Author Topic: Catholic Church Music  (Read 13758 times)

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
Re: Catholic Church Music
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2016, 01:15:09 AM »
Bad Church music is one of the reasons I often find myself attending the local Byzantine Catholic Church.

But even bad hymns that is sung from the heart is genuine and worthy of God's attention.
I am Orthodox and even we have some sour notes now and then but we show our prayers in the form of singing and I know that God is listening.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Here is a question for the Orthodox posters:

If you could take one hymn or chant from the treasury of Latin Catholic sacred music and use it in the Divine Liturgy at your church ... which one would it be?

As a former RC I always loved the 'Pange Lingua' , also 'Holy God we praise Thy Name' sung during Benediction.  I wonder if they still celebrate Benediction? Its a beautiful Service.
Yes, Benediction usually marks the end of a Holy Hour when parishes do that.

I wouldn't mix rites, but the Sequences from the Roman Rite for Easter, Pentecost (Veni Creator Spiritus), Requiem Mass (Dies Irae) and the Stabat Mater which I forgot which Mass it is for, are quite impressive.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2016, 11:29:44 PM »
Probably the best Catholic Hymnal today is the Adoremus Hymnal.

I prefer this one ;)
You have won the thread  :D
All they had to do was translate that and adapt the melodies! Preferably in the Old Roman style with the restored isons...
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 07:02:39 AM »

If you could take one hymn or chant from the treasury of Latin Catholic sacred music and use it in the Divine Liturgy at your church ... which one would it be?

As a former RC I always loved the 'Pange Lingua' , also 'Holy God we praise Thy Name' sung during Benediction.  I wonder if they still celebrate Benediction? Its a beautiful Service.

I wouldn't mix rites, but the Sequences from the Roman Rite for Easter, Pentecost (Veni Creator Spiritus), Requiem Mass (Dies Irae) and the Stabat Mater which I forgot which Mass it is for, are quite impressive.
Stabat Mater is usually sung at Stations of the Cross, a verse after each station.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
Bad Church music is one of the reasons I often find myself attending the local Byzantine Catholic Church.

But even bad hymns that is sung from the heart is genuine and worthy of God's attention.
I am Orthodox and even we have some sour notes now and then but we show our prayers in the form of singing and I know that God is listening.
Here's a fun 1970s hymn still sung in Roman Churches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kI7dy2W9oc&spfreload=5
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »
Do RC parishes still sing Mozart's Requiem?

(link removed - LS)

Because I like it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:57:16 PM by LizaSymonenko »
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »

(link removed - LS)

Because I like it.

It's a Pony Kind of Christmas: We Wish You a Merry Christmas ??? Quite different from the Requiem.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:57:47 PM by LizaSymonenko »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »
Oh shoot! Wrong video! Sorry. LOL

Mozart's Requiem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlhKP0nZII

Dominika, can you please delete my last post?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:40:31 PM by byhisgrace »

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »

Stabat Mater is the sequence for September 15, the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the BVM. It was suppressed after Trent but restored shortly thereafter. There used to be a second feast of the Seven Sorrows on the Friday before Holy Week; I'm not sure if the sequence was used then as well.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »

Mozart's Requiem:

I'm not able to do it, you have to PM the moderator of this section or the global one.

Stabat Mater is the sequence for September 15, the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the BVM. It was suppressed after Trent but restored shortly thereafter. There used to be a second feast of the Seven Sorrows on the Friday before Holy Week; I'm not sure if the sequence was used then as well.

I thought Stabat Mater is the sequence of the Holy Friday? It's still done here on this day, but usually not before the Gospel.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »

(Link removed - LS)

Because I like it.

Amazing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:58:38 PM by LizaSymonenko »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »
I've liked everything I've heard from the San Antonio Vocal Arts Ensemble, personally.

Seasonally: La Noche Buena
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2016, 07:52:21 AM »

Mozart's Requiem:

I'm not able to do it, you have to PM the moderator of this section or the global one.

I thought Stabat Mater is the sequence of the Holy Friday? It's still done here on this day, but usually not before the Gospel.

It is used devotionally that day in many places, but not prescribed by the rubrics. In that case it isn't really a sequence, but just a hymn. The only days with a sequence are Easter, Pentecost, Corpus Christi, and the Seven Sorrows. In the traditional rite, All Souls and the Requiem Masses have Dies Irae, but that was removed in the Novus Ordo. The 2002 edition of the Missal for some reason moved the place of the sequence from immediately before the Gospel to before the Alleluia; they are also only mandatory in the Novus Ordo on Easter and Pentecost.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
Hi Tina,

This book is an excellent read. It has become a classic, the definitive book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Catholics-Cant-Sing-Catholicism/dp/0824511530

I have this book somewhere. A Catholic friend gave it to me a while ago. I need to find it.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »

Mozart's Requiem:

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 06:03:09 AM »

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »
Probably the best Catholic Hymnal today is the Adoremus Hymnal.

I prefer this one ;)
You have won the thread  :D

Yes! Only took 8 years this time.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 10:21:23 PM »

Mozart's Requiem:

*Picture snipped*
Seriously, does Mozart's Requiem play in any Latin mass, whether contemporary or traditional?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »

Mozart's Requiem:

*Picture snipped*
Seriously, does Mozart's Requiem play in any Latin mass, whether contemporary or traditional?

I think yes, at least at some funerals of important people.

Offline Cidalia73

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2016, 07:59:04 AM »
Reminds me of the irritation I felt upon hearing the opening song at the Mass for my daughter's confirmation: One Love, by Bob Marley.  >:(

My fellow friends didn't understand why I was upset about it.  Clearly they don't understand the importance and solemnity of Mass.  At least, how it should be.  They are products of modernism.

This Sunday, I will be attending an Orthodox Liturgy (moving towards converting).  At least my ears won't be assaulted with pop music during a reverent occasion.

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »

Mozart's Requiem:

*Picture snipped*

Well, for the All Souls Day mass at National Cathedral they used the Durufle requiem. Oh wait-- they're Episcopalians, so no problems with having good music. :P

Offline jwinch2

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »
Well, for the All Souls Day mass at National Cathedral they used the Durufle requiem. Oh wait-- they're Episcopalians, so no problems with having good music. :P

Funny, and not entirely untrue either. 
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/unformat.gif
Thankfully, I go to an Ordinariate Parish so I get great music all the time.  It definitely was not that way at previous parishes.

Of course, traditional Roman Catholics have beautiful music as well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjNevd2gXs  The linked is from the Benedictine Congregation of Solesmes, which has my favorite take on Gregorian Chant. 

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/unformat.gif
Thankfully, I go to an Ordinariate Parish so I get great music all the time.

ex-Episcopalians? Cheating.

Offline jwinch2

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2016, 10:25:19 PM »

Thankfully, I go to an Ordinariate Parish so I get great music all the time.

ex-Episcopalians? Cheating.

I think you mean "winning".  And they have been Catholic for over 30 years now.  The irony is that one of the few places in the Archdiocese where one does not find the Cramner table is in the parish which founded the Anglican Use in the Catholic Church.    ;D

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »
Polish Roman Catholic hymn Krzyżu Chrystusa (Oh Cross of Christ) in various settings:
By national choir "Mazowsze"

By a choir from Kalisz

In Belarussian

Polish Roman Catholic hymn Krzyżu Święty (Oh Holy Cross) that's based on Latin hymn Pange, lingua gloriosi proelum certaminis
Contemporary chant

Old chant

In Belarussian

And the hymn above in Spanish
Arr. Antonio Alcalde

Arr. Francisco, Tomás Aragüés

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:18:31 PM by Dominika »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
There is one hymn called "Gather Us In" that is popular for the Processional. One line in it says "give us the courage to enter the song" -- how smart to pray for courage to belt out this drivel.

Gather Us In (Latin)
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Gather Us In (Latin)

Somehow I don't think this is what traditional RCs mean when they say "Bring back the Latin!" :D

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox....kind of
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen, but OCA
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
Honestly, I have the fondest memories of some Catholic hymns, like "Gentle Woman," "Stabat Mater," and "Though the Mountains May Fall."

Although I do have a preference for the Latin high mass if we are talking Roman Catholic liturgy, I still have a fondness for these Novus Ordo songs which can be moving in English.

However, out of all the Roman hymns which I have heard throughout my whole life  - my personal favorite is still the Gregorian Kyrie Eleison in Roman Catholic liturgy.

Here is one rendition of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXWqvgQPDrw
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:36:13 PM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
I think the chants at the Requiem Mass and the Office of the Dead are my favorites in the Gregorian repertoire. My favorite of all is the antiphon Ego Sum Resurrectio et Vita ("I am the Resurrection and Life"), sung with the Canticle of Zechariah at Lauds of the Dead and by the priest at the graveside.

Also, In Paradisum.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »
I think the chants at the Requiem Mass and the Office of the Dead are my favorites in the Gregorian repertoire. My favorite of all is the antiphon Ego Sum Resurrectio et Vita ("I am the Resurrection and Life"), sung with the Canticle of Zechariah at Lauds of the Dead and by the priest at the graveside.

Oh, I wasn't aware it's orignally Gregorian chant! I hear it every year in Polish at the ecumenical (Orthodox and Roman Catholic) procession on the cemetery belonging to my parish. In Polish (however, I hear it chanted by better cantors) sounds it in such way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyQjL3z2kc

Your link doesn't work for me, but I've found this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvOidZcaGh0
Paschal alleluia with the hymn we're talking about. What a coincidence - today is the 1st anniversary of the funeral of fr. Zbigniew that I liked so much but I couldn't be because of the interview with the Antiochian patriarch.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2017, 11:27:44 PM »
See #4 of the Five Ways to Ruin the Mass, which can be summarized in two words: We Gather.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »

We have all of it in the Western Rite.

I wish the Western Rites would make more use of O Gladsome Light and integrate Ho Monoges into the liturgy, perhaps after the Credo, as a bulwark against Christological error.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2017, 11:45:14 PM »

I wish the Western Rites would make more use of O Gladsome Light and integrate Ho Monoges into the liturgy, perhaps after the Credo, as a bulwark against Christological error.

It's probably better overall for the Western Rites to maintain their integrity and minimize Byzantinizations. Dropping references to the Filioque is one thing, but altering the structure of the Western services seems unnecessary.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »

It's probably better overall for the Western Rites to maintain their integrity and minimize Byzantinizations. Dropping references to the Filioque is one thing, but altering the structure of the Western services seems unnecessary.
+1

Except some tropariosn that have been used in the West, like of the Nativity of the Theotokos or Pascha.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »

I can list a couple:

Te Deum
Salve Regina
Caedmon's hymn
Tota pulchra es
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 11:20:44 PM »

+1

Except some tropariosn that have been used in the West, like of the Nativity of the Theotokos or Pascha.

Yes, but most of those were taken into the Western rites in the first millennium – I figure they're pretty "naturalized" by now!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel