OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:36:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Churches Cross Over Chocolate Jesus  (Read 1351 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 27, 2008, 10:34:50 AM »

Germany's churches criticised a businessman on Tuesday for selling thousands of Jesus chocolates.

Frank Oynhausen set up his 'Sweet Lord' chocolate Jesus-making business saying he wanted to restore some traditional religious values to Christmas in Germany.

But the German Protestant Church criticised the idea as 'tasteless' and the Roman Catholic Church was not amused...

To read the rest of the story go to: Churches Cross Over Chocolate Jesus

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:35:55 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »

I wonder if its ok to gobble up on the image of Jesus. But then again, we do eat the very body of our Lord Himself,made present for us. I dont really know if this is desecration, but on my part, id rather not have one if given the chance. Undecided

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 01:26:50 PM »

I don't see what's so bad about the Chocolate Jesus. I think it would remind kids and adults of their faith, which used to be the top thing on many peoples' minds long ago. I think it's a sweet reminder of our Lord's presence around us. Besides, this isn't the first time I've seen religious sweeties. This website sells chocolate scared hearts, buddhas, etc.

http://www.chocolatedeities.com/deityl.php?deity=calendar

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »

I think he should've made chocolate- macadamia nut toy tops that say "Spin from Sin"... Cool

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:56:05 PM »

I don't see what's so bad about the Chocolate Jesus.

You wouldn't find it a little bit disconcerting to be biting off the head of Jesus? I'm usually pretty open-minded, but this one sort of bugs me. Smiley
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »

You wouldn't find it a little bit disconcerting to be biting off the head of Jesus? I'm usually pretty open-minded, but this one sort of bugs me. Smiley
Ummm...you eat His Flesh and drink His Blood on Sundays..... Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 07:24:49 PM »

Germany's churches criticised a businessman on Tuesday for selling thousands of Jesus chocolates.

Frank Oynhausen set up his 'Sweet Lord' chocolate Jesus-making business saying he wanted to restore some traditional religious values to Christmas in Germany.

But the German Protestant Church criticised the idea as 'tasteless' and the Roman Catholic Church was not amused...

To read the rest of the story go to: Churches Cross Over Chocolate Jesus

The actual German word they used was "tasteless." Ich glaube das nicht, Schoko-Jesus schmeckt sehr gut, meine ich!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 09:03:22 PM »

Ummm...you eat His Flesh and drink His Blood on Sundays.....

A bit different...
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »

Ich glaube das nicht, Schoko-Jesus schmeckt sehr gut, meine ich!

laugh

Frank's intentions are probably good, but I'm just not sure how I feel about this! Undecided  Huh  Grin

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:10:27 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 09:48:17 PM »

I don't see what's so bad about the Chocolate Jesus.

LOL! As long as the kids aren't pretending to be Godzilla or Satan biting off the head of a person, Content edited due to its explicit nature -username! section moderator . People have been buying chocolate crosses for a long time for Easter, so this shouldn't be that blasphemic. It could be worse, with the minds of men nowadays. They could be selling a chocolate image of Jesus in his final moments. That would be different because you would be eating the image of a suffering person.
 This material is unacceptable on oc.net which as you are aware is an Orthodox Christian forum.  You know you have been reprimanded several times before for posting sexually explicit material on oc.net.  It is unacceptable.  You are hereby on post moderation for posting sexually explicit material here on oc.net.

-username! section moderator
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:07:20 PM by FrChris » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:42:50 PM »

You wouldn't find it a little bit disconcerting to be biting off the head of Jesus?

I know some people that would start at the feet.  This from easter bunny experience.

Well, I know if they were marketed in this country, it would be "SWEET LORD JESUS" Sold Chocolate Candy.  "Divine Mercy Never Tasted So Good!"

I hope they have one with almonds. 

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: