OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:47:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should we keep nested quoting in posts?
Yes - 17 (47.2%)
No - 19 (52.8%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we keep nested quoting in posts?  (Read 8074 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:33:19 PM »

Should we keep nested quoting in posts?

That's where when person A quotes person B and then person C quotes person A who had quoted B, it makes a series of nests.

It can get fuzzy when you want to excise some of the quoting. People seem to have trouble with the idea of editing opening and closing tags.

So do we want to get rid of it and when you quote a post where someone quotes someone else, it just quotes their comments?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:36:30 PM »

On the top right corner of every post, there should be two options, "Quote" and "Quote (with Nesting)."  For the very few times that one possibly wants to use nesting quotes to make a certain point in a discussion, they can click on that second one.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »

^ Yes. I believe I had brought that up when we first implemented the nested quote feature. If it's possible to have a single quote and a nested quote feature separately, then I vote for that. If not, I think I'd like to go back to the single quotes. I've had to do a lot more editing of my posts because of nested quote mishaps.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »

On the top right corner of every post, there should be two options, "Quote" and "Quote (with Nesting)."  For the very few times that one possibly wants to use nesting quotes to make a certain point in a discussion, they can click on that second one.

We'll only go that route if there exists an officially-released extension to the software. None of us has time to try and hack the code ourselves.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »

I tend to prefer "fool-proof" methods, but in this case, I think if the only option is to have nested quoting or not, I'd rather have nested quoting. With a little practice, most people will be able to remove any unwanted extra quotes. The reason I'd like to keep them is because we don't have "subthreads", so if a particular conversation is going on in a thread, it is much easier to follow if the conversation is quoted in the response post (which may come weeks later by which time scores of posts and tangents will have come into the thread between the dialogue relevant to the discussion).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »

I like the nested quotes (sometimes they're useful for following back-and-forth discussion), and have no problem with editing out unnecessary levels if needed.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:22:39 PM »

Personally, I like the nested quoting.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 06:24:34 PM »

I do everything manually anyway with copy and paste and writing in the code, so...  Wink
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 06:32:25 PM »

I vote no nested quotes.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »

Never been a fan of nested quoting.  Never will.  Having a choice is acceptable compromise.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 02:14:17 AM »

The new way is very confusing ,what nice guy thought of bringing in these new quote boxes...the one who did it should be hugged...wouldn't it be better before any future change that come our way ,to poll the posters if they would like  a change or not..
After all its us the posters that will have to suffer or not by these changes ....my 2 cents worth.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
 Now, now - calling someone a "moron" is an ad hominem, and certainly not allowed.  You should be nicer than that, my friend, even if you hate the nested quotes.  You'll be on "warned" status for 3 weeks.  This will not affect your ability to post or message.  Please PM FrChris if you feel that this warning is in error.

- Cleveland, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:45:57 AM by cleveland » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Symeon
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 02:29:56 AM »

I've always found it annoying. Down with nested quotes.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 07:15:57 AM »

Nested quoting is a heretical innovation, it reduces the role of quotes in the area of postology

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 08:58:44 AM »

Nested quoting is a heretical innovation, it reduces the role of quotes in the area of postology

lol

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »

The new way is very confusing ,what nice guy thought of bringing in these new quote boxes...the one who did it should be hugged...wouldn't it be better before any future change that come our way ,to poll the posters if they would like  a change or not..
After all its us the posters that will have to suffer or not by these changes ....my 2 cents worth.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
 Now, now - calling someone a "moron" is an ad hominem, and certainly not allowed.  You should be nicer than that, my friend, even if you hate the nested quotes.  You'll be on "warned" status for 3 weeks.  This will not affect your ability to post or message.  Please PM FrChris if you feel that this warning is in error.

You have to work pretty hard to get warned in a thread about the technical nature of the forum?

Also I still oppose this ecumenical stance on nested quoting!! We need to be unified in Dogma.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:03:52 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »

I vote to keep the nested quotes.  While they can occasionally get out of hand, in general, they're great for following responses to a conversation without having to constantly backtrack to find what the previously quoted post was referencing.  While some people seem to have issues using them properly, doing so only takes a little bit of time and effort.  I don't see any reason to get rid of the nested quotes.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »

Stashko,
Do you have any insight into how obnoxious this sounds? Fr. Anastasios, Fr. Chris and the Moderators freely give up their time and energy to provide you all with a site for discussions, and you respond by calling them "morons" in a thread where they have asked for your opinion and feedback.
I think you owe Fr. Anastasios an apology.
George

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »

After all its us the posters that will have to suffer or not by these changes ....my 2 cents worth.....

On a personal level:

You do realize that the Administrators of this site are not able to tend to OC.net as a full-time job, right?  All three have jobs, families/friends/etc, parishes, activities, and other necessary parts of life that they tend to; so sometimes beta testing features won't work, or things will be implemented without asking first, or the site will experience some downtime, etc.

The rest of us, who have the luxury of coming to the site without worrying about the coding, backups, slowdowns, hackers, server issues, et al., should be patient with those who do have to worry about such things, on top of the dozens of other priorities in their lives.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »

Do you have any insight into how obnoxious this sounds? Fr. Anastasios, Fr. Chris and the Moderators freely give up their time and energy to provide you all with a site for discussions, and you respond by calling them "morons" in a thread where they have asked for your opinion and feedback.

Remember - thanks to creative editing, he now calls them "nice guys."  That was so kind of him (or the mod who edited & warned him).

*pats self on back*

---------------------
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 11:58:42 AM »

A gentle reminder:

All work for OCnet is done by the administrators free of charge, and with our own time resources.  Speaking for myself, OCnet is one of my many projects, which include a full time job, spending time with wife, two missions, four or so other websites, sitting on the Metropolitan Council of my diocese, and trying to learn Greek ever so slowly.

Please understand that feature testing is some of the most difficult work; we want to give you users more features but oftentimes different users have different needs and features conflict with one another.  I personally prefer a streamlined approach with as little add ons as possible.  But we periodically scan available add ons to see what we can offer the community. Sometimes the add ons do not work as well as could be. That is why I took a poll.

Thank you for your understanding.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:59:13 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 04:31:22 PM »

I vote to keep the nested quotes.  While they can occasionally get out of hand, in general, they're great for following responses to a conversation without having to constantly backtrack to find what the previously quoted post was referencing.  While some people seem to have issues using them properly, doing so only takes a little bit of time and effort.  I don't see any reason to get rid of the nested quotes.
Veniamin has expressed my sentiments so well that all I really need to do is echo him without adding anything.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 05:35:54 PM »

Maybe we can have an option between two tags. nest and quote. This way we can nest a quote or quote a nests.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:44:55 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

Stashko,
I think you owe Fr. Anastasios an apology.
George

I really do apologies to Father i tried to change it later but i was to late ,to change , time expired ....Father Bless And Forgive ...Stashko....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »

No problem I forgive you; God bless you.

Please Buy My Book!

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

Maybe we can have an option between two tags. nest and quote. This way we can nest a quote or quote a nests.  Wink

I'm with Demetri.  Sometimes i like the nesting, other times it is VERY difficult.  I always lose track of where the \quote is.  Having the option would be perfect for me. 

In general though, i'm not a big fan of the nesting b/c it makes it harder to just respond to one of the sentences as opposed to all of them.  Before, you could just cut the last parts of the paragraph and just put in the quote bubble and people could figure out what you're talking about linearly.  Now, you have to separate EVERYTHING out, you have to make sure that your not WITHIN the /quote area.  It is much harder to separate thoughts, b/c everything is nestled together. 

Anyway, for a person like me it is much more difficult and as a matter of fact in the past couple of weeks that we've had the nesting I have barely quoted another person, or if I did I just copied and pasted and put their name in front of it...which is not the same as linking and etc. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 06:08:48 PM »

I know the apology was primarily to Fr Anastasios, and I did not want to interject prior to his response, but now that he has....

To help clear any mystery or concern that may be held by anyone, let me state that I was not offended, and ask for forgiveness of anyone I may have offended, most especially our beloved Stashko.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »

I feel that the nested quotes are good, because its difficult to keep scrolling up and down to find the post quoted by the post quoted by the post. Honestly, using the tags in Quotes is no harder than doing basic math. Remember the distributive rule, or Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally? Sometimes math problems with parenthecies can be difficult, but if you work it out logically with the innermost one, its not so bad, right GiC? SO with that being said, If you can solve a math problem you can do nested quotes. (what movie is this quote based on? Hint: Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn).

Keep the nesting!

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »

I feel that the nested quotes are good, because its difficult to keep scrolling up and down to find the post quoted by the post quoted by the post. Honestly, using the tags in Quotes is no harder than doing basic math. Remember the distributive rule, or Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally? Sometimes math problems with parenthecies can be difficult, but if you work it out logically with the innermost one, its not so bad, right GiC? SO with that being said, If you can solve a math problem you can do nested quotes. (what movie is this quote based on? Hint: Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn).

Keep the nesting!

-Nick

just like in all my other math problems, I need an example.  I am not connecting what you talked about, with the example of nesting.  Can you please lay it out for me? 

I also don't understand what you're talking about in terms of posts within posts within posts? 

Also, lets say I only want to reply to ONE of the quotes within a nest of 5 quotes...how would I do that?  How would I separate them out, while keeping the one post, without it being "nested" and then the rest of the quotes being "nested" within the original nest? 

Let me know if that makes sense...i'm trying to prove a point but at the same time honestly ask a question.  If you can answer the question, we'll see if you can prove or disprove my point.  Thanks! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »

Keep the nesting!

-Nick

just like in all my other math problems, I need an example.  I am not connecting what you talked about, with the example of nesting.  Can you please lay it out for me? 

I also don't understand what you're talking about in terms of posts within posts within posts? 

Also, lets say I only want to reply to ONE of the quotes within a nest of 5 quotes...how would I do that?  How would I separate them out, while keeping the one post, without it being "nested" and then the rest of the quotes being "nested" within the original nest? 

Let me know if that makes sense...i'm trying to prove a point but at the same time honestly ask a question.  If you can answer the question, we'll see if you can prove or disprove my point.  Thanks! 
Distributive Property of Multiplication over Addition:  a * (x + y) = a * x + a * y

Other examples of the distributive rule:
a * (x - y) = a * x - a * y
(x + y)/a = x/a + y/a
(x - y)/a = x/a - y/a

PEMDAS actually speaks of the proper order to follow in solving a mathematical operation.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:32:04 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »

It may not be that difficult, but RPN is far easier and more efficient. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 02:30:46 PM »

It may not be that difficult, but RPN is far easier and more efficient. Wink
RPN?  I probably know the concept, but I'm not familiar with the acronym.
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 02:32:26 PM »

Keep the nesting!

-Nick

This might be more for GiC's level, but ignoring the formula, how would you apply the order of operation rules to this equation? (bonus points for telling me what equation this is)
(-1)(|a|-1)(|b|-1){a,[b,c]}+(-1)(|b|-1)(|C|-1){b,[a,c]}+(-1)(|c|-1)(|a|-1){c,[a,b]}=0

Now for the question that's more at the rest of our level:

[(((456*4)*7)+(65-42))] = Huh

To answer your second question, If I have 3 posts and there is no nesting, I post the most recent one quoting you. If I want to see what you were referring to, I have to look at what was quoted from the post before that. If I want to see what that person was talking about, I have to look at the post before that. Whereas, if we have nested quotes, I look at your post and I follow the entire conversation.

To answer question 3, I'd look at the beginning quote tag that has the author's name in it and keep that one, then remove the other beginning quote tags from the quotes and then remove all of the text that isn't related to the author you're quoting, and then keep one of the /Quote tags at the end.

-Nick
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:33:45 PM by admiralnick » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 02:39:08 PM »

Reverse Polish Notation, it was the standard notation used in nearly all early scientific calculators, most notably HP. I still refuse to use any calculator that does not implement it, it easily doubles the speed with which you can input problems of any complexity.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »

Reverse Polish Notation, it was the standard notation used in nearly all early scientific calculators, most notably HP. I still refuse to use any calculator that does not implement it, it easily doubles the speed with which you can input problems of any complexity.
Something I actually learned in a computer science class.  RPN works extremely well when using a stack to perform math operations.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 07:57:28 PM »

Keep the nesting!

-Nick

See, I want to put an answer right here because I want to be linear in answering your topics...let's see what happens (I assume that this little answer will be within the blue "quote" boxes, and not outside.)

This might be more for GiC's level, but ignoring the formula, how would you apply the order of operation rules to this equation? (bonus points for telling me what equation this is)
(-1)(|a|-1)(|b|-1){a,[b,c]}+(-1)(|b|-1)(|C|-1){b,[a,c]}+(-1)(|c|-1)(|a|-1){c,[a,b]}=0

Now for the question that's more at the rest of our level:

[(((456*4)*7)+(65-42))] = Huh

To answer your second question, If I have 3 posts and there is no nesting, I post the most recent one quoting you. If I want to see what you were referring to, I have to look at what was quoted from the post before that. If I want to see what that person was talking about, I have to look at the post before that. Whereas, if we have nested quotes, I look at your post and I follow the entire conversation.

To answer question 3, I'd look at the beginning quote tag that has the author's name in it and keep that one, then remove the other beginning quote tags from the quotes and then remove all of the text that isn't related to the author you're quoting, and then keep one of the /Quote tags at the end.

-Nick

I am not really sure still how that works Nick.  I am trying to give you an example of my confusion/frustration WITHIN this topic/post, so perhaps maybe you can walk me through it?  Let's see...

[modified to prove a point]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:58:21 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »

Keep the nesting!

-Nick

I can now respond just to this quote. I cleaned out all of the other quotes in less than 30 seconds and I'm left simply with this one. I deleted all of the headers except "quote author=admiralnick link=topic=18738.msg276497#msg276497 date=1229020346" and then figured out which block of text was mine, and then eliminated all of the other text except the ending "/quote" tag.

-Nick
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:49:53 AM by admiralnick » Logged

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »

I prefer DAL as it has become the standard since 1990. Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »

When does the poll/question expire?  Out of 30 votes thus far, 17 are for dropping the nested quotes. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

Keep the nesting!

-Nick

I can now respond just to this quote. I cleaned out all of the other quotes in less than 30 seconds and I'm left simply with this one. I deleted all of the headers except "quote author=admiralnick link=topic=18738.msg276497#msg276497 date=1229020346" and then figured out which block of text was mine, and then eliminated all of the other text except the ending "/quote" tag.

-Nick

Yah, but I could just do that before by just clicking on the "quote" button, that just directly quoted from the post you wanted, instead of nesting.  no editing necessary, so I wouldn't have even needed to clean up any "nesting" period. 

See my point?  Nesting might be nice if you want to keep the progression of thought, but that's the whole point of reading the posts before..........I don't know...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 02:55:41 AM »

-Nick

That's exactly what I have been doing.  Goodness, if I can do it, anyone can.   Smiley Tongue

The quote things, though, have to be in brackets:  []

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 07:58:58 AM »

After letting this discussion go on for several days, I've finally voted to keep the nested quotes format, for now. There are obvious pros and cons involved. It seems they become most troublesome in threads where there are many one-liner rejoinders quoted which makes reading the flow difficult (much less editing), but on whole and despite this, I prefer them.

Perhaps we could give them a bit more time and re-visit the question after we all get just a bit more experience?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »

After letting this discussion go on for several days, I've finally voted to keep the nested quotes format, for now. There are obvious pros and cons involved. It seems they become most troublesome in threads where there are many one-liner rejoinders quoted which makes reading the flow difficult (much less editing), but on whole and despite this, I prefer them.

Perhaps we could give them a bit more time and re-visit the question after we all get just a bit more experience?

That's the easy answer.  I'd rather just keep complaining until I get what I want.   Wink  It worked in grade school.   Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

I tend to prefer "fool-proof" methods, but in this case, I think if the only option is to have nested quoting or not, I'd rather have nested quoting. With a little practice, most people will be able to remove any unwanted extra quotes. The reason I'd like to keep them is because we don't have "subthreads", so if a particular conversation is going on in a thread, it is much easier to follow if the conversation is quoted in the response post (which may come weeks later by which time scores of posts and tangents will have come into the thread between the dialogue relevant to the discussion).

What my brother said so well!

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »

We have a plurality but not a supermajority against nested quotes.

I'll continue to hack out unneeded quotes.   Cheesy
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2008, 07:56:51 PM »

We have a plurality but not a supermajority against nested quotes.

I'll continue to hack out unneeded quotes.   Cheesy

In North American usage it would be more correct to say that it has received a majority of the votes, as it has over 50%. In British usage the correct term would be absolute majority since majority can be interpreted as synonymous to plurality in North American usage (more than any other candidate/proposition/etc., but less that 50%).

Supermajority is a relative term depending on the context. In the United States Senate it may be generally regarded as 3/5ths, the number of votes required to end a filibuster. However, in another context in the Senate (such as a trial to convict someone and remove them from office or to present a Constitutional amendment to the states), and in several other cases, a supermajority would be regarded as 2/3rds. To actually amend the Constitution a supermajority of 3/4ths the states is required, in this context a mere 2/3rds of the states would not represent a supermajority in any meaningful sense.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:58:22 PM by greekischristian » Logged

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 04:20:12 AM »

What Veniamin said.  Keep 'em.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Hening
Fr Deacon Michael Heningham

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »

Authoring nested quotes might possibly be a gift of the Spirit, of which I have not been blessed.  I have admiration for those that labor at them, and hope that my avoidance of the art doesn't distract too much from my replies.

Associate Pastor, Emmanuel Orthodox Church
Warren, MA, USA
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »

NO COMMENTS...ON THE QUOTE BOXES...LAST TIME IT GAVE ME A GREEN DOT...SmileyCentral.com" border="0 

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »

NO COMMENTS...ON THE QUOTE BOXES...LAST TIME IT GAVE ME A GREEN DOT...

Please stop shouting at us.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 01:59:41 AM »

NO COMMENTS...ON THE QUOTE BOXES...LAST TIME IT GAVE ME A GREEN DOT...

Please stop shouting at us.
IOW, turn the CAPS LOCK key off.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 03:17:08 AM »

Even the smiley in Reply #47 is embarrassed as it turns red; Not using all caps was the first thing I learned about Internet Ettiquette ... back in 1994.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:17:45 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »

Just wanted to see if we had gotten anywhere on this topic...?  Is there any way we could make it optional?  Like putting something in the Profile section, where someone could just click on a button and you would turn it on or off?  would that work? 

p.s.  i'm a personal fan of caps lock!   Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2009, 10:51:44 AM »

p.s.  i'm a personal fan of caps lock!   Grin

No more from you.

---------------------
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »

p.s.  i'm a personal fan of caps lock!   Grin

No more from you.

I dare you to try.... Tongue

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: