OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: τάυ and πί  (Read 2571 times)
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: January 01, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »

In Modern Greek, is the Greek τ spoken as a "d", as in "dog"? If so, why is it spoken "t" as in "toy" in the words "delta"(δελτα) and "itta"(Ήτα)? Thanks!  Smiley

Also, how is "πί" pronounced? Is it pronounced as "fee" or "bee"? Thank you very much! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:06:34 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »

In Modern Greek, is the Greek τ spoken as a "d", as in "dog"? If so, why is it spoken "t" as in "toy" in the words "delta"(δελτα) and "itta"(Ήτα)? Thanks!  Smiley
The Greek "τ" is pronounced as the English "d" only when it follows the Greek letter "ν". So "αντι" (anti) is pronounced "andy" in Greek with the stress on the second syllable.

Also, how is "πί" pronounced? Is it pronounced as "fee" or "bee"? Thank you very much! Smiley
"Fee" and "bee" rhyme in Australian Englsh, so I can't hear the difference. If the second letter is supposed to be an iota ("ι"- i.e., it has no dot above it) then "πι" would be pronounced as the "pi" in "piston".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

What websites would you recommend for learning the Greek language, George? I'm starting to use a book called Conversational Greek in 7 Days, so that is helping a little, though it's frustrating to see some websites pronouncing the letters differently. Thank you! Smiley

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »

What websites would you recommend for learning the Greek language, George? I'm starting to use a book called Conversational Greek in 7 Days, so that is helping a little, though it's frustrating to see some websites pronouncing the letters differently. Thank you! Smiley
I really wouldn't know about websites. I learned Greek in Greek School from the age of 6 till I was 18, and that was pre-Internet! (The first 3/4 of my education was pre-PC!)
Fr. Anastasios is currently learning modern Greek. Perhaps he can direct you?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

I really wouldn't know about websites. I learned Greek in Greek School from the age of 6 till I was 18, and that was pre-Internet! (The first 3/4 of my education was pre-PC!)
Fr. Anastasios is currently learning modern Greek. Perhaps he can direct you?

George how did you finish school without the internet (and dare I say with out a PC)!!! Cheesy

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:07:40 AM »

The Greek "τ" is pronounced as the English "d" only when it follows the Greek letter "ν". So "αντι" (anti) is pronounced "andy" in Greek with the stress on the second syllable.

"Fee" and "bee" rhyme in Australian Englsh, so I can't hear the difference. If the second letter is supposed to be an iota ("ι"- i.e., it has no dot above it) then "πι" would be pronounced as the "pi" in "piston".

π is "p," except in the same circumstances (i.e. after a nasal) that T is "d," in which case π is "b."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:52:04 AM »

π is "p," except in the same circumstances (i.e. after a nasal) that T is "d," in which case π is "b."

Huh I got lost in that. Cheesy

George, did you grow up in Greece or Australia?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »

Hi myrrh23,
Perhaps some of these (from among my several dozen bookmarked) might help:
http://langintro.com/greek/
http://www.xanthi.ilsp.gr/filog/
http://www.webtopos.gr/eng/languages/greek/index.htm
http://modern-greek-verbs.tripod.com/home.html

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:28:33 PM »

Grin Thanks, Αριστοκλής!!  Grin

Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »

Quote from: ianmisry
Yes, but only in the beginning of the word. If μπ or ντ (mp-nt) appears in the middle of the word, then mp is pronounced m-b (and not b) and nt-->n-d (and not d)
Par example:
Κάμπος-Kampos (the plain) is pron Kam-bos
Εκπομπή-Ekpompi (broadcast, transmission) is pron Ekpom-bi
However, if μπ or ντ appear twice, ad seriatim within a word, then they're pronounced as the english b or d
Par example:
Μπαμπάς (Mpampas-dad) is pron babas
Νταντά (Ntanta-nanny) is pron dada 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: