OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French Bible: Which version is authoritative?  (Read 1784 times) Average Rating: 5
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: November 24, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »

Know this post is in English but figured this was the most apt section of the forums to post it in. Please forgive any error on my part if it ought be elsewhere.
~~~

Anyway, in English the Authorised King James Version is generally considered to be the authoritative version to which every other version is compared and to which most traditionalists hold fast.
(The only other English version which may come close to having the same status would be the Roman Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible as Roman Catholics are forbidden to read the KJV and many traditionalist Roman Catholics hold to this translation.)

Question: Which French translation holds the equivalent status in French as the KJV does in English?

With the little research done on this topic, it seems the Louis Segond Bible of 1910 would be the choice however it seems to only have 66 books. Is this a Protestant translation? Is anyone able to elaborate upon its background (as in who is responsible for its translation)?

The only other serious candidate might be Darby's 1885 French translation. However the work of one man may be somewhat questionable even if he was a fine linguist.

Is there an official Roman Catholic version at all?

Any other suggestions welcome though please provide some reason behind your answers.

Thank you.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Frederic

Faith: Roman Catholicism > Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Antioch

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:44:10 PM »

Among French Roman Catholics, the preferred Bible is the Bible de Jérusalem. It is not an official Bible, but it is the version a Roman Catholic is most likely to have at home.

Most Protestants hold to Louis Segond's Bible.

The Traduction œcuménique de la Bible (TOB) is rather unpopular. Although much praised for being ecumenical, it is shunned by a vast majority of both Catholics and Protestants.

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: