OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 05:02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday after Nativity... On a Monday?  (Read 362 times) Average Rating: 0
stewie

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: December 26, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »

Perhaps this is a silly question but I'm just wondering why the celebration of the Sunday after Nativity is apparently falling on today, Monday the 26th. Shouldnt it be next week, on Jan. 1?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »

misread op.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:11:55 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »

According to goarch.org, it states, "On the Sunday that falls on or immediately after the twenty-sixth of this month, we make commemoration of Saints Joseph, the Betrothed of the Virgin; David, the Prophet and King; and James, the Brother of God. When there is no Sunday within this period, we celebrate this commemoration on the 26th."

I'm just hazarding a guess, but it may be because this year the Sunday after the Nativity also happens to be the Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord Jesus Christ and St. Basil's Day (Jan 1), and that may supersede the celebration of the aforementioned saints, so they get pushed back to Dec. 26th.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »

Yes, when Nativity falls on the Commemoration SS Joseph, David, and James is combined with the Synaxis of the Mother of God on 12/26, since these two feasts are Doxology rank and the Feast of the Circumsion/St Basil is Vigil rank.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »

Ditto for ACROD's calendar (they give you two options, old and new...) Here is their link to the NC for today:
http://www.acrod.org/index?acrod_pc_cal=new&date=12/26/2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »

Another reason to consider is that the Feast of the Nativity is only seven days long, thus ending on December 31. If a Sunday falls during that week (other than on Dec. 25, as happened this year), then we celebrate the Sunday after Nativity on that Sunday. Otherwise, we celebrate the "Sunday" after Nativity the next day (Monday). Januray 1 is, among other things, the beginning of the Prefeast of Theophany.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: