OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:58:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Orthodox Bible NT releasted today  (Read 2376 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: December 10, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »

The New Testament of the Eastern Orthodox Bible was released today: http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/ .  Does anyone have any information / criticism about it?  Thanks!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »

Never heard of it before.  Interesting that we have gone from no Orthodox Bibles to a glut.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »

First time I'm hearing of it, and if I'm reading the site correctly the OT won't be released until Dec. 2009? I tried to go to their Lulu store to see the prices, though only the 10.25 x 8.75 Hardcover version seems to be available at the moment (at $40).

Large Marge sent me...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »

I thought the EOB Old Testament was already out; I know we've got a thread about it around here somewhere...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

I've updated the tag at the bottom to link to the other EOB thread.

(And now back to our discussion, already in progress....)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:23:21 PM »

First time I'm hearing of it, and if I'm reading the site correctly the OT won't be released until Dec. 2009? I tried to go to their Lulu store to see the prices, though only the 10.25 x 8.75 Hardcover version seems to be available at the moment (at $40).

Ordering the hard cover from lulu worked ok for me earlier today.  Yes, it's just the NT, it says another year for the OT.  You can also download the NT in pdf from their download page, as well as part of the introduction to the OT (which has some interesting articles...)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »

The bad grammar in this section isn't comforting:

"Also, one limitation of the OSB is that it does not contains any scholarly introduction to the Old Testament in generally, part of which could have allowed the readers to know what underlying manuscripts of existing translations were used."

http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/osb.asp
nicholas1870

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Thyateira and Great Britain

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »

I came across this recently (though after I'd bought the Orthodox Study Bible).

I know what you mean about the grammar, it seems to a problem in some places. I found a typo in Zacharia in one of the footnotes and sent off an email. I got a polite reply very quickly saying that they would correct it. So I'd recommend forwarding any corrections to them as they seem very keen to fix typos/grammatical issues as and when they are found.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »

Does anyone know what happened to the EOB project? Last month their website said that the new edition was about to go to print, and now the website's down...

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »

By new edition do you mean a new edition of the New Testament, or one of the Old Testament volumes being released for the first time?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »

I believe it's a new, presumably final edition of their NT, which is not print-on-demand.

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »

Well that sucks, because I bought the print on demand version last year. I didn't know they were doing something more official or I would have waited.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »

Chances are the new edition wouldn't be drastically different from what you already have.

DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »

Any inside intel on how close their Old Testament is to completion?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 11:15:33 PM »

Their final NT is out. According to the website, the full EOB should be done at the end of 2012. They also are planning to release their Psalter at the end of this month (July) and an extensive revision of St. Philaret's catechism in December 2011.

Two annoying things I noticed: 1. they translate "bishops" as "overseers". The reason they give is that bishops and presbyters were interchangeable terms at the time, but I don't see why that would prevent them from using the word bishop.

2. They have an article at the end arguing that, in the Orthodox Church, bishops are not properly successors of the apostles but of St. Peter alone. This perspective is rather arguable and I'd rather they didn't include their pet theories in the pages of a Bible.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:18:50 PM by Iconodule » Logged

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »

Two annoying things I noticed: 1. they translate "bishops" as "overseers". The reason they give is that bishops and presbyters were interchangeable terms at the time, but I don't see why that would prevent them from using the word bishop.

I know you probably know this. But bishop is a Latinization of the Greek episkopos which means overseer in terms of the a servant that watches over the household when the Master is away.

It is the discontinuity in the English language between the word we use within the Church today that gives you pause?

Frankly, within the use of literal and figurative language of the NT of masters and slaves / servants (I hate the rendering of Mary as handmaiden in the Magnificat) it fits better. Although, I figure is does ring odd initially.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 12:47:42 AM »

I know you probably know this. But bishop is a Latinization of the Greek episkopos which means overseer in terms of the a servant that watches over the household when the Master is away.

It is the discontinuity in the English language between the word we use within the Church today that gives you pause?

Frankly, within the use of literal and figurative language of the NT of masters and slaves / servants (I hate the rendering of Mary as handmaiden in the Magnificat) it fits better. Although, I figure is does ring odd initially.

Yes, I'm aware that bishop is our approximation of "episkopos"; I just said "bishop" for convenience's sake. The thing is, they render "presbyter" as... "presbyter", not "elder." As I understand it, the NT "episkopos" was closer to today's bishop than to today's presbyter.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 12:52:22 AM »

Yes, I'm aware that bishop is our approximation of "episkopos"; I just said "bishop" for convenience's sake. The thing is, they render "presbyter" as... "presbyter", not "elder." As I understand it, the NT "episkopos" was closer to today's bishop than to today's presbyter.

Well that is not very consistent. It would have been interesting if they rendered presbyter as cowherd or with a little poetic license as shepherd.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »

Their final NT is out. According to the website, the full EOB should be done at the end of 2012. They also are planning to release their Psalter at the end of this month (July) and an extensive revision of St. Philaret's catechism in December 2011.
I've read a preview of the psalter somewhere online. I didn't dislike it.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »

I read through any reference I could see on their web site, but cannot figure out to which ecclesial jurisdiction(s) the publishers are affiliated, to any extent.  Are they affiliated with a monastery?  Are they an independent group?  Is there a board of trustees?  (This inquiry is not intended to be critical.)

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »

As far as I can tell, the project is primarily the work of Fr. Laurent Cleenewerck (OCA).

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »

The New Testament of the Eastern Orthodox Bible was released today: http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/ .  Does anyone have any information / criticism about it?  Thanks!

I see that Mark Bonocore is a contributor.  He is a strongly anti-Orthodox polemicist so his involvement is a surprise.

For a brief description of him please see message 10
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,33870.msg535048.html#msg535048

Apart from that,  how has this been received since its publication?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:13:29 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »

2. They have an article at the end arguing that, in the Orthodox Church, bishops are not properly successors of the apostles but of St. Peter alone. This perspective is rather arguable and I'd rather they didn't include their pet theories in the pages of a Bible.

This could be Mark Bonocore's anti-Orthodox influence.  It kind of taints the work.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:15:24 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:18 AM »

This could be Mark Bonocore's anti-Orthodox influence.  It kind of taints the work.

No, it's probably coming from Fr. Laurent- I believe he argues for it in other books. It is related to anti-RC polemic... the question is, is it a valid assumption?

Tags: Bible translation EOB 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: