OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 07:37:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple Save First Kiss For Marriage  (Read 7151 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: December 01, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »

Won't kiss on the first date? How about waiting until marriage?

Chicagoans Melody LaLuz, 28, and Claudaniel Fabien, 30, shared their first kiss Saturday at the altar.

The two teach abstinence at the city's public schools and practiced what they preached to their teenage students...

To read the rest of the story go to: Couple Save First Kiss For Marriage

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:05:36 PM »

I updated the tags with "First Kiss Marriage," which links to another similar story, and an entire thread on Kissing/Abstinence.

... not to deter people from posting here, of course.

I don't see anything wrong with what they did (i.e. waiting).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »

Good for them!

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »

I think it's a little weird. Noble in it's own way... but weird.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »

What do you expect with a name like 'Claudaniel Fabien'...oh well, to each their own.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »

I don't believe everything I read in the "weird" section of British Tabloids.   angel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »

Fwiw, I read about this one in my local (Pittsburgh) paper as well. Though it's true that not every story that we read in any paper is necessarily true.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:20 AM »

The whole thing just seems creepy to me.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:41:18 PM »

The whole thing just seems creepy to me.

Now you've caught my attention.  What do you mean by "creepy"?

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »

I guess it's all relative to what your used to. In my former church kissing before marriage would have been considered creepy!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 03:51:33 AM »

I guess it's all relative to what your used to. In my former church kissing before marriage would have been considered creepy!

Where did you go to church?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:07:27 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 10:44:34 AM »

I work in the Chicago Public School system, where the "they're going to do it anyway" is rampant, and suggesting otherwise seen as "creepy."  At the school of a colleague (at a different school) and fellow parishoner, Planned Parenthood and some other ilk passed out sex brochures to the kids as they left school.  My friend was just going to be married, he told his class how he didn't agree with the brochures on "just do it," and that when he got married the next month it would be his first sexual experience (he since has 4 children, and his wife one time was talking about how she enjoys sex (in the context of the discussion, it was appropriate), so it wasn't his last).  He figured he would get a response, and he did, just not the one he expected: a great number of the parents contacted him and told him the impression that he had made, and the parents approval and gratitude for him speaking up.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 02:38:01 PM »

Calm down.  If you can believe it, I actually was a virgin until my marriage at 24.  And this was under Protestant (gasp!) guidance.  I have actually only ever kissed my wife.  We dated for some 5 years before our marriage, but for me to not have kissed, held hands, et cetera just seems creepy to me.

We did not live together or have sexual relations before we were married because of our spiritual convictions.  Despite the chastity of my youth and my convictions about human sexuality, I still manage to find this "not even holding hands" mentality as totally creepy.
Tags: Abstinence First Kiss Marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: