OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 11:19:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: November 2008 Post of the Month!  (Read 2032 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »

(Dateline OC.net Palace): The teeming masses milling about the vast courtyard of the OC.net palace were rewarded with a rare site: the balcony doors from Fr Chris' brewpub/bowling alley/movie theater opened! As the Palace Heralds provided a triumphal fanfare on their sackbuts, Fr Chris wandered to the balcony railing and made a statement:

"In the majority decision of the Moderatorial Team of OC.net, it is my great honor to award Minasoliman the title "Post of the Month" for November 2008! His gift to the site was this work of art:

Why is it hard to believe in these beings for you?

I'm not sure how to explain it exactly. I've never really had spiritual experiences. Religion has largely been an intellectual pursuit for me, with bodily discipline (fasting, etc.) thrown in because I know it is beneficial. But actual experiences I am short on. I think I've had one in my life, and that wasn't anything lofty or great, it was just the feeling that there was something other around. Even my belief in God is largely intellectual, which is one reason that I was probably prone to fall into disbelief. I'm not sure what to say beyond that. I just have a hard time believing in these invisible beings flying around, planting thoughts in my head or trying to get me react a certain way. I mean, I believe on a purely intellectual level that there is such a being as the devil, but in practice in my daily life I have a hard time accepting all the extra doctrines and practices having to do with the demons.

I know how you feel.  I admit, I'm the same way, which is why I have a tendency to attack whatever contemporary miracles people talk about, some that are so far-fetched.  I remember Steve Harvey making a joke about people's "testimonies:"

"Lord, I bought something from a store...and Lord, I didn't like the dress, and Lord Jesus, thank you, I had the receipt, and Lord, Jesus I was able to return the dress with full refund, praise the Lord, Alleluia!"

To which Steve answered, "That ain't no miracle; that's a store policy!"

That's how I feel when I here some of the bizarre testimonies of fellow Christians on what they experienced, from things that are coincidences to bizarre Narnia-like experiences.

To answer your question though, I notice a difference between when I pray a lot to times when I don't pray.  I get a sense of peace and comfort in prayer, and I am able to combat my weaknesses better.  Truly, experience does help in my belief, that faith is something to be experienced.  I've never met an angel or a demon, not even a saint (except maybe my grandfather in my dreams), but I feel weaker spiritually without prayer.  I try to think that I'm consubstantial with them, since we are two natures in one, angelic and animalistic, which helps a little, i.e. that part of me is what I see around me and part of me is the intellectual self-awareness, something that cannot be seen, which what angels and demons are.

But I don't believe that everything that I am tempted with come from demons.  Could be a tendency of my own, a thorn in my flesh that I must battle, like the tendency to intellectualize things.  Wink  But I'm sure God Who understands your and my weaknesses in this issue would be more than happy if you and I continue to pray and live a life of repentance even when having trouble believing in the angels that help us and the demons that cause strife, dare I say the former (prayer and repentance) more important than the latter (belief in angels and demons).

God bless.

To which, the corwd roared its approval

AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS!

Inserted year into title - Cleveland, GM
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:18:51 PM by cleveland » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:24:42 PM »

Indeed, axios! Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »

Great post.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:36:52 PM »

Excellent Post. AXIOS AXIOS

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »

AXIOS!!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »

AXIOS!!!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »

AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:23:55 PM »

AXIOS!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:10:48 AM »

AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS! Grin
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »

AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:53:23 PM »

Axios!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags: Post of the Month 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: