OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:18:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do some people swear so much?  (Read 4095 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: December 10, 2008, 10:39:05 AM »

I was just listening on my car radio about the charges against Gov. Blagojevic, and noticed that on that infamous tape, where he talks about selling the Senator seat, he uses the "F word" so many times.

Why do people swear, and why do some people swear so much, all the time? It seems to be especially common to politicians. In Ukraine, the Mayor of one very large (over 1 mil.) industrial city in the East of the country was caught on video talking with his deputy and using obscene words with an astonishing rate (something like 200 times in 5 minutes). The late President of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, also was notorious for his habit of swearing loudly even in the Parliament hall. Now I see that US politicians are the same, at least some of them. Or maybe all of them? Is it like a "professional disease?" Does the "elitist" Obama swear, too?

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »

Some people 'round these parts (especially teenagers) use profanity to make themselves appear tougher and also to shock people.  Thing is, though, they use it so often that the F bomb becomes a noun, a verb, an adjective, and adverb, a gerund, and all manner of other parts of speech that don't really make sense and therefore loses the shock value. 

I've heard many teachers say that profanity is a substitute for poor vocabulary.   Grin

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »

Perhaps people swear to fill in their own interior emptiness, and like EofK stated, puff out their egos.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:35:11 PM »

I think it's because we havent bothered to put a censer button on all our cell phones.  I bet if we did, conversations would be a whole lot more fun, and also, help promote hand-voice coordination.

Like all things, used sparingly, curse words or in Spockian terms (as in Captain) "Colourful Metaphores",
can retain their effectiveness.  Problem is, they are overused.

To quote DC Curry, " Back in the day if you hollered at a girl and you called her B---h, she knew exactly what you thoughy of her and how you felt about her.  Nowadays, if you holler at a girl B---h, she's trying to figure out where she knows you from"

I think part of the problem is that we have not as a whole been taught to argue or discourse without anger or overt passion.  Think about what we are being shown on TV all the time by our politicians and celebrities.  The ones that get quoted the most often are the ones who yell, even nonsensically, at the audience.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5FzCeV0ZFc

So, the only other way we see perhaps to enhance that is to use explicatives, even in a grotesque nature.  I'm not justifying this behavior at all, simply stating a reason why.

BTW, the youtube link is not in any way meant to be political, but it was simply the best example I could think of. 

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »

I think it's because we havent bothered to put a censer button on all our cell phones.
Is that a button which sends out a cloud of incense when you press it? Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »

Most people I have asked this question to say that it is because swearing is the only way they know how to express how angry they are.  they cannot conceive of another way to truly tell someone how angry they are, how stupid the other person is, etc.  They don't know how to describe a "crazy" situation other than through cussing. Then that developed into "modern language" and people use it all the time now to express or explain or describe things. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »

Most people I have asked this question to say that it is because swearing is the only way they know how to express how angry they are.  they cannot conceive of another way to truly tell someone how angry they are, how stupid the other person is, etc.  They don't know how to describe a "crazy" situation other than through cussing. Then that developed into "modern language" and people use it all the time now to express or explain or describe things. 

But then, if this is true, why are politicians angrier than other people? Or at least they seem that way? It just shocked me that Blagojevic used the F word with the intensity of some grotesque mobster in a black Tarantino comedy...

Love never fails.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:10:09 PM »

I come from a family (on one side) that swears a lot, and am of the opinion that it's nothing more than an innocent sub-cultural phenomenon for most of them. They swear because this is the language that is used among their circle of family and friends. They aren't trying to make a point, to be vulgar, etc., it's just the way that they have been taught from youth to talk. They know that it's not culturally acceptable to swear in certain contexts, but within the context of family/friend get-togethers, they see no problem using swear words. They don't even think twice about it.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »

Is that a button which sends out a cloud of incense when you press it?

YARGH!

I meant censor.

Though that would be cool......

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

I come from a family (on one side) that swears a lot, and am of the opinion that it's nothing more than an innocent sub-cultural phenomenon for most of them. They swear because this is the language that is used among their circle of family and friends. They aren't trying to make a point, to be vulgar, etc., it's just the way that they have been taught from youth to talk. They know that it's not culturally acceptable to swear in certain contexts, but within the context of family/friend get-togethers, they see no problem using swear words. They don't even think twice about it.

Perhaps you are right, it may be just a family heritage. I heard my classmates swear when I was a schoolboy, but to me it was never a habit to swear, because I never heard obscene language in my family. And it's not like my dad was a dry, humorless type - actually, he loved all kinds of jokes, including "salty" jokes about women; but he just did not swear. I remember maybe two times when he was re-e-e-eally annoyed by something and uttered just one "bad" word, but then he would immediately turn beet-red and run away, and hide somewhere, because he could not forgive himself that he said THAT word. Smiley

Other families are so different though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:03:52 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »

I'm often guilty of this so here's my two cents: I don't know. Sailors/marines do it I guess to keep themselves uncivilized. I think the other guys are right. One of my confessors keeps reminding me "There's no swearing in Heaven." I've gotten better, I try to take this faith of ours seriously. I manage to get through most of life without a curse word, the rest of the time I try to make like Hank Hill and say things like "shucks" and "dang". It's the world we live in that such language is "tolerated." I do hear more swearing from some types of people more than others...but I don't want to be called "racist" etc. But then again I get called that every day anyway among other things.

On the other hand, "Frankly my dear I don't give a hoot" doesn't have the same weight.

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:26:20 PM »

Granted, there's not as much force behind "leaping lizards!" but it can surely diffuse a tense situation.  My personal favorite is the Yosemite Sam style "rackafrackin so and so sassafrass grumble grumble."  I can't excuse myself from it, though, as I've also uttered a few phrases to melt a grandmother's ear.  There's something about low language that can express anger and frustration effectively (in some ways).

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »

I think it's because we havent bothered to put a censer button on all our cell phones.  I bet if we did, conversations would be a whole lot more fun, and also, help promote hand-voice coordination.

If we did that, many teenagers might sound like they speak in morse code.

signature
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »

If we did that, many teenagers might sound like they speak in morse code.

Great!  then we cna finally understand them

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »

"Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully."

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »

Men who use profanity mixed with anger against their wives use it to instill fear.
It is a form of verbal abuse and can be very damaging to the souls of the couple.
Those horrible words can feel like a punch in the stomach if you are on the receiving
end of them.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 01:07:07 AM »

My personal favorite is the Yosemite Sam style "rackafrackin so and so sassafrass grumble grumble."
Personally, I like "SON OF A BISCUIT EATER!". Grin
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:36:31 AM »

"Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully."

"Cursing is the language of the Ignorant."

or

"Cursing is like a language's sodium lauryl sulfate. It strips you of dignity."-- Myrrh23
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:39:14 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: