OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:52:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Orthodoxy  (Read 1440 times) Average Rating: 0
Horangi

OrthodoxChristianity.net

« on: September 10, 2003, 07:36:26 PM »

To Life Immortal

Hello. This is my first post.

I am a convert to Greek Orthodoxy. I live in a very large city with a good sized Greek neighbourhood. During my search for the Eternal, I read about Orthodoxy and liked what I read.

It took a LOOOOOOONG time for me to visit an Orthodox Church because (A) it was not close to me, I had to FIND one first. (B) I don't speak Greek. I know hello goodbye yes no thankyou and (C) I'm a young single Black female.

Finally I went to St George's Cathedral near the hospital. It was TOTALLY AWESOME! The icons and iconostasis were heavenly. I totally liked the place. People were friendly and I wasn't feeling like I was the only one there. I got baptised and chrismated there a while back.

Today I'm still learning about Orthodoxy. I can read enough Greek to follow along in the service books and I'm SLOOOOOOOWLY learning another language. Thank God for the net; there are Greek language lessons online and there are places where you may hear the Divine Liturgy in English, Greek or Russian over RealPlayer.

I guess what attracted me to Orthodoxy was the beautiful symbolism and the fact that we're the original church. After nearly 25 years of searching for spiritual meaning, I'm finally home.

Peace and Long Life

Xara Eleni R. Pascha  Cool
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 07:44:49 PM by Horangi » Logged

Finally, brothers, whatever is true,
whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent
or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:8 NIV
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 08:02:26 PM »

Horangi,
Welcome home! And congratulations! I am sure the Lord has blessed us with your finding His Church.
And a Greek parish Smiley I'm impressed. You'll find having live Greeks around with whom to converse will be a great aid to learning the language.
You will also discover as you study the great contributions of Africans to His Holy Orthodox Church.
Best wishes,
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 09:25:48 PM »

Welcome!

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 10:43:28 PM »

Outstanding!

Great first post; may you contribute many subsequent posts!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 08:50:34 AM »

Congratulations Horangi!
I too am converting to Orthodoxy, from Roman Catholicism; but i can't handle learning another language...three's enough for me. Good luck with the Greek!

Byzantino
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: