OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:38:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-marital sex  (Read 3171 times) Average Rating: 0
coolmk20x

I'm a llama!

« on: September 12, 2003, 07:38:38 PM »

Why is it that many have began believing that sex is outside of moral judgment? They see nothing wrong with premarital and/or extramarital sex. This greatly disturbs me. It is sadding for Jews and Christians (not so much seen amoung muslims). The scriptures clearly prohibit such acts of sexual immorality and the Catholic Church, along with some other churhes (I assume the orthodox Churches too), has clearly taught against it. Yet so many of the Judeo-Christian faith have come to believe that there is nothing wrong with it. For them, there is nothing wrong with oral and anal sex, another sick sexual acts. For them there is nothing wrong to have sex with groups or on a daily schedule with different people. This saddens me greatly. I felt very scandelized when I found out people I know, even people within my own family lead these immoral lifestyles. I remember that when that stupid movie 40 days and 40 nights was released, a journalist asked an unmarried couple coming out of a Catholic Church if they can go the entire season of Lent without sex. They thought about it and then said "hell no" or something of the sort. Is it just me or is there something really wrong today in our society? What purpose does religion serve if one refuses to follow its teachings? I pray that the Lord may enlighten these people into having more moral lives.

NULL
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 01:15:17 AM »

Why is it that many have began believing that sex is outside of moral judgment? They see nothing wrong with premarital and/or extramarital sex. This greatly disturbs me. It is sadding for Jews and Christians (not so much seen amoung muslims). The scriptures clearly prohibit such acts of sexual immorality and the Catholic Church, along with some other churhes (I assume the orthodox Churches too), has clearly taught against it. Yet so many of the Judeo-Christian faith have come to believe that there is nothing wrong with it. For them, there is nothing wrong with oral and anal sex, another sick sexual acts. For them there is nothing wrong to have sex with groups or on a daily schedule with different people. This saddens me greatly. I felt very scandelized when I found out people I know, even people within my own family lead these immoral lifestyles. I remember that when that stupid movie 40 days and 40 nights was released, a journalist asked an unmarried couple coming out of a Catholic Church if they can go the entire season of Lent without sex. They thought about it and then said "hell no" or something of the sort. Is it just me or is there something really wrong today in our society? What purpose does religion serve if one refuses to follow its teachings? I pray that the Lord may enlighten these people into having more moral lives.

This saddens me too. I have spoken quite about related issues in other threads. I won't rehash because there is no point to it.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 01:24:03 AM »

Ah, the gifts of rationalization.  We think that certain teachings or ideas are wonderful "in theory" but when one asks them to actually live according to those teachings, many of us give no heed to moral standards and consider it a problem for other people.  Then we go and blame it on the medievals.  

Sorry.  You can tell I've had this conversation one times too many.  No slight on you Coolmk20x, I'm glad you're here and posting this topic as it is something that needs to be drilled into all of our heads just as surely as St. John the Baptist drilled the concept of repentance into the Jews of the time.  

I hope you like the forums.  

After much pseudo pop-psychology I've nearly convinced myself that society's obsession with sex is a manifestation of our refusal to be who God created us to be and rather install ourselves in God's place by attempting to manufacture our own communion through the act of marital love outside of it's place.  Another form of idolatry.  Of course, I'm almost assuredly wrong.  Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 10:38:51 AM »

One of the problems with our sex obsessed culture is the system of spouse selection, aka dating

Dating, as a cultural earmark of the West, engenders this sort of behavior, even among Christians who may have at one time considered themselves devout.

Dating is only as old as the automobile. Before that, every young woman prior to marriage was closely supervised by an aunt or her mother.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 11:44:37 AM »

That's an interesting point about automobiles, culture. I used to listen to a Christian radio show host who compared "dating" to "test driving cars". If you don't like one, you can always test drive another. It's no big deal, it's just an attempt to "find the one that fits you". Suprise suprise when many people get divorced 3 years down the road because they are getting tired with their selection. On the other hand, what are youth to do if the parents won't take the initiative and help them with this?
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 01:12:14 PM »

The only advice my parents ever gave me about pre-marital sex was that I might get VD if I tried it.  That would never have been enough of a deterrent.

What kept me from having sex either before or outside of marriage is my passionate desire to love and serve God.

Dan Lauffer
Daniel AJ

Holy Prophet Daniel, pray unto God for us!

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 09:20:54 PM »

Perhaps pre-marital sex in higher now than it was years ago because people aren't getting married as young as they once did.  My great-grandmother was 15 when she married, so where several of my great-aunts.  Looking in the local newspaper at the wedding/engagement section, most are in their late 20's-mid-30's and are just getting engaged, or married.
This question poses an interesting sociological question.

Have a blessed Feastday!
Daniel
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 11:12:21 PM »

I am very glad I was able to date.  It helped me see the different ways that relationships form and develop.  It helped me pick a wife that is someone I can get along with, not someone my parents thought would be best and then I didn't end up even wanting to look at.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2003, 01:01:56 AM »

Well, it seems people always want something to blame for the perceived downward spiral whether it's "dating", "automobiles", Elvis, or taking prayer out of school.  People sometimes forget that in arranged marriages, the commitment to the legal agreement may be higher, but that doesn't mean people don't try to find love outside of their marriage.  Nothing is a panacea.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 01:57:20 AM »

...as opposed to others, who prefer to bury their head in the sand and pretend like everythings fine?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2003, 02:09:16 AM »

...as opposed to others, who prefer to bury their head in the sand and pretend like everythings fine?

So...what's your point?  What do you mean?
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 10:06:54 AM »

Has anyone here ever thought about the apparent discrepancy between the number of people in this country who, when asked by pollsters, express a belief in God and the actual level of sexual immorality in our society?

Many of the people polled refer to themselves as "born again" Christians.

What I wonder about is this: if most of us believe in God, and so many of us are "born again", then why do we behave so badly?

What do you all think?

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 11:27:14 AM »

What I wonder about is this: if most of us believe in God, and so many of us are "born again", then why do we behave so badly?

I've read something similar - many Americans claim to be born-again, but of these, many think Jesus committed sins, according to one poll.

Other than the obvious answer, 'sin', another explanation is ignorance.

Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 07:15:56 PM »

Growing up as a Roman Catholic, I do not remember much being taught on this subject either.  I attended Catholic education classes, but I mostly remember it was a preparation to receive the Sacraments.

Given that society is an advocate of this activity, it has to be parents and the Church educating the young on this topic.  It is a subject that needs to be openly discussed and condemned in the home and Church.  This goes along with many other similar topics.

A strong educational program is lacking in many churches from Protestant to Catholic to Orthodox.  As is involvement of parents in their children's lives.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 08:25:19 PM »

Right on Justinianus, the right educational programs will achieve much and provide a buffer against the arrows of immorality fired on our young by our culture. I'm a newbie in the music industry and from what I've seen, the industry has played a very prominent role in subverting morality not so much by the music released but by the video clips. The war needs to be staged not only in our classrooms but within our corporations.
By the way there's an apologist on Catholic Answers, Jason Evert,  whose works on this topic are indispensable. His latest book, "If You Really Loved Me" is very convincing. I too was never taught anything on this subject from a Catholic point of view. It's a good thing we've got the internet!

Regards,

Byz
Tags: sin fornication 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: