OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:22:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sept 11th - 2 years  (Read 1298 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: September 11, 2003, 10:56:32 PM »

Kinda bums me that no-one mentioned the 2 year anniversary of what happened.

Prayers to all the people who lost loved ones, along with prayers for the people who perished, but also prayers for our country and leaders in this trying time.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 11:59:18 PM »

As I understand it, the only building completely destroyed, other than the WTC buildings themselves, was a little Greek Orthodox Church.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 11:07:06 AM »

Must mean Orthodoxy is the true faith after all.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 12:27:00 PM »

Seems that we are being told to repent of our sins (e.g., abortion, sexual perversion, political apathy as others are innocently murdered, etc.), when even the true Church of God is destroyed.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 10:30:20 PM »

Seems that we are being told to repent of our sins (e.g., abortion, sexual perversion, political apathy as others are innocently murdered, etc.), when even the true Church of God is destroyed.

That's not the message I got out of it, although you could be right.

What I see is that an attack inspired by Satan included an Orthodox Church but without making that appear to be the main target. Snuff out the Christian Church but not so she takes center stage or garners sympathetic consideration.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 11:40:11 AM »

Linus... I guess... well here's the problem I'm having. First, I see nothing wrong with the "coming together" it caused. That's great! I was very happy to see people really trying to "do something" (give blood, support firemen, etc.). I was also very sad that it happened, and watching the events even two years later (on the various tv specials) is certainly enough to tear up even the toughest of people. (those people jumping from the buildings is one of the most sobering, sad things I think I've ever seen).

However, the problem I'm having is that in all of Christian history, when disaster struck, people saw it as a result of their sin. This isn't just some naive superstition either, unless we are going to call just about all the saints for thousands of years trapped in superstition. When Judith rose up in Israel, when Constantinople was about to fall, even when Russia was bathed in blood in the 20th century, in all these cases there was to some extent "fighting back," but there was also an acknowledgement that it was because of sin that the disaster had fallen on them. And there was also the acknowledgement things wouldn't get better until repentance. This type of "bringing to repentance" didn't fall away with the physical Israel, but still exists today. Unfortunately, people seem to want to now spiritualize God's Israel as though worldly persecutions can't effect her (and her sins won't bring wordly effects). and (Americans) also for some strange reason think that America is immune to such things. As though America is holier than Israel, Byzantium, or Russia. Why, for example, is no one saying of America what Saint John of San Francisco said of Russia?

Thus, the catastrophe which has come upon Russia is the direct consequence of terrible sins, and the rebirth of Russia is possible only after cleansing from them. However, up to this time there has been no genuine repentance, the crimes that have been performed have clearly not been condemned, and many active participants in the Revolution continue even now to affirm that at that time it was not possible to act in any other way. - The Meaning of the Russian Diaspora

May we always remember those who died in those terror attacks on that day! But I hope we can also remember to repent of our sins, in between going after terrorists and attacking tyrants (all of which I support). The latter will have no effect if we do not do the former (repent).
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »

Well, we could all stand to repent, and no doubt some disasters are meant to chastise us.

But many disasters are hatched in the minds of evil men at the instigation of the Evil One.

Was St. Stephen being chastised for his sins when a Jewish mob stoned him to death?

How about the many other martyrs who have given their lives for Christ? Are we to look for evidence that they were being punished by God?

What sin are we to look for in the little Greek Orthodox Church that was destroyed by the followers of the False Prophet on September 11, 2001?

I am a sinner and I must live a life of repentance.

But I believe that little Greek Church perished at the hands of evil-doers inspired by the Evil One and that God is NOT happy about it.

May He soon eradicate the false religion of Islam from the face of the earth and deliver those in its clutches.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 08:21:32 PM »

It was too bad that the little Greek church was destroyed when the towers fell on it.  Mercifully the one person inside was able to escape.

At least St. Pauls Chapel (Episcopal) across the street was spared unscathed except for 6 inches of ash, since it served as a place of respite and rest for the workers for months as the ruins were cleared away.  

I have a hard time writing about that day at all.  A brother in law was fortunate to survive the Pentagon attack as the plane went under his floor on one of the inner rings.  He escaped in the dark and smoke leaving his wallet and keys on his desk.  We didn't know for a couple of hours if he was alive.  The brother of a member of my Science Fiction Club was not so fortunate.  He was on the plane.  The weather last thursday was much the same as it was 2 years ago.  I still remember the silence as I walked the children home from school and tried to explain why they were let out. Sad   May they all Rest in Peace....especially the children who died due to this Evil.
 :'(

Ebor
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 08:24:23 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: