Author Topic: what does my icon say?  (Read 727 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
what does my icon say?
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:29:17 AM »
I can't read what the icon my godfather gave me at Chrismation says.  it's abviously St. Tikhon., but it doesn't look like it says Tikhon (in Russian).  it's a longer word.  and there's a word to the right of him.  I took pictures, and I will put them at the bottom here.  aswell as a full-icon picture, in case any of you can't see the letters, but have the icon.

Left: 

Right: 

full: 

and please ignore the TOTALLY WRONG dates at the bottom of the pictures.  thanks for any help you can offer!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:30:10 AM by trevor72694 »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Re: what does my icon say?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:19:31 AM »
I can't read what the icon my godfather gave me at Chrismation says.  it's abviously St. Tikhon., but it doesn't look like it says Tikhon (in Russian).  it's a longer word.  and there's a word to the right of him.  I took pictures, and I will put them at the bottom here.  aswell as a full-icon picture, in case any of you can't see the letters, but have the icon.

Left: 

Right: 

full: 

and please ignore the TOTALLY WRONG dates at the bottom of the pictures.  thanks for any help you can offer!

The picture is not big enough for me to read to be sure, but it seems the left is "St. Tikhon" and the right "[the] Patriarch" (neither Slavonic nor Russian have a word for "the").
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
ialmisry is right (my eyesight must be slightly better than his  ;)). The left-hand inscription reads St Tikhon, the right-hand one reads Patriarch.

The "extra" letters are the hard sign, a silent letter which modifies the pronunciation of certain consonants, still used in Church Slavonic scripts, but no longer used in modern Cyrillic alphabets or modern Russian language.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Milica

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »

Left: 

Right: 

full: 

It's not quite clear... maybe you could take another picture? It looks like Patriarch, I'm not sure though.
Glory to Thee, O our God, glory to Thee!

O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.

O Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, by the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, and all the saints, have mercy upon us.