OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:12:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question to admins (especially Fr.Chris)  (Read 1493 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: December 06, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »

Well, I were totally amazed, when I found this forum a few months ago. It's the biggest and the most popular Orthodox forum I've found, or maybe the biggest at all.  Especially I appreciate the news and theological boards. You don't  avoid, controversial topics. I admire Your impartiality and reliability.

But one question cames to my mind. Have You ever been implied by hierarchs, or some groups of faithful not to broach some controversial affairs? Have You been, Fr.Chris, ever threatened by Your diocesan bishop for writing something "improper". How bishops of any jurisdiction react on posts, which contains negative opinion about them? (I don' mean any certain topic, but I'm asking in generally).

Or maybe they understand that independent platform to sends people's opinion is necessary and they aren't angered by the thing, they don't like?

Just of curiosity.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »

Since I was directly asked something, I will reply.

In a nutshell: no, I have never been discouraged or encouraged by my hierarch, Metropolitan ALEXIOS of Atlanta, from participating or administering this forum. I have not hid my participation here from him and discussed this site with him.

However, this is only my experience. Other clergy serving under other hierarchs may have their mileage vary.  Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »

I realised that there is 20-year-gap  in people's mentality between Poland and the USA :/
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »

I realised that there is 20-year-gap  in people's mentality between Poland and the USA :/

So...you guys are 20 years younger than us? In what way(s)?

Or did you mean something else?

Please explain so we understand the point you are making.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was saying that in terms of embracing the internet, etc., Poles seem to have a mindset about 20 years behind that of the US.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was saying that in terms of embracing the internet, etc., Poles seem to have a mindset about 20 years behind that of the US.

Actually, that was exactly my point!  Smiley

If a poster does not describe what he or she has observed and provide at least anecdotal evidence, the point can be interpreted differently. Therefore, s/he should describe what s/he intended, instead of just making a one sentence post!

Mike---what leads you to state what you posted?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »

Well, it's Polish idiom (maybe not understandable for You) which means that Polish hierarchs will have been as understanding as American's in twenty years.

Now if something (news, or comment or something like this), in their opinion "improper", is written somewhere (e.g. on the site I've got in my profile) they insist on correcting or deleting it. They think that their opinion is the best one and there're not any chances for kind a dialog.

Sorry for my not clear previous post
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:27:45 PM by mike » Logged
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

In my estimation, as long as it doesn't relate to said Hierarch or their diocese directly and is not meant in a hurtful or inappropriate way, I always assumed that the internet was freedom of expression, regardless of what a hierarch has to say. Since I didn't get to say it earlier welcome to the forums.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: