OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 29, 2014, 02:44:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Outsider's Impressions of Orthodoxy  (Read 32415 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:11 AM »

What are your thoughts on the last religion census, David?
And which subsets of protestantism are practicing and where abouts are they concentrated in Albania?
Is this a translation of your Albanian-language post above?
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2013, 03:56:21 AM »

I love the Arberesh dances and way of life.

I was, as you'd expect, visiting the Evangelical community each time. On the third visit two other chaps were with me (one English, one Kosovar), and we also visited the Orthodox bishop and had a fairly long session with him. He gave me a gift of two CDs of Arbëresh singing, much of it religious, and I find a lot of it hauntingly beautiful.

You ask about my thoughts concerning the Religious Census. Remember I live in Britain. Our one and only religious census was taken in 1851, more than 160 years ago. I have a copy for the county where I was born (Hampshire), and of course it gives a wealth of information - but probably not about what you're asking about!

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Trebor135

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »

Do you have a link where non-albanophiles can read about this? Smiley

David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2013, 04:01:18 AM »

Do you have a link where non-albanophiles can read about this? Smiley

Is the 'you' Trebor135 or me? Is the link to the religious census, or to Albania? Sorry to be so dense.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Trebor135

« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »

Is the 'you' Trebor135 or me? Is the link to the religious census, or to Albania? Sorry to be so dense.

I was hoping for a link from your side about the Albanian religious census.

David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2013, 04:11:31 AM »

I was hoping for a link from your side about the Albanian religious census.

Sorry. I didn't know there had been one. In Zog's time it was always said that the population was about 70% Moslem (Sunni and Bektashi), 20% Roman Catholic, and 10% Orthodox (originally Greek, later autocephalous). People assume the religious affiliation or heritage is the same today. There are estimated to be about 8,000 Evangelcials and Pentecostals, maybe as many as 10,000, though with more people attending meetings than have been converted to Christ in that context.

Trebor135

« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »

Sorry. I didn't know there had been one. In Zog's time it was always said that the population was about 70% Moslem (Sunni and Bektashi), 20% Roman Catholic, and 10% Orthodox (originally Greek, later autocephalous). People assume the religious affiliation or heritage is the same today. There are estimated to be about 8,000 Evangelcials and Pentecostals, maybe as many as 10,000, though with more people attending meetings than have been converted to Christ in that context.

No problem. Smiley But, in a country of just under three million inhabitants, isn't eight to ten thousand low-Church Protestants a drop in the bucket, amounting to less than 0.05% of the population? Huh

David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »

isn't eight to ten thousand low-Church Protestants a drop in the bucket,

Especially if the bucket leaks - and there is always a hemorrhage of personnel to Greece and elsewhere. I should have added that the Evangelical community is the fifth legally recognised religion: Moslem, Bektashi, RC, Orthodox, Ev.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »

Pershendetje!!

Falemnderit, gjithashtu juve. Nga jini? Unë kalova shumë kohë në Korçë dhe në Gjirokastër, si dhe Prishtinë. Pres me memzi përgjigjje.

Me origjine sigurisht nga Jugu i Shqiperise. E dini shume mire shqipen? Sa vjet keni jetuar atje?? Smiley
English Translation (from Google Translate): Originally from the south, of course. You know Albanian very well? How many years have you lived there?
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2013, 05:02:25 AM »

Pershendetje!!

Falemnderit, gjithashtu juve. Nga jini? Unë kalova shumë kohë në Korçë dhe në Gjirokastër, si dhe Prishtinë. Pres me memzi përgjigjje.

Me origjine sigurisht nga Jugu i Shqiperise. E dini shume mire shqipen? Sa vjet keni jetuar atje?? Smiley
English Translation (from Google Translate): Originally from the south, of course. You know Albanian very well? How many years have you lived there?

You didn't translate the emoticon!

Tags: Proselytizing Albania 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: