OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:27:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commentary on "Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down"  (Read 2612 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: November 28, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »

On the Prayer Forum, SolEX01 posted this link to a news article on Yahoo news:
Story from AP

I've been seeing a lot of talk here about how this incident is a tragic display of the greed and materialism run amok both at Wal-Mart and as a more general part of the consumerism of the Xmas shopping season.  So what are your thoughts?
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »

It is a sad commentary on how important material things are.  I never go shopping on the weekend after Thanksgiving, not even for groceries, because people seeking the "best deals" are rude, pushy and obnoxious.  That the need/desire to save a few extra dollars has led to injury and death is sad, but not surprising to me at all.

I hope that whatever those people wanted to buy and the money they saved was worth that man's life.

God have mercy!

Carole
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »

I don't understand how people can act like that. When I read in a news story words like "broke down the doors" and "leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion" I don't know what to think. Except to say, again, how can people act like that? "Witnesses said that even as the worker lay on the ground, shoppers streamed into the store, stepping over him." Again! What is with people? I'm not free from a materialistic streak, with mine being towards books and the like. But to act like these people did...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »

From the article:

Shoppers around the country line up early outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it has historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year.

Funny, I thought this day was called Black Friday for other reasons, some of which were sadly put on display today.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »

Asteriktos, I know! I was ashamed when I read that! The Walmart worker who described these people as "savages" was right, because they put materials over the welfare of a human being. Cry

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »

Matthew 24:12

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »

Lord, have mercy on that poor shop assistant and his family. Just imagine a loved one going to work in the morning; to a job that should be without risk, and then one learns that he has been killed by a barbaric hoard of shoppers!!

And that's such an appropriate verse, George.

I was shocked to read that a heavily pregnant woman had made herself and her unborn child vulnerable by placing herself in this melee. But I don't need to ask what is wrong with people, I know we are a very strange bunch. I always steer clear of this kind of frenetic sale. I'm of the opinion, that if I can't afford to buy something in a calm and civilised setting, I simply don't need it. Which is probably a lot of the time, anyway Sad Lord, have mercy!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:54:41 AM »

Well, someone already beat me to the punch about the 2 men killing each other in a SoCal Toys'R'Us.  Desperate times are bringing out the worst in people especially during the holidays.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 04:15:34 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:41:37 AM »

Yep, I almost got run over in a crosswalk--I was there legally and had the right of way--because someone wanted to make a left turn so badly he passed the driver in front of him, who was waiting for me to cross the street.  This during the holiday shopping season. Tongue
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »

This is indeed a tragedy but this is only par for the course.  Here is other footage about a horde of people scrambling and fighting to get the last X-Box 360 console. It's a mad, mad world!

http://www.wavw.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=244038&article=4651903

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »

Well, someone already beat me to the punch about the 2 men killing each other in a SoCal Toys'R'Us.  Desperate times are bringing out the worst in people especially during the holidays.

To me, the reports on the shooting in California don't sound like they were shopping related.  I think if those four people had met up at a grocery store or a bank or a public library the outcome would have been the same.  I wonder if it isn't gang related.  Not that that makes it any better, of course.

Carole
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »

This is indeed a tragedy but this is only par for the course.  Here is other footage about a horde of people scrambling and fighting to get the last X-Box 360 console. It's a mad, mad world!

http://www.wavw.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=244038&article=4651903
What would really be funny is if the last X-Box 360 console got broken beyond repair as a result of the fight.  "Heh, heh!  Ain't NONE of you gettin' it!" laugh
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:24:42 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 08:30:45 PM »

What would really be funny is if the last X-Box 360 console got broken beyond repair as a result of the fight.  "Heh, heh!  Ain't NONE of you gettin' it!" laugh

Well, there is a one in four chance that XBOX will fail anyhow.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 11:19:53 PM »

I wonder if the man who was trampled was the breadwinner for his family... Angry

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 11:36:29 PM »

Terrible. A poor guy lost his life because of someone else's greed.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 07:11:45 AM »

To me, the reports on the shooting in California don't sound like they were shopping related.  I think if those four people had met up at a grocery store or a bank or a public library the outcome would have been the same.  I wonder if it isn't gang related.  Not that that makes it any better, of course.
That was my take on it, too. What really amazes me, though, is that even after the shooting, there were people still trying to buy things rather than fleeing for safety. I've never been to a Black Friday, but from what I've heard, it seems everyone loses their minds. My mother-in-law went to Walmart last Friday at opening, and she said she'll never go out on Black Friday again.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 08:57:55 AM »

Terrible. A poor guy lost his life because of someone else's greed.

Jesus did the same

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »

Lawyer: Family of Trampled Worker Sues Wal-Mart Over Death

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:08 PM »

Good. They should.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 11:34:59 PM »

Jesus did the same

Yes. You are so right.

Exactly! They have all reasons to win.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:35:51 PM by Starlight » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 11:10:54 AM »

I somehow doubt the Walmart haters will be on the jury.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »

Jurors aren't supposed to be WalMart haters or Walmart lovers. They,re supposed to consider the evidence presented and base thier verdict on that, not thier feelings for Wal Mart.

Proverbs 22:7
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »

Jurors aren't supposed to be WalMart haters or Walmart lovers. They,re supposed to consider the evidence presented and base thier verdict on that, not thier feelings for Wal Mart.

Apparently you are unaware that Walmart-bashing is sport here.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: