AM »

There is at least two precedents for the concocting of a fake holiday at the end of the year: the Christian invention of December 25th as the birth date of Jesus, and the observation of Kwanzaa, an artificial attempt to create an alternative holiday festival to Christmas designed to appeal to African Americans. How patronising.

I fixed that for you Smiley

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »

I LOVE FESTIVUS!

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »

Festivus for the Rest of us!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8g4Ztf7hIM

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »

Any takers on the airing of grievances? 
I think OCnet posters are above that sort of behaviour.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »

From the OP's link:

State officials, besieged by requests for more seasonal displays at the state Capitol, have approved several more - including a "Festivus" display honoring a faux holiday popularized by TV comedian Jerry Seinfeld.

There is at least one precedent for the concocting of a fake holiday at the end of the year: the observation of Kwanzaa, an artificial attempt to create an alternative holiday festival to Christmas designed to appeal to African Americans, supposedly based on the notion that Christianity is a "white man's" religion. How patronising, and how ahistoric, given the existence of Christianity in Africa since ancient times. I'm sure our Ethiopian and North African brethren (EO and OO alike) would be quite insulted by this.

Most people now celebrate the holiday on Dec. 23, as depicted on the December 18, 1997, Seinfeld episode "The Strike."

The holiday includes novel practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they have disappointed him or her over the past year.

Interesting mentality. And most un-Orthodox. Compare this "airing of grievances" with what the Orthodox do on Forgiveness Sunday, before the beginning of Great Lent. A world of difference.

I wouldn't analyze this too much.  One of the things you have to remember is that this "holiday" has its origins on a TV sit-com, particularly from a character who likes to yell and get upset about stupid things.  Hand-in-hand with the airing of grievances are the "feats of strength."  In the show, according to Frank Costanza (the originator), Festivus cannot end until George (his son) pins him.

IMHO, this episode clearly was a brilliant parody of what religious holidays have become.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:54:29 PM »

Any takers on the airing of grievances? 
I think OCnet posters are above that sort of behaviour.

LMAO!!!

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »

Then, are we also above doing Festivus feats of strength?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

^ I still think we can perform the airing of grievances.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »

TALLAHASSEE — A nearly 6-foot-tall pole made from emptied beer cans, marking a parody holiday, will be put up in the Florida Capitol this week as a not-so-subtle protest to the recent placement of a Christian nativity scene.

The homemade Festivus pole will be erected most likely on Wednesday in the same first-floor rotunda as a nativity scene depicting the birth of Jesus Christ that was put up last week by the Florida Prayer Network.

“I still chuckle, I literally can’t believe there will be a pile of Pabst Blue Ribbon cans in the state rotunda,” said Chaz Stevens, a Deerfield Beach resident who applied to the state Department of Management Services to put the Festivus pole on display.
Festivus purists may favor a more-simple unadorned aluminum pole, but Stevens said the use of beer cans —- he wouldn’t say who emptied the cans —- is in line with the irreverent spirit of those who celebrate the holiday.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:58:44 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: