OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teacher sacked for wanting Advance Australia Fair at school  (Read 1619 times) Average Rating: 0
JHP17

OC.net

« on: December 04, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »

Teacher sacked for wanting Advance Australia Fair at school
Article from: The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, Australia)

By James O'Loan

December 05, 2008 07:45am

A SCHOOL has banned the national anthem at assemblies - and sacked the teacher who asked for it to be played.

Australian International Islamic College teacher Pravin Chand was sacked in November, four months after his proposal for students to sing Advance Australia Fair was ruled to be against the "Islamic view and ethos".

A memo sent to teachers at the Durack school, Brisbane, in July also said "the singing of the anthem will be put on hold".

The revelations follow an outcry on the Gold Coast this week at a plan by the same college to open another campus at Carrara. A vocal crowd draped in Australian flags accused the college of promoting segregation, anti-Australian values and even terrorism.

Muslim leaders slammed the protests as "un-Australian" and claimed religion should not be used as a reason to protest against a school.

School chairman Imam Abdul Quddoos Azhari yesterday denied the anthem ban and said students sang it "at every function".

But Mr Chand, whose version of events was backed by a second teacher, said he had not heard the anthem once this year.

"No national anthem to me means no integration with Australian kids," Mr Chand said. "Western values (at the school) are a no-no.

"It's like a paramilitary camp that place."

Mr Chand's employment was terminated by the college board last month on the grounds he was "not fitting into the school's ethos".

Outgoing principal Azroul Liza Khalid, who started at the school in July, said she had not heard the anthem once at assembly, although it was played two or three other times.

Ms Khalid said she was told by a board member not to play the anthem or any songs on Friday because it was a holy day. In July, school assembly day was moved from Monday to Friday.

A spokeswoman for Education Minister Rod Welford indicated it was unlikely a public school had banned the national anthem.

"It's not compulsory for schools to play the national anthem," she said. "There's an expectation it would be played on formal occasions when the Australian flag is being raised."

A Catholic education spokesman said: "I'm absolutely confident that no Catholic school has ever banned the playing of the national anthem and never will."

School trustee Keysar Trad and Imam Quddoos said they had not heard of the ban and supported the playing of the anthem at future assemblies.

The future of the proposed 60-student college at Carrara will be decided by Gold Coast City Council next year.

NULL
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »

I'm aware that y'all are somewhat embarrassed by your national anthem, and I understand too that, like ours, it plays a role primarily in formal diplomatic occasions but can be played at other times with proper solemnity. What I don't understand is how some feel the anthem is actually threatening or oppressive. Perhaps you could enlighten me, and the rest of us across the Pacific, as to the nature of the controversy from those who feel this way.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »

^Many Muslims regard the national anthems of countries that are non-Islamic to be automatically anti-Islam.  Many of them regard themselves as Muslim exclusively and forsake any kind of allegiance to the nation in which they live and have the freedom to worship as they please.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »

^ Well, okay, but I was really hoping for one of our Australians to respond.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:20:45 PM »

^why?  This sort of thing has happened with several Muslim schools no matter what western nation they live in, unfortunately.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »

^why?  This sort of thing has happened with several Muslim schools no matter what western nation they live in, unfortunately.

I think Mr. Y is asking his question because quite a few groups other than Muslims have a problem with the Australian national anthem.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »

I think Mr. Y is asking his question because quite a few groups other than Muslims have a problem with the Australian national anthem.

G'day mates. Not quite sure the problem is, I like the national anthem.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:51:28 PM »

Exactly. Though I've not really heard enough about the controversy to feel that I have a good grasp of it.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:08:04 PM »

Here's the text, for the sake of the discussion:

http://www.imagesaustralia.com/australiannationalanthem.htm

"Advance Australia Fair"
words and music composed by Peter Dodds McCormick
spacerproclaimed Australia's National Anthem by the Governor - General on 19th April 1984

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
 We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JHP17

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:56:48 PM »

i'm an aussie from an ethnic background and i can tell you that most other nationalities have no problem with the Australian anthem. i quite like it and i think it describes Australia well. but like Scamandrius stated "Many Muslims regard the national anthems of countries that are non-Islamic to be automatically anti-Islam" is unfortunately very true..............

there is an unofficial anthem that i really love (and no not Waltzing Matilda - which i personally hate!)
We are one but we are many
and from all the lands on earth we come etc................

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: