OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 03:09:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenian Liturgy  (Read 1122 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« on: November 30, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

Quick question.  Is the Armenian liturgy attributed to having been written by any particular saint?  And if so, whom?

Thanks in advance.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:21:03 AM »

I've been told it's mostly attributed to St. John Chrysostom, with some of St. Basil's liturgy mixed in.  It also has things added to it from the Catholic liturgy, borrowed during the Crusades.  This has been discussed somewhat in threads in the OO forum.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:23:13 AM »

Most recently it was mentioned here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,18486.msg271299.html#msg271299

Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:30:15 AM »

Thanks.  And thanks for the link.  Smiley
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »

I've been told it's mostly attributed to St. John Chrysostom, with some of St. Basil's liturgy mixed in.  It also has things added to it from the Catholic liturgy, borrowed during the Crusades.  This has been discussed somewhat in threads in the OO forum.

Given the substantial borrowing from the Byzantine and Latin traditions, to what extent is it possible to know what the "pure" Armenian liturgical tradition would have looked like? The blurb for Abraham Terian's book mentions East Syrian influences.

Would the Armenian rite traditionally have looked more like that of the Assyrian Church of the East?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:00:19 PM »

I think the Assyrians use the liturgy of Mar Addai and Mar Mari, which is very ancient.  I don't think the Armenians ever used that one. 

Being "next door" to the Syriac peoples, though, the Armenians did in ancient times develop some of the same customs and local traditions.  For example, the unusual shape of our altars is similar to that of the Syriac Orthodox and I think Assyrian altars.  Why our altars are shaped like that is lost in the mists of time, as the shape is very ancient.  However, I've only noticed it among the Armenian, Syriac, Assyrian and Indian Churches.  Also, Armenian and Syriac Christians don't have iconostases, and, although we have icons, we tend to use less of them than the Copts or EO's.  Assyrians don't use them at all.

The article by Terian is about a fourth century correspondence between the son of St. Gregory the Illuminator and the patriarch of Jerusalem at that time.  The correspondence is important to scholars, I think because it documents the fact that the Armenians looked to Jerusalem for guidance in a lot of matters.  Evidently there are things, such as our calendar, lectionary and rites, which preserve aspects of the Jerusalem rite which would otherwise be lost.  Some scholars will study the Armenian calendar, etc. to know what the Jerusalem calendar was like way back when.  At least that is how I understand it:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16853.0.html

Tags: Armenian Church ancient liturgies 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: