OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:42:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Display of Great Festal Icons  (Read 907 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: December 01, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »

With the Nativity season upon us, I was considering getting an icon of the nativity to display at this time of the year.  Then I got to thinking, and it seems like a fun idea to gradually purchase icons for all of the Great Feasts to display in my home.  But here's the real question:

If one is displaying a festal icon in their home, is it appropriate to display the icon before or after the celebration of the feast?  I'm afraid that I am not quite sure if the icon should be displayed in anticipation of the upcoming feast, or if it is more appropriate to display that icon on and after the feast, as that would actually be "in the season" of that feast.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »

I suppose for home use the rubrics governing parish practice really don't apply.  For instance, I have an icon of the Ascension that takes a rather prominent place in my living room throughout the year.  But for display as the centerpiece of your icon display for the season of the feast, just remember that we don't celebrate the Nativity until THE DAY OF the feast and for seven days afterward.  My personal preference, FWIW, is to not display a festal icon as the centerpiece of my icon wall any earlier than the day of the feast itself.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »

Don't feel obligated to follow church practices with your devotions at home.  Unlike PTA, I have, in place of my Theotokos icon, the Nativity Icon.  During the Paschal season, I replace my Christ icon with that of the Resurrection.  I do that to "get into the season."  Do whatever works for you and enhances your own prayer life.  But there is no rubric governing how you should display icons in your own home.  So don't worry about it too much.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »

We don't have alot of feastal icons, just three: Wedding of Cana, Last Supper and Presentation of Christ in the Temple (St. Simeon and Prophetess Anna). The rest are of Christ, Theotokos and other saints.

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »

With the Nativity season upon us, I was considering getting an icon of the nativity to display at this time of the year.  Then I got to thinking, and it seems like a fun idea to gradually purchase icons for all of the Great Feasts to display in my home.  But here's the real question:

If one is displaying a festal icon in their home, is it appropriate to display the icon before or after the celebration of the feast?  I'm afraid that I am not quite sure if the icon should be displayed in anticipation of the upcoming feast, or if it is more appropriate to display that icon on and after the feast, as that would actually be "in the season" of that feast.

When displaying festal icons in your home, do what moves you the most.  In the Church the festal icon comes out during the celebration of the Feast, and not before, so in that context the practice is set.  However, in the comfort of your house, do whatever will lead you to greater understanding and prayer.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: icons icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: