OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:38:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rosetta Stone  (Read 3706 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: November 22, 2008, 02:41:21 AM »

Has anyone used Rosetta Stone to learn a language, and if so, what did you think of it? I'm thinking of buying it to learn Greek, but it's pretty expensive, so I wanted to get some opinions of it before I plunk down the money for it.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 02:49:40 AM »

Greek: Οχι.  Δεν πιστευω οτι το "Rosetta Stone" θα σε βοηθισει τοσο πολυ.

Phoenetic Greek: Ohee, Den Pistevo otee to "Rosetta Stone" tha se voethese toso poli.

English: No, I don't believe that the "Rosetta Stone" will help you that much

Greek lesson over.   Wink
While "Rosetta Stone" may be good for basic conversation, deeper learning needs to come by practice and the classroom.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:32:37 AM »

I had access to Rosetta Stone. I guess it is better than nothing, but the best thing is just to try to speak the language a little bit every day with someone else.

Have you looked at the Before You Know It (BYKI) site? I tried it a few years ago, and learned enough Irish Gaelic to have simple conversations with folks. It has a free initial download (they try to get you to purchase 'deluxe' versions, of course)  and Greek is one of the options. Still, what worked for me was a combination of the learning program with real conversations that tested your knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.

They may have changed what is free and what is not, but it served as a basic introduction for me.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »

Has anyone used Rosetta Stone to learn a language, and if so, what did you think of it? I'm thinking of buying it to learn Greek, but it's pretty expensive, so I wanted to get some opinions of it before I plunk down the money for it.

Which form of Greek are you interested in learning, Asteriktos? Modern Greek? Koine Greek (the language of the New Testament)? or any of the ancient forms of the language? There are significant differences between these forms.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »

As a language teacher, let me just share a few thoughts about Rosetta Stone.

1)  Rosetta stone will have you memorize by rote phrases and words that let you manipulate them, but severely hinder your abilities to create the language.   When I have visited other countries, the people there are flattered when you speak their language, but if you only know a handful of phrases that are particular to a certain context, it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to create the language on your own and the people you are conversing with get frustrated.

2)  Rosetta stone does not adequately give you the appropriate cultural context in which to use such phrases.

3)  It is way too much money for what you get.  There are some other language programs which are much cheaper and will give you the same thing. 

If you wish to learn Greek, I would recommend that if there is a Greek Orthodox Church near you, inquire whether they have a "Greek school."  Such things are for the younger generation (like kids) who are so removed from their Greek homeland, but it may be worth it. Just mho

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

Thanks, I guess I won't be getting it then! Smiley  As to what I'm wanting to learn, Koine Greek would be the first choice, but I figured that maybe if I picked up a little modern Greek using an easy-to-use program, it'd make learning Koine Greek easier. I'm not very good with learning foreign languages, unfortunately, and there are no Greek Churches close by here (the closest one is about an hour drive from here).

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »

I realize that this post is well over a year old, but...

I have used Rosetta Stone (for free through the US Army) to learn Italian. I liked it a lot! Not only did it teach me phrases but I was able to pick up on the constants between phrases to pick out individual words and how they could be changed depending on the situation.

And btw language experts have found that although a language may have many words in its vocabulary, there are only a very few words and phrases that are used on average, learning those phrases will give you what could be considered a mastery in that language.

All of that being said, Rosetta Stone would not be very beneficial in learning ancient languages like Greek and Hebrew, they only offer modern (at least from the courses I could take which was supposed to be all of them).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: