OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 07:58:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pilgrimage to the Holy Mountain  (Read 5361 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: March 02, 2005, 11:39:16 PM »

Hello all,

This coming Tuesday I will be leaving for my upcoming pilgrimage to the Holy Mountain and would appreciate a few prayers for safe travel  Smiley

Also since I will be will be gone for over two months I am temporarily resigning my post as a board moderator...

While the vast majority of my time will be spent on the Holy Mountain, particularly Philotheou, I do hope to bring back pictures for posting of all over the Holy Mountain.  Also hopefully I will be able to visit some of the Holy Places in Thessaloniki.  I will also be in Stuttgart, Germany for about a week - so hopefully I can bring some pictures of St. Nikolai's Cathdral home as well. 

So for the next few days I will be quite busy packing and getting things ready, saying goodbye to friends and family etc. so I probably won't be posting... so goodbye!

Nektarios
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:51:29 PM »

Prayers for your safe travel.  Vaya con Dios!

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 11:55:47 PM »

prayers indeed Smiley have a great time!

hmmmm...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 11:56:43 PM »

Have a blessed and enjoyful pilgrimage.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 12:34:00 AM »

Nektarios,
How can a "Holy Mountain" let Poles onto it?   Grin
Anyway, we'll chat before you go I"m sure...but be assured of prayers for a safe and edifying journey!
If you decide to stay, we'll understand. Maybe you can moderate from Athos.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 12:55:58 AM »

Thats awesome!

One of these days, I hope to go there......maybe when my greek is a little better.......like, exhistant. Roll Eyes

Peace be the journey!  God Bless you Cool

Ian Lazarus :grommit:

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:36:32 AM »

Thats awesome!
One of these days, I hope to go there......maybe when my greek is a little better.......like, exhistant. Roll Eyes

Both Oblio and Iacobus have been to the Holy Mountain with zero Greek skills. You'd be suprised how many of the monks there speak English so if language is the only thing holding you back, get thee on a plane to Thessaloniki right now! Smiley
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 03:40:03 AM »

+¥+¦+¦-ä+¼-ü+¦+¦,
are you still arriving on the twelfth? It seems I will be able to accompany you for the first few days after all, but I need to confirm the dates. Also, PM me your flight details so I can meet you at the airport.

See you soon,
John.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 09:55:48 AM »

Prayers for a safe trip.  Remember me in yours while there. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 11:34:58 AM »

You leave with my prayers, +¥+¦+¦-ä+¦-ü+¦++-é.

I look forward to your increased erudition in Greek upon your return.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 09:33:03 PM »

I hope and pray you have a good trip!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:13:37 AM »

God be with you on your trip!  Philotheou is a GREAT monastery to stay at!  I particularly remember Fr. Demetrios (he used to be the lumberjack/guy in charge of the oven...a giant muscle-head of a monk).  He's a nice guy.  Everyone will want to know if you "know" Geronda Ephraim, at least they did when I went.  Don't worry about the Greek thing if you don't speak it...there's always someone there who speaks English.  I hope you have a blessed journey!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 01:03:41 AM »

Thank you everyone for the prayers, for I will surely need them.  This is my last post before leaving tomorrow afternoon.  I ask you to forgive me my constant sins and failings on this board.  God willing, I shall be back after Pascha - but who knows exactly.

Nektarios
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 07:47:06 AM »

Thank you everyone for the prayers, for I will surely need them. This is my last post before leaving tomorrow afternoon. I ask you to forgive me my constant sins and failings on this board. God willing, I shall be back after Pascha - but who knows exactly.

Nektarios

Panagitsa protect you always.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 07:52:27 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 02:58:55 AM »

Halo all!

I made it through the first leg of my trek with only some minor setbacks.... but I am in Germany now enjoying plenty of good beer and food.  Hopefully I'll find Prodromos on Saturday and Sunday it is the Holy Mountain!

Nektarios
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 06:48:31 AM »

Don't worry. Assuming your plane is on time I'll find you Cheesy
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 04:02:55 PM »

With the way things are going thus far for me....  well sine it won't be british Airways maybe I will actually be on time and maybe they will also figuere out that I would like to have my luggage arrive at the same time as I do.  It is almost worth staying on the Athos for the sole fact that I wouldn't have to deal with BA or Heathrow ever again.  Hopefully all will be well by Saturday Smiley
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 04:23:30 PM »

With the way things are going thus far for me.... well sine it won't be british Airways maybe I will actually be on time and maybe they will also figuere out that I would like to have my luggage arrive at the same time as I do. It is almost worth staying on the Athos for the sole fact that I wouldn't have to deal with BA or Heathrow ever again. Hopefully all will be well by Saturday Smiley

I see BA and Heathrow are still the same as they were on my last trip over. It will just make your reward at journey's end that much better!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 06:25:23 PM »

Should have flown Virgin Airways.

JB

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 10:55:05 AM »

Hey Prodomos!
We need a "+Â¥+¦+¦-ä+¦-ü+¦++-é Sighting Report" ; been six days since last sighting.  Cheesy

Demetri

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 05:08:25 AM »

Hey Prodomos!
We need a "+¥+¦+¦-ä+¦-ü+¦++-é Sighting Report" ; been six days since last sighting. Cheesy

Hey, I only just got back myself Wink

Well Elder Ephreim may have arranged everything for Nektarios' stay at Philotheou monastery until Pascha, but someone forgot to tell the pilgrim office at Ouranoupoli as there was no "Diamonitirio" waiting for him on Sunday morning (diamonitirio is the permit required to enter Mount Athos, kind of like a visa). So we just sat patiently while they harrumphed and growled and made other threatening noises until eventually they called Nektarios over and told him they would allow him to enter after all. Not that we had any doubts, there were hardly any other people going to Mount Athos that day.

The ferry ride to Dafni was interesting as there was a bit of wind causing some waves which made life interesting for the captain at each of the stops along the way. The boat approached each dock at a bit of an angle and after dropping the ramp on the dock there was about a ten to fifteen second interval for people to jump on or off the boat while the back end of the ferry continued to swing around and eventually pull away from the dock. The driver of the single vehicle which disembarked at Zographou must have been praying frantically Cheesy.

From Dafni we caught the bus to Karyes, and from there we took a minibus to the monastery of Philotheou. On arrival at the guesthouse we were treated to some powerful raki (tsipouro) and loukoumia before being shown to our rooms. Not long after it was time for the Esperino (Vespers) at around 2:30pm which was followed immediatedly after by Trapeza, the single meal for the day. After the meal it was time for bed as the sun had already gone down. I discovered later that the monasteries on the Eastern side of Athos are on a different clock to those on the Western side as the sun disappears a couple of hours earlier on the East side of the penninsular. So while we were woken at around 2.00am for Orthros at Philotheou, at Simonopetra Orthros did not begin until 4.00am. After the morning service, we were given the opportunity to venerate the relics held at the monastery, among which is the incorrupt right hand of St John Chrysostom. At 8.00am it was time for the Hours, after which we were free to wander around for a bit. All in all, at least seven to eight hours are spent in church each day in the monastery.

Nektarios settled in pretty quickly after a bit of adjustment as he had assumed that Philotheou would be pretty much identical to how things were run at St Anthony's. For example, he had set his alarm to wake him up in time for the midnight "Jesus Prayer" service only to find that there wasn't one.

Tuesday morning, just before the Hours, I set off to walk to Simonopetra on the other side of the penninsular. The monks I had mentioned my plans to all suggested I take the minibus to Karyes and then the bus to Dafni and walk from there, and I later regretted not taking their advice. About fifteen to twenyt minutes from Philotheou is the cave of St Dionysios, one time abbot of Philotheou and later founder of monastery on Mount Olympus. He lived in the cave, not much more than a rock overhang, while he was abbot of Philotheou, in order to be able to pray undisturbed. Half an hour further on, I discovered why the monks had suggested I not walk to Simonopetra, the roads were covered in snow which made walking that much more of an effort. I'm not in what you would call peak physical condition, and it goot to the point where I would have to stop and wait for my pulse rate to settle down a little after every fifteen steps or so. After making my way to the other side, I missed the turnoff for the pathway to Simonopetra and walked for about fifteen minutes before figuring I must have taken a wrong turn and made my way back. I finally reached Simonopetra after about four and a half hours of walking. While there I was able to venerate the incorrupt right hand of Saint Mary Magdalan, which not only is still soft and supple, but continues to maintain body temperature.

I learned that many of the monks at Simonopetra are formerly of the monastery of Mega Meteora, coming to Mount Athos as refugees of the tourist invasion at Meteora. I've often marvelled at the cross borne by Father Iasaf, the sole monk living at Mega Meteora, having to put up with the almost constant stream of tourists.

The following morning I made the twenty minute walk to the port directly below the monastery and caught the ferryboat to Dafni and from there back to Ouranoupoli, during which I managed to get my face thoroughly sunburnt Tongue. Yesterday was spent at home relaxing with my family Smiley

Depending on my workload, I may be back on Mount Athos before Pascha, but I'll be spending Pascha itself with my family. I don't expect to hear from Nektarios in the meantime, once the monks learned that Father Paisios is his spiritual father, he was welcomed like a brother who had been abroad for many years (and it was bear hugs if they learned that he had actually met Elder Ephreim Cheesy)

John
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 05:42:00 AM »

Thanks John.
Your report makes me feel as if I'm there!

ajajajaj44

Faith: christian orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orth. Church

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 06:51:56 PM »

Nektarios,
<<<<<what does"POles " mean ?

Fixed quote tags (I think)  - Peter
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:42:38 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 07:58:43 AM »

Nektarios,
<<<<<what does"POles " mean ?

Fixed quote tags (I think)  - Peter
I believe he means people from Poland.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: