Author Topic: In a baby food rut  (Read 3698 times)

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
In a baby food rut
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »
Now that Caitlin is a year old and has seven teeth, we're able to feed her a few more kinds of food.  However, we've fallen into a food rut now.  She'll eat sweet potatoes, crackers, pasta with sauce, and fruit but I can't get her to eat anything else.  I know it's common for kids to get stuck on one food exclusively but I'm afraid she's not getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs (though I do give her a vitamin supplement with juice). 

Is there any trick to getting her to try new food or at least eat a variety?  I've tried spices like cinnamon and ginger, slathering things with applesauce, and that works long enough to lick off the sauce and spice and spit out the food. :laugh:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: In a baby food rut
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »
She's already a vegetarian and a good faster.   ;D

Try eating the same food and letting her know that mommy likes it.  Worked with my son at that age.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »
She's already a vegetarian and a good faster.   ;D

Try eating the same food and letting her know that mommy likes it.  Worked with my son at that age.

No kidding!  She's tried some meat but she usually spits it back out.  I'll give your method a shot.  She's very into mimicry right now.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:07:18 PM »
Hey E! ;D

Have you tried intoducing the new foods when she's hungry before the old foods? Have you found any helpful sources on the Internet? :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:08:15 PM by Myrrh23 »
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
Hey E! ;D

Have you tried intoducing the new foods when she's hungry before the old foods? Have you found any helpful sources on the Internet? :)

Yeah and sometimes it works but if she's really tired or overly hungry it just makes her mad and she screams until she gets a cup of milk.  :P  Can't imagine where the stubborn genes come from...

Most of the sources on the web just say to keep trying different things and I'm sure she'll eventually like new things, but until then I don't much like sweeping the half eaten food off the floor while she's still complaining about being hungry.  ;)  I've tried putting butter on her veggies too and that seems to help sometimes. 

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
My kids eat what we eat. We have never used baby food actually. :laugh: So if we are having teriyaki chicken with rice, so do they. There is no reason she should have a completely seperate meal from everyone else. Kids don't like to have different food at this age, they want to feel "big." If we have burritos I slice up some avacado, give them some beans and other components and they have at it. At one year she can eat almost anything (except the obvious no-no's your doc tells you about).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:50:36 PM by Quinault »

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
My kids eat what we eat. We have never used baby food actually. :laugh: So if we are having teriyaki chicken with rice, so do they. There is no reason she should have a completely seperate meal from everyone else. Kids don't like to have different food at this age, they want to feel "big." If we have burritos I slice up some avacado, give them some beans and other components and they have at it. At one year she can eat almost anything (except the obvious no-no's your doc tells you about).

This will require me to eat better, though.   :laugh:  Seriously, though, I'll just have to lay off the hot sauce and crunchy things. 

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »
No, she may like spice in moderation actually. My eldest used to DRINK tabasco sauce, and all my kids eat salsa and chips when we are at a restaurant. Chips can even be OK if you give her smaller pieces. I start my kids on solids at 1 year. And when I do they eat anything and everything.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:26:36 PM by Quinault »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
Remember she was inside you for a long time and if you breastfeed/fed then she ate what youate to an extent. She is likely to enjoy many of the foods you enjoy. All my kids LOVE kalamata olives, garlic, feta, hummus and various greek foods. It isn't a coincidence that those are some of my favorite foods too.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »
She does like garlic but I'm afraid our salsa will be too hot for her.  We'll build her up to fire-breathing eventually!  :)  She loves anything with cinnamon in it, too, but she hated dill and anything too salty. 

Thankfully, we've got her off pureed food and onto soft chunks of food.  Sometimes I can get her to eat green beans but only when she's hungry and that's the only thing on her tray.  Meals are in courses at our house!

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:18:54 PM »
No, she may like spice in moderation actually. My eldest used to DRINK tabasco sauce, and all my kids eat salsa and chips when we are at a restaurant. Chips can even be OK if you give her smaller pieces. I start my kids on solids at 1 year. And when I do they eat anything and everything.
Yeah, my sons can't eat with tobasco.  Like father, like sons: it drives their mother crazy.  Often my sons wouldn't eat until I ate.  I remember a dinner when I had to put the spaghetti on my plate, and then scoop it back onto their plates.  Then they would eat it.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Órëlaurëa

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:09:28 PM »
She loves anything with cinnamon in it. . . 

This is funny. . . don't you dislike cinnamon? :D
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »
She loves anything with cinnamon in it. . . 

This is funny. . . don't you dislike cinnamon? :D

Yeah, in most cases.  :P

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
^ I think what you may dislike is not cinnamon but canela, a close relative of cinnamon that produces most of the "cinnamon-flavour" things in our grocery stores. Real cinnamon is far superior (and far pricier).
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Órëlaurëa

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »
Ah, yes. . . the whole issue of canela vs. cassia (Cinnamomum aromaticum) vs. true cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum). True Ceylon cinnamon is expensive, so often the others are substituted in lower-quality spice preparations. :)

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »
A 3-way comparison?  I always thought that cinnamon was cinnamon whether it came in sticks for making syrups or powder.  Hmmm, cinnamon powder over rice pudding....   ;D

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
^ I think what you may dislike is not cinnamon but canela, a close relative of cinnamon that produces most of the "cinnamon-flavour" things in our grocery stores. Real cinnamon is far superior (and far pricier).

Yeah, I think you're right.  Real cinnamon I like in moderate amounts but the scent of canela gives me a headache.

Incidentally, I've been trying some different things with Caitlin and I've discovered she's more receptive to vegetables if they have a little bit of butter or are swimming in applesauce.  :)  She also really likes bagels and cream cheese.  That's my girl!

Offline Órëlaurëa

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »
A 3-way comparison?  I always thought that cinnamon was cinnamon whether it came in sticks for making syrups or powder.  Hmmm, cinnamon powder over rice pudding....   ;D

EofK, Mr. Y and I watch far too much Good Eats to make such a simplification. ;)  However, most spices labeled "cinnamon" are canela or even cassia. The substitution costs less and the majority of consumers do not even know there is a difference. But know you know. . . and knowing is half the battle. :D

Offline Marc Hanna

• Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 11:36:56 PM »
If they're hungry, they will eat.  I've got four kids and I've gone through this several times.  Sometimes they miss a couple meals because they're being picky, it won't hurt them, but they learn quick - better eat before Mom and Dad take it away, and I got nothin' at all.

That's my two cents.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »
Remember she was inside you for a long time and if you breastfeed/fed then she ate what youate to an extent. She is likely to enjoy many of the foods you enjoy.

My wife was making this comment just seconds before we read your post.  This won't help with Caitlin, but with baby #2 (God bless you whenever s/he comes).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:12:18 AM by cleveland »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 12:59:14 AM »
EofK, Mr. Y and I watch far too much Good Eats to make such a simplification. ;) 

I feel Gordon Ramsey can differentiate between the 3 with his highly accurate palate.

However, most spices labeled "cinnamon" are canela or even cassia. The substitution costs less and the majority of consumers do not even know there is a difference. But know you know. . . and knowing is half the battle. :D

Another example of deceptive marketing by the spice industry.   ???  :o

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 08:07:26 AM »
Remember she was inside you for a long time and if you breastfeed/fed then she ate what youate to an extent. She is likely to enjoy many of the foods you enjoy.

My wife was making this comment just seconds before we read your post.  This won't help with Caitlin, but with baby #2 (God bless you whenever s/he comes).

I managed to breastfeed Cait for about 4 months before my work schedule interfered with my pumping schedule too much to continue, but she does like a lot of things I never thought she would and I think that's because of the breastfeeding.  She really likes garlic and cheese and she hates tomatoes. 

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »
EofK, Mr. Y and I watch far too much Good Eats to make such a simplification. ;)  However, most spices labeled "cinnamon" are canela or even cassia. The substitution costs less and the majority of consumers do not even know there is a difference. But know you know. . . and knowing is half the battle. :D
I can just see G.I. Joe delicately arranging apple slices in a pie pan. "No, COBRA, you don't get a slice."
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Órëlaurëa

• High Elder
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
Glad someone got the reference! ;)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
Glad someone got the reference! ;)

References to the "real American Hero (TM)" are always welcome!
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.