OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:16:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy of St. James  (Read 2012 times) Average Rating: 0
holdencaulfield

Faith: Russian Orthodox

« on: November 21, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »

I was just curious about how long (this is to all non-Chalcedonians) your Liturgy goes.

"For better is a laudable war than a peace which severs a man from God" - St Gregory the Theologian
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »

I was just curious about how long (this is to all non-Chalcedonians) your Liturgy goes.
First, are you certain the Liturgy of St. James is merely an OO liturgy?  IIRC, even some EO churches celebrate this liturgy for particular days of the year.

Second, do OO even celebrate the Liturgy of St. James?
holdencaulfield

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »

I am under the impression that they do. Well regardless, I would just like to know about how similar/different their liturgy is.

"For better is a laudable war than a peace which severs a man from God" - St Gregory the Theologian
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

Check out the other threads related to this one, using the tag below.  There are definitely OO Churches that use the Liturgy of St. James.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »

Check out the other threads related to this one, using the tag below.  There are definitely OO Churches that use the Liturgy of St. James.
Cool! Cool  I kinda thought this might be the case.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:08 PM »

With regard to how long our liturgies last, it depends on the Church. 

I've been told the Armenian Church uses a version of the St. Chrysostom liturgy, with some of St. Basil's mixed in.  There are also some other influences, including some things borrowed from the Catholics during the Crusades.  Typically, Armenian liturgies will go for two, or two and a half hours.

I think the Coptic liturgy is from St. Basil.  The Coptic liturgies I've been to will last anywhere from two to three hours.  They also have another rather short liturgy that was recorded by St. Cyril, but attributed to St. Mark.  That one is not used so much.  I've only been to one such liturgy.

The Syriac Orthodox Church uses St. James.  It has been a long time since I have been to a Syriac Church, but I seem to recall the liturgy being at least a couple of hours long.

I don't know who the Ethiopians attribute their liturgy to.  I know their traditions regarding chant, though, come from St. Yared.  Their liturgies usually go for four to five hours.  At least that is my experience here in Los Angeles.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:08:48 AM »

The British Orthodox Church under the Coptic Church uses a liturgy they call the Liturgy of St. James.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
holdencaulfield

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »

With regard to how long our liturgies last, it depends on the Church. 
Okay thanks. Interesting. I know that is the same for the EO Church. Sometimes they can go very long, and other times they don't. It really just depends, I know that the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom can go as long four hours, but it depends on jurisdiction, diocese, parish like everything. Mine goes about two hours.

Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:29:48 AM »

In our church (Coptic) we use three diferent liturgies; mostly St Basil's - about 3 - 3 1/4 hours, then during lent St Cyril's - which is the Coptic translation of St Mark's which is about 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 hours ; and then very rarely St Gregory's, but I don't remember how long that lasts . . . I thinks it's even longer. 
Tags: St. James Liturgy diversity in practice Oriental Orthodox liturgy liturgical texts Armenian Church Syriac Orthodox Coptic Orthodox Church Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: