OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 28, 2014, 10:29:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Turbines Near Holy Trinity Monastery  (Read 5414 times) Average Rating: 0
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« on: November 20, 2008, 12:34:09 AM »

There is a plan to install (40) wind turbines in a close proximity to Holy Trinity Monastery (ROCOR) in Jordanville, NY:
http://www.jordanville.org/news_081108_1.html
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:25 AM »

I'm sorry, but as much as I want to support monasteries (in general), I think their claims are rather spurious and reactionary.  I have been around the same distance from new large wind turbines and have never heard any noise - they are just too far away.  You really need to be a lot closer to notice. 
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:53 AM »

Perhaps you were downwind? I had an opposite experience with those atop the Laurel Mts. here in PA - driving in winter with windows closed, sound was terrible, and a bit further than 1-1 2/4 miles away at that.

Prayers for the monks.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:55:55 AM »

I drove through Somerset County, PA and Grant County, WV (both Jurisdictions have wind turbines on the ridge tops) and didn't hear anything even though winds were calm and I was in a car with AC.

In a 40 MPH wind, I'm confident that the turbines would scream like banshees.

In a 10 MPH gentle breeze, I can't imagine the turbines being louder than a long distant highway roar?

The monks could always wear earplugs.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 04:27:38 AM »

Perhaps you were downwind? I had an opposite experience with those atop the Laurel Mts. here in PA - driving in winter with windows closed, sound was terrible, and a bit further than 1-1 2/4 miles away at that.

Prayers for the monks.

Yes, pray for God's will...but not paranoia that the serenity of the monastery would be ruined if they do go in.  Furthermore, recent technology (past 10 years) has them a log quiter.  You may have been near older turbines (80's versions).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:28:38 AM by Elisha » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

NIMBY strikes again.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:03:22 AM »

Prayers for the monks.

Yes, pray for God's will...but not paranoia that the serenity of the monastery would be ruined if they do go in.  Furthermore, recent technology (past 10 years) has them a log quiter.  You may have been near older turbines (80's versions).

They're designed to spin a lot slower now for the sake of noise.  The older ones had issues with spinning so fast that the tips of the rotors would actually break the sound barrier causing incredible noise.  The individual ones I have seen recently, like the one on lakeshore in downtown Toronto seem rather quiet, however, I have never actually been close to a "wind farm."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »

It looks as if the monastery will be upwind from the turbines (and noise travels best downwind).  However, neither knowing the topography of the area, nor the proximity of the turbines to other towns, I don't know if it is indeed a good idea (the location).

Praying for the best resolution to the situation is the only course of action that makes sense.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:26:31 PM »

Oh, geez, not this again.  For the past few years, people in my county have been arguing over wind farms.  First they tried to stop the farm from going up; that didn't work, and now that the turbines are up, the complaints still keep coming to the newspaper opinion page..... Seems like the arguing will never end because people disagree over whether or not the turbines are noisy, making people sick, etc.  It's a very tiresome argument.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »

How would wind turbines make people sick?  Not being cheeky, I'm genuinely curious.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »

As a person who has worked in the electrical generation industry his entire adult life, I have my doubts that the wind turbines will have any negative impact on the monastery other than impacting the view (which I suspect is the real issue here).  I don't like wind turbines for practical reasons (they cost more to operate than they will ever generate).  But, I don't think noise will be an issue from that distance and upwind to boot.  Perhaps they would like a nuclear powerplant nearby.  They take up less room and don't make much noise except for start-up and shutdown.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »

I think they say the sickness is dizziness, caused by "flicker" from the turbines. 

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 11:32:28 PM »

Is there an issue with vibration?  I would suppose that this would be an issue if it is present; the presence of constant vibration could cause disorientation or sickness, no? (Amongst all the users on this site, do we have any MD/DO's or Engineers?)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 01:24:24 AM »

Well, I am an engineer, but my specialty is construction. I am not a designer of the wind turbines. There are some different, sometimes opposite opinions on the impact of this equipment:

http://forums.alternative-energy-news.info/topic/169
http://www.savewesternny.org/docs/pierpont_testimony.html
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 08:32:23 AM »

Well, I am an engineer, but my specialty is construction. I am not a designer of the wind turbines. There are some different, sometimes opposite opinions on the impact of this equipment:

http://forums.alternative-energy-news.info/topic/169
http://www.savewesternny.org/docs/pierpont_testimony.html

Great stuff.  Thank you for the links.  There does seem to be evidence, especially in the "Pierpont Testimony" transcript, for adverse psychological and physiological effects wrought by the presence of wind turbines, and through the forum discussion in the first link, for adverse ecological effects.

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 08:36:38 AM »

I drove through Somerset County, PA and Grant County, WV (both Jurisdictions have wind turbines on the ridge tops) and didn't hear anything even though winds were calm and I was in a car with AC.

I couldn't resist a comment...of what use are windmills in a calm wind? Of course they'd be quiet then.  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 10:04:55 AM »

Where I live, there are several large windfarms, all built in the last ten years, within a half- to one hour's drive away. I have been within a few hundred yards of the turbines during a stiff wind, and have only heard a low-intensity hum, certainly nothing like the scream of a jet engine. I really don't think the monks should have too much to worry about, if the turbine design is carefully chosen. Ecological effects? Little more than the odd errant bird being dispatched by the blades, and even then, this is quite rare.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: