OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 05:59:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Look Towards the East" - A Patristic Symposium  (Read 864 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: June 19, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »

"Look Towards the East" - A Patristic Symposium Engaging with the Early Church Fathers in the Contemporary World

With the blessing of His Holiness Pope Tawadros II, St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church of Washington, DC in partnership with St. Cyril of Alexandria Orthodox Christian Society is pleased to announce its first Patristic Symposium entitled "Look Towards the East". The Symposium will focus on the Orthodox frame of mind in addressing contemporary challenges through the eyes of the Early Church Fathers. Lectures will be delivered by a diverse group of theologians followed by an open panel discussion. It will take place from Sept. 5-7 at St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church.

http://www.stmarkdc.org/symposium

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »

Looks fantastic! (But super-expensive!)

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »

That's a shame it's too expensive. I posted it with you in mind.

BTW George Bebawi has a series on the banning Protestant Hymns in the Orthodox Church. Unfortunately they're in Arabic. Maybe someone can convince him to translate it.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »

BTW George Bebawi has a series on the banning Protestant Hymns in the Orthodox Church. Unfortunately they're in Arabic. Maybe someone can convince him to translate it.
Omg please!  Can you provide us with the Arabic link at least? 

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »

The first article is translated. I'll proof read it and post it once the translator finishes the other two.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:20:12 AM by Jonathan » Logged
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »

About the decision to ban Protestant hymns - Part 1
http://www.coptology.com/?p=4046

About the decision to ban Protestant hymns - Part 2
http://www.coptology.com/?p=4054

About the decision to ban Protestant hymns - Part 3
http://www.coptology.com/?p=4058

Thanks for translating them, Jonathan!

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »

About the decision to ban Protestant hymns - Part 1
http://www.coptology.com/?p=4046

About the decision to ban Protestant hymns - Part 2
http://www.coptology.com/?p=4054

About the decision to ban Protestant hymns - Part 3
http://www.coptology.com/?p=4058

Thanks for translating them, Jonathan!

I'm not translating. Just proofing and posting for the translator Smiley
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:25 AM »

Competent English speaking proof readers, what a novel concept for our Church  Smiley

Thank you still, very much looking forward to reading them.

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 09:24:28 AM »

Competent English speaking proof readers, what a novel concept for our Church  Smiley

Yes!!! For some reason!?! He keeps forgetting the "?!?" And I have to constantly remind him!!!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »

The first article is translated. I'll proof read it and post it once the translator finishes the other two.

thank you Smiley

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »

Don't worry, I'm going, even if I have to eat Oodles of Noodles and peanut butter & jelly for the rest of the summer.

BTW George Bebawi has a series on the banning Protestant Hymns in the Orthodox Church.

Be still my heart!

(But we have to stop ascribing a dignity to Protestant pop songs that they don't deserve by calling them "hymns", as if they are equal to the hymns of the Orthodox Church or even of classical Western Christianity.  "O Monogenes" is a hymn.  "Amazing Grace" - for all of its flaws - is a hymn.  Kirk Franklin's Stomp or some pop song aping the sound of contemporary hipster rock bands are not hymns.)

Unfortunately they're in Arabic. Maybe someone can convince him to translate it.

Glory to God!  Thanks, Jonathan and thank the translator.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »

Yes!!! For some reason!?! He keeps forgetting the "?!?" And I have to constantly remind him!!!

Grin

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »

Don't worry, I'm going, even if I have to eat Oodles of Noodles and peanut butter & jelly for the rest of the summer.

Awesome. We will be expecting a summary report when you get back.  Cheesy

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »

Awesome. We will be expecting a summary report when you get back.  Cheesy

You got it!  It will be available for $150.00 plus whatever I shall out in train fair and hotel rooms!  Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: