OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 04:37:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Church Elders Choose Interim Leader  (Read 758 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: December 07, 2008, 07:52:45 PM »

The Russian Orthodox Church chose Metropolitan Kirill as an interim leader on Saturday after the death of Patriarch Alexiy II, a move that could open the way for more cooperation with Catholics.

Kirill, the Metropolitan of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, is an articulate public speaker and heads the Church's department for external relations. Most Russians see him as the public face of the Church, frequently appearing on television.

A group of 12 senior clergy, the ruling body known as the Holy Synod, selected Kirill by secret ballot at the patriarchal residence in the village of Peredelkino outside Moscow...

To read the rest of the story go to: Russian Church Elders Choose Interim Leader

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:42:12 AM »

He's probably now the favorite to succeed ALEXY.  Personally, I would hope not.  The man, to me, appears too soft and too conciliatory towards the Catholics in particular.  But, we'll see what happens.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:25:46 AM »

He's probably now the favorite to succeed ALEXY.  Personally, I would hope not.  The man, to me, appears too soft and too conciliatory towards the Catholics in particular.  But, we'll see what happens.

I agree!!!!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: