OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 01:05:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invitation to Barack Obama to visit an Orthodox Church and become a catechumen  (Read 2740 times) Average Rating: 5
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« on: November 24, 2008, 01:30:00 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ, our Eternal King

I have followed the President-elect's relationship to the church and his self-professed Christian faith fairly closely.  Saying nothing of his former pastor's point of view myself, I certainly noticed Mr. Obama's rather quick exit from his church home and pastoral relationship of many years.  Since then, other than isolated speaking engagements, he has stayed away from church.  An article released today entitled Obama skips church, heads to gym confirms this observation.

It seems to me that it would be our duty to formally invite the president to attend services and inquire about the ancient faith.  Seeing that he is unchurched, even in his own mind, it presents us with an opportunity to do this.  I also think that there are many unique aspects of the Orthodox Church and her history that will appeal to Mr. Obama (not to mention Mrs. Obama).

I ask that if you agree with this sentiment, that you speak to your priest/bishop and encourage them to offer a formal invitation to the president-elect.  Perhaps a single invitation signed by SCOBA bishops or SCOOCH would be a good idea?  I really don't know myself.  This has been something I've thought and prayed about for a few months now so I decided this forum is as good as place as any to put it out there.

Second, I ask that everyone joins and prays that Barack Obama will surround himself with good counsel to help him deal with the many problems our country and world face when he takes office 1/20/09.

Thanks in Christ
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:36:27 AM by Eleos » Logged

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:25:31 AM »

This topic was transfered from the Convert Issues Forum.

Thom

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »

Sounds like a good idea to me! I would love to see President elect Obama become an Orthodox Christian!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

Well sure it sounds like a good idea.  Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »

It sounds like a possible idea Tongue

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »

Pray, yes, and don't expect it to happen.   Huh
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 02:14:19 PM »

Pray, yes, and don't expect it to happen.   Huh

Oh ye of little faith! Tongue

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

Just remember that it is punishable by death for Muslims to apostasize! Wink

Oh, did I just say that?  Mea culpa!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »

Just remember that it is punishable by death for Muslims to apostasize! Wink

Oh, did I just say that?  Mea culpa!

But do those rules apply to those who are only "secretly" Muslim?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:25:47 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »

Just remember that it is punishable by death for Muslims to apostasize!

Apostasize?  That sounds like something you would do at a McDonald's drive-through.

Seriously though, I am interested to know what punishments, if any, Orthodox canons have prescribed for those who apostatize from the Christian faith.  Does anybody have any pertinent information?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »

Those who apostatised freely--that is, without the compulsion of fear--are to do twelve years' penance before being admitted to Holy Communion. If, before the penance is completed, they fall sick and are in danger of death they may receive Holy Viaticum.
- one ofe 1st Nicea's statements

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 08:48:40 PM »

Those who apostatised freely--that is, without the compulsion of fear--are to do twelve years' penance before being admitted to Holy Communion. If, before the penance is completed, they fall sick and are in danger of death they may receive Holy Viaticum.

Holy Viaticum??

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »

Apostasize?  That sounds like something you would do at a McDonald's drive-through.

Yeah, I'll take a Big Mac, a large fries, a large diet coke and could you apostasize that?  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »

Yeah, I'll take a Big Mac, a large fries, a large diet coke and could you apostasize that?  Thanks.

Of course that comes with the patented Arius key ring

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »

No problem, sir.  Your total is $6.66.  Please pull around to the first window.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »

Holy Viaticum??

With (cum) you (ti) on the journey (via).  Death bed communion of the sick.

Welcome home, Barack.  Come aboard.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:52:41 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »

Holy Viaticum??
The last Holy Communion, i propably took this from RC site

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ, our Eternal King

I have followed the President-elect's relationship to the church and his self-professed Christian faith fairly closely.  Saying nothing of his former pastor's point of view myself, I certainly noticed Mr. Obama's rather quick exit from his church home and pastoral relationship of many years.  Since then, other than isolated speaking engagements, he has stayed away from church.  An article released today entitled Obama skips church, heads to gym confirms this observation.

It seems to me that it would be our duty to formally invite the president to attend services and inquire about the ancient faith.  Seeing that he is unchurched, even in his own mind, it presents us with an opportunity to do this.  I also think that there are many unique aspects of the Orthodox Church and her history that will appeal to Mr. Obama (not to mention Mrs. Obama).

I ask that if you agree with this sentiment, that you speak to your priest/bishop and encourage them to offer a formal invitation to the president-elect.  Perhaps a single invitation signed by SCOBA bishops or SCOOCH would be a good idea?  I really don't know myself.  This has been something I've thought and prayed about for a few months now so I decided this forum is as good as place as any to put it out there.

Second, I ask that everyone joins and prays that Barack Obama will surround himself with good counsel to help him deal with the many problems our country and world face when he takes office 1/20/09.

Thanks in Christ

That is a fun thing to day dream about especially since my parish is in the DC area.

Unfortunately, he has to worry about things other than his own personal salvation such as how it would look for Russian USA relations, The abortion issue, belonging to a  white congregation (though St. John the Baptist Cathedral in DC has a black Priest who officiates at the English Service), Relations with the RCC ( who would do back flips)..............on and on.

The best case for such a leader is the example of Prince Charles who certainly cant convert but who may have secretly taken up the Orthodox faith by all accounts.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: