OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:58:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Orthodox Patriarchate of Rome, when?  (Read 1945 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: November 28, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »

Dear Friends

There are three scenarios that could lead to the restoration of an Orthodox Patriarchate of Rome:

1. The Mass Conversion
A conversion on the part of a Roman Pope and the majority of his curia and his cardinals to Orthodoxy, that would cause the Orthodox Patriarchates to recognize him as primus inter pares and respect the Western character of the Roman Church in the West, if certain conditions are met (the integration of Eastern Catholics with Orthodox jurisdictions).

2. The Restoration of a Roman Patriarchate
A Pan-Orthodox Synod condemns Roman Catholicism as heretical and agrees to restore the ancient Roman Patriarchate in Orthodoxy. The Pope elected would lead the Orthodox community in Italy and will attract Orthodox communities from the West. The new Orthodox Pope would become the rival of the Roman Catholic one and might receive Traditional Latin Catholics into his Patriarchate.

3. The Restoration of Communion
After years of religious dialogue, major agreement is reached on most issues. The Orthodox Church would recognize the primacy of the pope while he would rennounce his infalibilty. Eastern Catholic Churches would rejoin their Orthodox counterparts while full communion would exist between Catholics and Orthodox.

Which of the three different scenarios appear more posible according to the different opinions?

I know that when the Alexandrian and Antiochian Patriarchates fell into heresy, Orthodox Patriarchs were elected. Then, was it "technically" possible for Orthodoxy to elect a Patriarch for Rome?

Thanks

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »

I know that when the Alexandrian and Antiochian Patriarchates fell into heresy, Orthodox Patriarchs were elected.
I think that's a different scenario all together. In both cases there was a dispute and division among the members of the Patriarchates which led, sadly to schism.Appointing an Patriarch in Communion with Constantinople was done to serve those who wished to remain in Communion with Constantinople. This is not the same case here. Although there are schisms and potential schisms among the Roman Catholics, none of the groups are in schism particularly to be n Communion with Orthodoxy, so in my view, it would be terribly wrong to appoint an Orthodox Patriarch of Rome.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 06:57:54 PM »

#2 might have worked 900 years ago (Before the Crusaders sacked Constantinople)

There is already an Orthodox Metropolitan for Italy under the EP, based in Venice.

Background on the Archdiocese of Italy and Malta
Tags: Orthodox  patriarchate  rome  restoration 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: